Subject: [Sip] automatically switches to TCP

From: "Xia, Zhi Feng \(Bruce\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 19:16:47 +0800

Hi,
There're many implementations when transportation on UDP fails or transation timeout without response it will automatically try TCP connection. Is this mandated in any RFCs? I think RFC3261 says if transaction timeouts it should go to terminated state.
 
Is this implementation a violation to RFC3261?
 
Thanks,
Bruce
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Manjunath Warad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:37:07 +0530

Hi Bruce,
    I think this is other way round, if sending on TCP fails then it is
recommended to try on UDP to keep the backward compatibility with RFC 2543. 
After timeout transaction MUST enter into terminated state and will not
retry by changing the protocol.
 
Regards,
Manju

****************************************************************************
***********

            This e-mail and attachments contain confidential information
from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address
is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way
(including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction,
or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is
prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
phone or email immediately and delete it!

  _____  

From: Xia, Zhi Feng (Bruce) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, November 24, 2006 4:47 PM
To: IETF SIP List
Subject: [Sip] automatically switches to TCP

Hi,
There're many implementations when transportation on UDP fails or transation
timeout without response it will automatically try TCP connection. Is this
mandated in any RFCs? I think RFC3261 says if transaction timeouts it should
go to terminated state.

Thanks,
Bruce