Subject: RE: [Sip] Outbound: Questions on reg-id

From: "Christer Holmberg \(JO/LMF\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 11:45:22 +0200

Hi,

>>Hi Fredrik,
>>
>>If you agree on what I say, I see no harm in documenting it. 
>
>What _are_ you saying? What is it that you want to document?
>
>I must be misunderstanding you somewhere, because it sounds to me like
you want the Outbound specification to say that 
>you must not only do REGISTER processing as per the Outbound
specification, but also according to RFC3261 #10.3. I think 
>that is obvious and I think it makes no sense to litter Outbound with
such references.

That is not what I am saying. I am asking to:

1. Adding a few words saying that checking the Call-Id to detect whether
a REGISTER is a refresh or a new REGISTER after a reboot. The document
currently says that the reg-id alone is used to indicate reboot, but I
think we have agreed that is not the case.

2. Adding a few words saying that the same Call-Id value MAY be used for
all flows (assuming we agree there are no impacts whether the same
values are used or not).

Regards,

Christer

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Hadriel Kaplan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:22:02 -0400

Hi Christer, comments inline...

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF) [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 5:45 AM
> To: Fredrik Thulin
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Sip] Outbound: Questions on reg-id
> 

Why do you need to know if the UA rebooted?  You only need to know if an old
flow/entry is stale.  If the UA detects a flow failure (STUN
XOR-MAPPED-ADDRESS change, socket failure, etc.), then it will send a whole
new register and it will probably be a new call-id.  If it wasn't a new
call-id, and it came in on a new flow to the registrar, the registrar's
supposed to update the flow it received it on anyway.  If it came in on a
new flow to the proxy, then it would create a new flow token anyway.  Am I
missing something?

> all flows (assuming we agree there are no impacts whether the same

I don't agree.  They're unique requests.  

-Hadriel