Subject: [Sip] draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-04: used alias no longer exists

From: "Brett Tate" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:04:39 -0400

RFC 3261 section 9.1 indicates that the destination address and port of
CANCEL MUST be identical to the INVITE.  I did not notice
draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-04 removing this requirement.  If the used
"alias" TCP connection is dropped between the INVITE and CANCEL, the CANCEL
can only be delivered if the UAS is listening for a new TCP connections on
the original port.

RFC 3261 section 17.1.1.2 indicates the destination address and port of ACK
for a non-2xx response MUST be identical to the INVITE.  This introduces the
same limitation/concern as the CANCEL.

Should draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse discuss these limitations or nullify the
RFC 3261 requirements?

And since I did not receive a reply concerning my September 7 posting...

Section 3 requirement 1 of draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-04 mentions that the
reuse mechanism should allow connections to be reused for responses.  As the
draft mentions, other SIP RFCs allow responses to be sent over the received
connection.  However if the connection is down, a sent-by connection is
created or re-used.

If I understand sip-connect-reuse correctly, the draft currently only allows
an "alias" connection to be found and used when sending requests.

Should the draft be modified (or potentially more clearly documented) to
allow another "alias" connection for the sent-by be used to send responses
when the received connection no longer exists?

Thanks in advance for a response,
Brett Tate

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip