Subject: RE: [Sip] willis-sip-answeralert-00

From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:55:23 -0500

> I started adding this in, and realized I didn't understand 
> the usage in 
> UPDATE (or, probably, re-INVITE). Since there is no new dialog being 
> requested, and consequently no "answering", what good does it do to 
> discuss answering modes?
> 
> So clearly your hinting at a usage that I haven't quite grokked yet. 
> Please elaborate.

For UPDATE, I'm thinking of a caller calling an individual (say a
secretary calling the boss). Phones ring, no answer. Secretary then
presses the "intercom" key to force auto answer. 

So it's pretty much the same scenario as I was talking about before,
but where the caller doesn't make up its mind necessarily before
making a call.

As Paul mentioned, there are many scenarios similar to this in 
Call Center environments.

For re-INVITE however, I am thinking that the scenarios I had in mind
are probably all UPDATE scenarios. I guess one could argue that 
re-INVITE is always "autoanswer". 

That being said, today, handling of re-INVITE is a little fuzzy.
I guess at IETF, it was previously argued that re-INVITE should trigger
user 
interaction (but that UPDATE should not). That indication could be some
window 
popping for example. I don't believe anybody believes that re-INVITE
requires 
another "ringing" phase however, or somebody picking up the phone. I
don't 
even think that many implementations today require any user input for
re-INVITE.
In any case, we never really formalized this anywhere. I am not sure if
we necessarily 
want to tackle re-INVITE treatment right now, but it seems to me to be a
similar 
problem... Not sure what others have to say about re-INVITE. I'd like to
hear other
opinions. 

If it is controversial for re-INVITE, I'd stick with UPDATE for now and
let people think
about re-INVITE.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 12:42:49 -0500

> presses the "intercom" key to force auto answer.

Why is this significantly better than just sending a CANCEL, followed 
by a whole new INVITE that requests auto-answer?

--
Dean