Subject: [Sip] Outbound: Maximum number of flows reached - how to reject?

From: "Christer Holmberg \(JO/LMF\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 17:45:22 +0200

Hi,

Chapter 6.1 of the outbound draft says:

"The registrar MUST be prepared to receive, simultaneously for the same
AOR, some registrations that use instance-id and reg-id and some that do
not."

My question is: what error response code shall the registrar use if it
does not accept a flow for a non-temporary reason, for example due to
the fact that the number of supported flows for a specific instance-id
has reached the maximum value (configured or "hard coded")?

Chapter 4.2 talks about the usage of 503, which is ok for if the reason
for the rejection is "temporary". But, would that be usable also in
non-temporary cases (without a Retry-After header), or should we use a
4/6xx response? I think it would be good to specify which value to use.

The problem with 503 is that it could cause a re-sending of the REGISTER
later, but if the registrar simply doesn't accept more flows for the
instance-id the UA should not re-send (until other flows have been
removed). 

Regards,

Christer

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Samir Srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 01:58:49 -0500

SS>> How do you indicate UA when to register for another flow ? Reg
event on the existing flow for another flow, as rejected registration
flow is not kept alive. Or they are also for this new error code..

Regards,

Christer

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Christer Holmberg \(JO/LMF\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:08:00 +0200

Hi,

I don't know if there is a need to tell the UA to register another flow.
If the error is temporary, you can send a Retry-After header and
indicate when it is POSSIBLE to register another flow. But, the
decission of how many flows to register (or, try to register) is to be
made by the UA, I believe.

Regards,

Christer 

-----Original Message-----
From: Samir Srivastava [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 6. huhtikuuta 2006 9:59
To: Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF); [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sip] Outbound: Maximum number of flows reached - how to
reject?

Regards,

Christer