Subject: RE: [Sip] WGLC for draft-ietf-sip-fork-loop-fix-01.txt

From: "Christer Holmberg \(JO/LMF\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:43:59 +0200

Hi,

So, all we want to say with this draft is: "You SHOULD implement this
optional RFC3261 feature"?

Regards,

Christer

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 12. huhtikuuta 2006 18:11
To: Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF)
Cc: Robert Sparks; [email-masked]; Robert Sparks; Keith Drage; Dean Willis
Subject: Re: [Sip] WGLC for draft-ietf-sip-fork-loop-fix-01.txt

Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF) wrote:

> So, maybe you could say: "MUST ensure, using a standards lopp 
> detection mechanism, that a request is not looping through this proxy.

> RFC 3261 defines a mechanism in chapter x.x.x.. Other standardized 
> mechansims for loop detecting MAY be used instead, or in addition, to 
> the one defined in RFC 3261.".
> 
> Or something like that...

I don't like that wording. I think its important to give clear guidance
on what an implementor should do. The clear guidance is to implement the
loop detection mechanism in RFC3261.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:56:56 +0900

How do you get that from this conversation?

What we want to say is you MUST perform loop detection if you are  
forking
to locations that might loop. You SHOULD use the 3261 algorithm to do  
this
detection.

That's stronger and more specific than simply saying you SHOULD use  
3261 loop detection in
a vacuum.

RjS