Subject: [Sip] Mobile with Wi-Fi and SIP

From: Sundeep Udutha <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:23:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all ! 
 
I am new to the mailing group.I wanted to know of any work that is being done to get a SIP mobile phone to work using the Wi-Fi technology.I visualise a SIP phone working as VoIP supported by the Wi-Fi or Wi-MAX.And please send me any information or links to information which might let me understand the concept as beginner.
 
thanks,
Sundeep ! 

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Nathan Allen Stratton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 08:47:20 -0400 (EDT)

> I am new to the mailing group.I wanted to know of any work that is being done to get a SIP mobile phone to work using the Wi-Fi technology.I visualise a SIP phone working as VoIP supported by the W…

http://www.thefmca.com
http://www.3gpp.org (look at 23.806)

><>
Nathan Stratton
nathan at robotics.net
http://www.robotics.net

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 03:26:59 -0500

Nathan said:
 >>I am new to the mailing group.I wanted to know of any work that is 
being done to get a SIP mobile phone to work using the Wi-Fi 
technology.I visualise a SIP phone working as VoIP supported by the 
Wi-Fi or Wi-MAX.And please send me any information or links to 
information which might let me understand the concept as beginner.
 > http://www.3gpp.org (look at 23.806)

This is actually off-context for this list, but there isn't any special 
work needed to make SIP work over Wi-Fi or Wi-Max. I was at VON last 
week, and saw at least twenty different Wi-Fi SIP phones from different 
vendors on display.

Now if you're tyring to get the SIP signaling parts of a 3G (aka IMS) 
mobile working with a different transport, the references Nathan 
provided might be useful.

--
Dean

---

From: Nathan Allen Stratton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:54:20 -0400 (EDT)

> week, and saw at least twenty different Wi-Fi SIP phones from different

Yep, I was at the same VON, the problem is that each of the solutions is
proprietary right now. Yes, it is SIP, but you need some standard to say
how you deal with hand offs, security, etc.