Subject: Re: [Sip] Escaping rules of SIP-URI userpart

From: "Jeroen van Bemmel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 00:46:58 +0200

> My question was whether it would be possible to use "#" unescapted in a 
> SIP-URI, since it would e.g speed up parsing, and mapping from TEL-URI 
> (where # IS allowed unescaped) to SIP-URI without having to first search 
> the the TEL-URI for a # character and escape it.

The most recent relevant standard is RFC3986 which says in section 2.2 "URI 
producing applications should percent-encode data octets that correspond to 
characters in the reserved set unless these characters are specifically 
allowed by the URI scheme to represent data in that component.". And the 
"reserved set" includes "#"

For tel: URIs RFC3966 explicitly allows '#' to represent data. RFC3261 does 
not do this for sip:, so it currently must be %-encoded

Personally, I think the gain in parsing/mapping speed would be very small on 
a typical platform, at least not big enough to justify the effort of 
changing RFC3261. And parsers would end up supporting both for backwards 
compatibility reasons anyway.

Regards,

Jeroen

PS apologies for the previous empty post. Believe it or not, my cat jumped 
on the keyboard 

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip