Subject: [Sip] Update to PING draft

From: "Frank W. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 19:19:45 -0400

I've updated the PING draft:

draft-fwmiller-ping-03

http://www.cornfed.com/ping.txt
http://www.cornfed.com/ping.html

There was one paragraph that I overlooked that still referred to no
retransmissions that has been removed.  The draft definitely calls out a
standard NIT with standard retransmissions.

I'm also uploading the .txt version to the IETF side tonight.

Thanks,
FM

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 07:46:32 +0200

Why is this any better than using OPTIONs?

---

From: Vikram Agarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:36:49 +0530

Hi Cullen,

  The same point i had raised some time back when the PING method was 
being introduced (w.r.t NAT keep alive). The response from Jonathan R. i 
got was that PING would be a modified SIP method, where only some 2 - 3 
headers would be parsed (not like OPTIONS method where all the mandatory 
headers would be parsed) to save the parsing time. But, now when i see the 
PING draft, it is the same like OPTIONS. i.e nothing new w.r.t parsing of 
headers in the PING/OPTIONS method. In this case i am not able to get the 
significance of introducing the PING method over OPTIONS?

Please refer to the response below from Jonathan:

"I will further note that a "modified PING message", or any other kind of 
SIP message processing that does not follow SIP semantics as defined in 
RFC 3261, is effectively identical to the multiple-protocol mechanism of 
running STUN and SIP on the same port. You'll need to figure out which 
protocol it is (SIP or modified SIP), and send the request to the right 
code path appropirately."

Regards,
--Vikram.

Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]> 
05/16/2006 11:16 AM

To
[email-masked]
cc
[email-masked]
Subject
Re: [Sip] Update to PING draft

On May 16, 2006, at 1:19 AM, Frank W. Miller wrote:

>
> I've updated the PING draf
>
> draft-fwmiller-ping-03
>