Subject: RE: [Sip] clarifying the construction of the route header field at UA

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:53:37 -0700

Dale
You are likely correct - however, I am trying to figure out what
statements in the specs lead one to conclude that.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Dale R. Worley
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 8:08 AM
To: Sip
Subject: RE: [Sip] clarifying the construction of the route header field
at UA

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 13:41 -0700, [email-masked] wrote:
> Another item that appears to remain unspecified is the mid-dialog 
> request that is sent when no Record Route has been received in the 
> dialog establishing response. Does a pre-loaded Route or Service Route

> continue to be used on these requests?

No, the route set exists, but it is empty.  So the sender of the request
sends it directly to the other end's Contact.

(The terminology is unfortunate, as the logic is clearer if one were to
consider the Contact as the final element of the route set, with all
other elements being listed in Route headers.)

Dale

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Dale R. Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:07:26 -0400

> statements in the specs lead one to conclude that.

RFC 3261, section 12.1.1, paragraph 4, as well as that it is the only
way to be consistent with the other algorithms of SIP:

"The route set MUST be set to the list of URIs in the Record-Route
header field from the request, taken in order and preserving all URI
parameters.  If no Record-Route header field is present in the request,
the route set MUST be set to the empty set.  This route set, even if
empty, overrides any pre-existing route set for future requests in this
dialog."

Dale