Subject: RE: 3rd party registration (was RE: [Sip] SIP MIB ietf-sip-mib comments)

From: "Michael Procter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 09:57:57 +0100

Cullen Jennings wrote:
> This is way off track of anything to do with the MIB but ...

Indeed.  I'd like to try to bring it back to the topic, by referring
to the original question that was posed.  At least we all have more
background to it now!

> > Cullen Jennings wrote:
> >> sipRegAlloowThirdParty - there are two definitions in common
> >> usage for 3rd party reg. This is one of them.

Looking again at the definition in the MIB draft, I am confused:

       DESCRIPTION
            "This object reflects whether or not the Registrar
            SHOULD allow third party registrations. In third-party
            registration, the entity issuing the request (in the
            From header) is different from the entity being
            registered (in the To header) to whom the provided
            Contact information applies.

I first read this as describing the From != To case, but looking
again, I can see how it might be read as the Contact != source case.
The phrase that I find confusing is 'entity being registered (in
the To header) to whom the provided Contact information applies'.

This phrase always applies, since the main function of a REGISTER
message is to provide a Contact that applies to the AoR in the To
header.

Is this clause supposed to identify the 'Contact does not correspond
to the source of the REGISTER message' case?

> >> However, I don't know of any
> >> deployment situations that allow this type of 3rd party reg.

I know of deployments of 3rd party registrations (of the To != From
type).  I am no longer sure whether this is the same type as 
defined in the MIB draft or not!

Whether either or both approaches need MIB support is for more
MIB-minded people than me to contemplate.  I was just trying to
clarify whether or not certain types of deployment exist.

Regards,

Michael Procter

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip