Subject: Re: [Sip] draft-ietf-sip-gruu-10 comments

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:58:45 -0700

sorry for slow reply --- inline

On Sep 18, 2006, at 6:57 AM, Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> My view on this is that, with GRUU, the home proxy in the  
> terminating domain is going to get visited ANYWAY, even with just a  
> trapezoid. So there is no penalty to record-routing, besides  
> perhaps the overhead in the sip message for the extra bytes. Thus  
> it seems simpler to say that you should always do it.

well the domain that the GRUU points at is going to get visited - the  
issue is that this forces that home domain to also get visited and  
though they are often the same thing I can easily imagine cases where  
they are not - particularly when the GRUU was not generated by the a  
REGISTER message.

>
> It is a fair point that in mixed mode deployments where not all  
> endpoints in a domain support gruu, the record-route would not be  
> needed and would introduce an extra hop. I think it would be OK to  
> say that if the registered contact was assigned a gruu, then the  
> home proxy has to record-route. Would that be OK?

I don't even know what I want here so I suspect I am fine with this  
as long as you have some of these use cases in mind too.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip