Subject: [Sip] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-certs-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Certificate Management Service for The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)	: C. Jennings, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sip-certs-00.txt
	Pages		: 29
	Date		: 2006-5-26
	
This draft defines a Credential Service that allows Session
Initiation Protocol (SIP) User Agents (UAs) to use a SIP package to
discover the certificates of other users.  This mechanism allows user
agents that want to contact a given Address-of-Record (AOR) to
retrieve that AOR's certificate by subscribing to the Credential
Service.  The Credential Service also allows users to store and
retrieve their own certificates and private keys.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-certs-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sip-certs-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-certs-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 13:59:24 -0700

Do I undesrstand correctly that you want to store _private_ keys in this 
thing? Oi.

Second, why is this being done in the SIP working group? It sure seems 
like it's
out of the realm of this working group's expertise. See above.

       Mike

[email-masked] wrote:

>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:15:08 -0700

Jon and I talked to the Security ADs and the various SIP and SIPPING  
chairs to try and figure out best place for it. Clearly it needs  
security review. There was no idea location but this seemed as good  
as any.

On May 26, 2006, at 1:59 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:

> Do I undesrstand correctly that you want to store _private_ keys in  
> this thing? Oi.
>
> Second, why is this being done in the SIP working group? It sure  
> seems like it's
>> To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message  
>> to [email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the  
>> body of the message.  You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/ 
>> mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce to change your subscription settings.
>>
>>
>> http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow- 
>> sites.txt
>>
>>

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 10:20:17 -0700

> security review. There was no idea location but this seemed as good  

If this work has utility, I'd think that its utility would extend well 
beyond SIP.
Conversely, if it's only useful for SIP, then there's probably something 
wrong.

I was really serious that SIP really ought to be spawning new working groups
with real charters. This looks like a perfect example of something that 
should
be done on its own merits and with its own community of interested parties
rather than yet another piece of work that has a barely tangential  
relationship
to rendezvous protocols.

       Mike