Subject: [Sip] A Hitchhikers Guide to SIP

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:39:35 -0500

This is an excellent document, though I wonder why ICE has been omitted in
the list of key documents. ICE is only mentioned in a reference associated
with RFC 2327 for SDP. See:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sip-hitchhikers-guide-00
.txt

TURN is not mentioned at all.

Maybe a section on NAT traversal would be appropriate for the next version
of the I-D.

Thanks, Henry

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 00:59:26 -0400

One of the challenges in this document was figuring out what is covered 
under the umbrella of SIP, and what is used by SIP but not SIP itself. 
This draft, at least, said that things in here had to be extensions to 
be considered part of SIP. ICE isn't actually a SIP extension, its an 
SDP extension.

My recollcetion is that, during the meeting, we did agree that it made 
sense to include things which were directly normatively dependent as 
well, which certainly includes SDP. ICE is questionable based on this 
criteria, but I personally would be happy to include it. Main open issue 
is really what is the criteria for inclusion in this document.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com