Subject: [Sip] draft-audet-sip-sips-guidelines: usage of transport=tls

From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:02:52 -0500

Another point made by Jonathan is that transport=tls would mean 
just a particular hop, not end-to-end (like sips).

I have received the same comments from others. Personally, I'm not sure
why this is needed. I think that it could be deprecated entirely (which
was my interpretation of RFC 3261). That role in my mind is already 
fullfilled by the Via header. That would take care of the contact URI.

I'm not opposed to keeping it, but I just can't understand where it
actually 
helps. 

If we DO decide to keep it, then, we also need to add a tls-sctp
(as was done for the Via field already).

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:13:30 +0300

> fullfilled by the Via header. That would take care of the contact

without transport=tls, how can you, for example, tell to your proxy to
use tls to a particular PSTN gw?

-- juha