Subject: Re: AW: [Sip] Escaping rules of SIP-URI userpart

From: Fatih Eyüp NAR <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 04:38:00 -0700 (PDT)

you can check-out Q763 for SAM usage with IAM for the last paragraph Dale indicated however this partial dialed user mentality has no equivalency in sip afaik.

----- Original Message ----
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 3:15:38 PM
Subject: Re: AW: [Sip] Escaping rules of SIP-URI userpart

From: "Jesske, R" <[email-masked]>

   I really confused about this discussion regarding'#'.
   The range of a telephone number Digit is 0,1,2...9,A,B,C,D,F as far
   as I know (it's a binary 4 Digit code ).
   You can look in Q.764 which of the digits are used for what and
   also E.164 gives a guideline.

   So for what Telephone application '#' is used?

The real table of DTMF digits, laid out according to the organization
of the *dual tones*, is:

    1 2 3 A

    4 5 6 B

    7 8 9 C

    * 0 # D

but most keypads don't have the right-hand column.

You can also see "*" and "#" in the RTP encoding chart, RFC 2833
section 3.10.

"*" and "#" are used for invoking special features in many phone
systems.  (E.g., in sipX, "*78" is the default call pick-up code, and
"*4" the default call retrieval code.)

Also, when dialing calls for which the central office doesn't have
knowledge of when the dial string has ended (e.g., international
calls), "#" is used as a signal that the dial string is finished.

Dale

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 19:12:21 -0400

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fatih_Ey=FCp_NAR?= <[email-masked]>

   you can check-out Q763 for SAM usage with IAM for the last
   paragraph Dale indicated however this partial dialed user mentality
   has no equivalency in sip afaik.

There is a facility for allowing users to dial numbers partially, with
the UA not knowing when the dial string ends, but it is not commonly
used -- If the phone has collected some digits and sends them in a URI
to the proxy, the proxy can respond "484 Address Incomplete" to
indicate that more digits need to be provided.

Dale