Subject: [Sip] Signalling and media path of SIP

From: Raj <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 05:10:51 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
   
                Recently I read from an article that signalling path of SIP is different from the path of media. When two end points want to communicate using SIP, the signalling takes place according to the operation of SIP, but once the signalling is over and when the media channel has to be established, which protocol is used to find the optimal media path?
   
               Moreover, when the session has to be terminated, SIP enabled end point has to send the BYE request, in this case, whether it takes the same path of INVITE request(which initiated the session) or  a different one. I am considering the stateless proxies to be in the network.
   
  with regards
  Raj.

---------------------------------
Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Bala Neelakantan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:54:46 -0600

Questions like this are addressed to SIP-Implementors mailing list.

[email-masked].

You may want to see some IETF example call flows.

In addition to RFC 3261, please refer to RFC 3665 and other BCPs on SIP.

To answer the question, the media could be RTP based.  The media path are
between the two UAs.

The call signaling could be established where multiple SIP servers could be
involved.  If the SIP servers needs to be in the signaling path for the
duration of the call, then the Servers do Record-Route.  So, a BYE or any
other requests will visit the SIP servers.  If the SIP servers do not wish
to be in the path for subsequent requests, it will not record-route.

Thanks,

Neel

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Raj
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 7:11 AM
To: SIP forum
Subject: [Sip] Signalling and media path of SIP

Hello,

              Recently I read from an article that signalling path of SIP is
different from the path of media. When two end points want to communicate
using SIP, the signalling takes place according to the operation of SIP, but
once the signalling is over and when the media channel has to be
established, which protocol is used to find the optimal media path?

             Moreover, when the session has to be terminated, SIP enabled
end point has to send the BYE request, in this case, whether it takes the
same path of INVITE request(which initiated the session) or  a different
one. I am considering the stateless proxies to be in the network.

with regards

Raj.

  _____  

Everyone is raving about the
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=45083/*http:/advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbe
ta>  all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.