Subject: [Sip] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-connected-identity-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Connected Identity in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)	: J. Elwell, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sip-connected-identity-02.txt
	Pages		: 25
	Date		: 2006-10-6
	
Because of retargeting of a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) dialog-
   forming request, the User Agent Server (UAS) can have a different
   identity from that in the To header field.  This document provides a
   means for that User Agent (UA) to supply its identity to the peer UA
   by means of a request in the reverse direction and for that identity
   to be signed by an Authentication Service.  The same mechanism can be
   used to indicate a change of identity during a dialog, e.g., because
   of some action in a Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) behind a
   gateway.  This document normatively updates RFC 3261 (SIP) and RFC
   4474 (SIP Identity).

   This work is being discussed on the [email-masked] mailing list.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-connected-identity-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-sip-connected-identity-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-connected-identity-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 16:41:44 +0100

Version 02 reflects comments received during WGLC. I am concerned I have not
received sufficient consensus regarding the first of the changes listed
below, so take a careful look at that. Otherwise I think it is ready to go.

Changes:
- Update of RFC 4474 procedures for a verifier to soften requirements for
rejecting a signature, particularly for mid-dialog requests. See new section
4.6.
- Removal of background material on existing identity and authentication
mechanisms to appendix.
- Change of name of option tag to "from-change".
- Mention the need for a proxy providing an Authentication Service or
Verifier to record route.
- Explanation why the option tag does not need to be used in a Require
header field.
- Explicit indications of what constitutes the change to RFC 3261.
- Added note that sending Supported: from-change does not guarantee that
connected identity will be received in subsequent requests.
- Substructuring of 4.4 into send and receive.
- Added text on receiving 428, 436, 437 and 438 response.
- Insertion of signatures in examples (although these are known to be wrong
because of change to option tag name - will be re-computed during auth48 if
not before).
- Additions to security section concerning missing Identity header field and
use of History-Info as clue to reason for retargeting.

John 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 06 October 2006 20:50
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sip] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-connected-identity-02.txt
> 
> You can also visit 
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
> 	"FILE 
> /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-connected-identity-02.txt".
>