Subject: [Sip] RFC 3840 "feature tags" as URI parameters

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:55:14 -0400

I get the feeling from RFC 3840 that the feature tags should be removed from
any URI before it is used for routing requests.  Do you think that is
correct?

Is the presence of these parameters why the dialog event package goes to the
trouble of splitting URI parameters from the userinfo/hostport part of the
URI?  (See section 4.1.6.2 of draft-ietf-sipping-dialog-package-06 regarding
the <target> element.)

Dale

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 15:17:55 -0400

> any URI before it is used for routing requests.  Do you think that is

I just responded to you on sip-implementors about this same question. I 
don't think this is either expected or forbidden. IMO the least 
surprising behavior would be to leave them in.

> URI?  (See section 4.1.6.2 of draft-ietf-sipping-dialog-package-06 regarding

Don't know.

	Paul

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 01:58:19 -0400

> surprising behavior would be to leave them in.

Perhaps I am missing some context here, but the rfc3840 feature tags are 
not URI parameters, they are contact header field parameters. Thus, they 
would never be part of a URI and thus never show up in either request 
URI or contact. Since routing happens on reuqest URI and contact, I dont 
understand the issue.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:49:39 -0400

Johnathan,

Yeah, duh. You are right. Can't really carry over contact header 
parameters to the R-URI.

	Paul

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
>> I just responded to you on sip-implementors about this same question. 
>> I don't think this is either expected or forbidden. IMO the least

---

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 17:40:09 -0400

> From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
>

You are correct.  In my defense, 3840 doesn't point that fact out very
clearly, but the (sole?) example at the bottom of page 9 clearly shows these
as field parameters, not URI parameters.

Thanks for straightening this out,

Dale