Subject: [Sip] Any desire to indicate who inserted location in a message?

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 14:59:51 -0600

SIP

I'm working on the ABNF of the Geolocation header for SIP location 
conveyance, and have discovered a means of indicating which entity 
(currently by type) inserted the location *at*that*URI*, per URI in the 
header  (i.e. this will be a header parameter, not a URI parameter).

For example, if a SIP message includes location-by-value, the Geolocation 
header would have a "cid:" URI that can have a header parameter to indicate 
whether the original phone ( SIP UAC) inserted the by-value location, which 
would be different than if an intermediary server (say a SIP proxy) inserts 
location by-reference.  Here, the Geolocation header would have a reference 
URI, which can indicate that a intermediary (and not the original phone) 
inserted the location.

Here is an example in which there are two locations in a message:

    Geolocation: <cid:[email-masked] ;inserted-by=uac>,
                 <sips:[email-masked] ;inserted-by=proxy>

The above header has 2 locations (one by-value, inserted by the phone) and 
one inserted by a proxy along the signaling path.

An interesting facet of this is the ability to indicate which location the 
message was routed on if a message has multiple locations.  I know this has 
been asked for over the years in both Geopriv and ECRIT. Here is what that 
additional header parameter could look like (notice the "message-routed-on" 
parameter associated with the location-by-reference):

    Geolocation: <cid:[email-masked] ;inserted-by=uac>,
                 <sips:[email-masked] ;inserted-by=proxy
                 ;message-routed-on>

This plays directly to the open issue we have had for some time in the case 
of more than one location within a message, answering "who inserted which 
location?" and "which was used to route the message?".

[ BTW - I'm posting similar messages to this one on the GEOPRIV, ECRIT and 
SIP lists, but not doing one large cross-posting message - as this idea has 
to get multi-list visibility]

Is this a desireable feature/function (indication)?

James

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip