Subject: [Sip] SIP MIB ietf-sip-mib comments

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:49:14 -0700

Sorry I did not read these until IETF last call but few comments ... take
these very much as questions not requests for change. I would be thrilled if
we could resolve them all with no changes to the draft. I suspect some of
them are issues that have been discussed before and I have just not follwed
the whole discussion.

SipTransportProtocol
It is weird to include TLS given we have TLS for TCP, SCTP, and might have
for UDP too.

sipMaxTransactions - I really don't know how I would decide what to report
in most proxies or what an administrator would do with this information. Max
transaction per second would be a a way that might make more sense to me. At
first I just sort of ignored this but when I saw it was one of the mandatory
to implement ones, well, I'm not sure I know how to implement it or what it
is used for. (The one proxy where I would really know how to implement this,
and the one that I suspect motivated this idea, has been end of lifted which
says something about the length of time we have been working on this MIB :-)

In sipOptionTagTable, I did not see how the HeaderField stuff ended up with
0xA0. I imagine this is all right, it was just not obvious to me how this
all worked. 

It seem that not many people use sipOrganization - do we really want this is
the mandatory group.

Given the many ways that UA determine what the next hop is, the
sipUACfgServerAddr left me feeling pretty uncomfortable.

On the sipProxyAUthMethod, what do you do if using both TLS and Digest. TLS
often uses Digest at the same time.

in sipProxyAuthRealm, the comment about this may need to be stored per user
was concerning. I agree that in some cases it may need to be. However, I
don't see how this MIB could work when it is per user. Do we just say this
item is empty or ignored if it is per user? Does the MIB work if it is per
user and I just don't understand how?

sipRegAlloowThirdParty - there are two definitions in common usage for 3rd
party reg. This is one of them. However, I don't know of any deployment
situations that allow this type of 3rd party reg. It is the other type that
are allowed in practice. Do we need to this at all? Do we need to update?

sipUserAuthenticationFailures - when there is a successful authentication,
does this reset to zero.

s/Jennins/Jennings/ :-)

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Samir Srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 16:03:16 -0500

I was thinking on the SipTransportProtocol too.

SipTransportProtocol is used within SipPortEntry where it has SipPort
(InetPortNumber).

I conclued that on a given port we can have SIP over TLS over TCP, SCTP,
UDP, or (DCCP or whatever in future )  with different bit set in
SipTransportProtocol
 
SIP over TLS over TCP e.g. port 5061 will have SipTransportProtocol bits
10100
While SIP over TLS over SCTP with different port will have
SipTransportProtocol bits 11000

So it is allowed. Am I missing something ? 

Thx
Samir

-----Original Message-----
From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 1:49 PM
To: Jean-Francois Mule; Kevin Lingle (klingle); [email-masked]
Cc: Romascanu, Dan (Dan); Juergen Schoenwaelder
Subject: [Sip] SIP MIB ietf-sip-mib comments

Sorry I did not read these until IETF last call but few comments ...
take these very much as questions not requests for change. I would be
thrilled if we could resolve them all with no changes to the draft. I
suspect some of them are issues that have been discussed before and I
have just not follwed the whole discussion.

SipTransportProtocol
It is weird to include TLS given we have TLS for TCP, SCTP, and might
have for UDP too.

sipMaxTransactions - I really don't know how I would decide what to
report in most proxies or what an administrator would do with this
information. Max transaction per second would be a a way that might make
more sense to me. At first I just sort of ignored this but when I saw it
was one of the mandatory to implement ones, well, I'm not sure I know
how to implement it or what it is used for. (The one proxy where I would
really know how to implement this, and the one that I suspect motivated
this idea, has been end of lifted which says something about the length
of time we have been working on this MIB :-)

In sipOptionTagTable, I did not see how the HeaderField stuff ended up
with 0xA0. I imagine this is all right, it was just not obvious to me
how this all worked. 

It seem that not many people use sipOrganization - do we really want
this is the mandatory group.

On the sipProxyAUthMethod, what do you do if using both TLS and Digest.
TLS often uses Digest at the same time.

in sipProxyAuthRealm, the comment about this may need to be stored per
user was concerning. I agree that in some cases it may need to be.
However, I don't see how this MIB could work when it is per user. Do we
just say this item is empty or ignored if it is per user? Does the MIB
work if it is per user and I just don't understand how?

sipRegAlloowThirdParty - there are two definitions in common usage for
3rd party reg. This is one of them. However, I don't know of any
deployment situations that allow this type of 3rd party reg. It is the
other type that are allowed in practice. Do we need to this at all? Do
we need to update?

sipUserAuthenticationFailures - when there is a successful
authentication, does this reset to zero.

s/Jennins/Jennings/ :-)

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip