Subject: AW: [Sip] SIP Call Hold reply

From: "Franz Edler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 11:02:28 +0200

> Actually, I am currently working with a bit old version of eyeBeam
> (version
> 3013), and the latest version of Express Talk. Both answer a hold request
> according to the old RFC.
> Can you recommend of any good free SIP clients out there which comply to
> the latest RFC ?

Actually I wonder that your eyeBeam does not follow RFC3264. I just tried my
eyeBeam (Version 1.5.4) and found hold mechanism correctly implemented (I
can send you the trace-file). Also the hardphones I use (snom and Thomson)
have it correctly implemented.

I don't use free clients since I have eyeBeam.

regards
Franz

BTW: This seems to become more a question for the "sip-implementers"
mailing-list.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Preeti agarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 18:13:31 +0530

Hi All,
Please let me know in whcih case we send answer mode as 
"?Answer-mode=Manual" in INVITE message. Please also send me the format 
for how to send the same .

Thanks,
Priti

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 09:38:52 -0500

On May 8, 2006, at 7:43 AM, Preeti agarwal wrote:

> Hi All,
> Please let me know in whcih case we send answer mode as "?Answer- 
> mode=Manual" in INVITE message. Please also send me the format for  
> how to send the same .
>

According to the current draft:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-answermode-00.txt

We have:

    Req-2: It MUST be possible for UAC to ask that the UAS answer the
       request only after UAS-user has actively directed UAS to answer
       this specific request.  We refer to this as "manual answer mode".
       This mode is useful in "push to talk" applications where the
       sender requires a reassurance that somebody is listening.

And the format is given as:

Answer-Mode=Manual

Although there is a note:

    Note for implementors: SIP Header field names and values are always
    compared in a case-insensitive manner.  The pretty capitalization is
    just for readability.

--
Dean

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 11:46:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Preeti,

For my aplication I used Answer-mode as auto and appropriately handled SIP
signalling (draft should suggest usage). If it was not auto application
defaulted to manual (SIP signalling for manual ie human intervention (pick
up phone) for call setup).

Thanks
-Anurag

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 17:44:40 -0500

> up phone) for call setup).

If you'd like to send some text suggesting usage, it can probably be  
incorporated. Personally I though the draft was already fairly clear  
here, but it must not be (given the questions), so let's fix it.

--
Dean

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 05:47:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Was just pointing out the usages given in the drarf ;-)

-Anurag

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 14:09:15 -0500

Ah! I read "draft should suggest usage" to say that you thought the  
draft should be modified to suggest the usage.

Instead, I now understand you to mean "If your read the draft, it  
will explain the usage well enough that you should get it."

Is that right?

--
Dean

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 21:02:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Dean,

Yes that is what I meant. I apologize for the confusion, will state more
unambiguously in the next posts.

Thanks
-Anurag

---

From: "Yonatan Doron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 11:57:30 +0200

One more thing that isn't quite clear to me:
When my client requests to put a stream on hold, should it stop sending the
media at the time when it sends the request, or should it first wait for a
reply saying the hold-request was accepted, and only then stop sending ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Franz Edler [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 11:02 AM
To: 'Yonatan Doron'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: AW: [Sip] SIP Call Hold reply

> (version 3013), and the latest version of Express Talk. Both answer a 
> hold request according to the old RFC.
> Can you recommend of any good free SIP clients out there which comply 
> to the latest RFC ?

regards
Franz