Subject: Re: [Sip] Updated GRUU spec - big changes

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 17:17:43 -0500

inline.

Rohan Mahy wrote:

> On 10/27/06, Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> >> 2. The client explicitly controls limited-use GRUUs rather than
>> >>    having them issued by the server as an automatic side effect
>> > yes.  if I want a 5 minute validity GRUU or a week long validity GRUU
>> > I can get one and refresh (or not) independently.
>> >
>> > I can also get a GRUU that is limited use but still tied to my AOR.
>> > Possibly useful for allowing that pesky salesperson to bypass my call
>> > screening for a day or two about something important.
>> >
>> > As for load, the UA only generates load on the server when it needs
>> > something new. If the UA doesn't need any private GRUU, the server
>> > doesn't need to generate one.  If the UA wants a unique GRUU per-call,
>> > the registrar does not need to do a full outbound-style registration
>> > (making and saving flow tokens, etc.)
>>
>> I'm not an expert on SIP stacks, so maybe I'm missing something
>> here, but doesn't JDR's new draft have a lightweight way to
>> fetch a new anonymous GRUU?
> 
> 
> Not that I am aware of.  The registrations in GRUU-11 still require a
> write to the location service.

The question was on clients I thought; this is easy for clients to 
obtain since it requires no extra messaging or work for them.

On the server side it requires no more additional write operations than 
is already done for a register refresh.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip