Subject: [Sip] Outbound Keep Alive and stun retransmission

From: "Samir Srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 00:58:18 -0500

Hi,

 Section 4.4 of outbound-03 states 

   "The time between keep alive requests when using UDP based transports
   SHOULD be a random number between 24 and 29 seconds while for TCP
   based transports it SHOULD be a random number between 95 and 120
   seconds.  These times MAY be configurable."

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-rfc3489bis-03.txt
states in section 7.1

"In other words, requests would be sent at times 0ms,
   100ms, 300ms, 700ms, 1500ms, 3100ms, 4700ms, 6300ms, and 7900ms.  At
   9500ms, the client considers the transaction to have failed if no
   response has been received."

Is the retransmission logic overridden in outbound in case of loss of
responses ? 

Thx
Samiry

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Bob Penfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:18:47 -0400

Section 4.4 is talking about how often to do a STUN keep alive transaction. 
The retransmission timers for an individual STUN transaction over UDP would 
follow the rfc3489bis procedures.

I believe the intention is that the time between initiating the STUN keep 
alive is constant for a UA once it has selected a value. So for example, if 
the selected interval was 28, it would initiate a STUN keep alive 
transaction at t0, t0+28sec, t0+56secs, t0+84secs and so on regardless of 
how long an individual STUN transaction took to get a response.

cheers,
(-:bob

Robert F. Penfield
Chief Software Architect
Acme Packet, Inc.
71 Third Avenue
Burlington, MA 01803
[email-masked]

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Samir Srivastava" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2006 1:58 AM
Subject: [Sip] Outbound Keep Alive and stun retransmission

Hi,

Thx
Samiry