Subject: [Sip] RE: Sip Digest, Vol 31, Issue 20

From: Sriram Parameswar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 01:04:41 -0800

Given the current effort to reduce Presence traffic, this draft is a part of an arsenal of mechanisms. I support it becoming a work-group item.

Thanks,

Sriram Parameswar

>-----Original Message-----
>From: ext Aki Niemi [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 05 November, 2006 19:25
>To: IETF SIP List
>Subject: [Sip] Updated draft-niemi-sip-subnot-etags
>
>Hodwy,
>
>Managed to squeeze in an update to the conditional subscribe draft:
>
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-niemi-sip-subnot-etags-02.txt
>
>Major changes include:
>
>- Bunch of clarifications and fixes contributed by Johnny Vrancken
>
>- Added the concept of "*" entity-tag, as suggested by
>Christian Schmidt
>
>The rationale for the latter change is that it turns out if
>you're suppressing NOTIFYs within the subscription, it doesn't
>matter what the actual value of the entity-tag is; the
>superfluous notifications should simply get suppressed by
>default. It is now possible by including
>
>   Suppress-Notify-If-Match: *
>
>to the SUBSCRIBE in subscription refreshes/unsubscribes. This
>has some other interesting uses as well, like being able to do
>a HEAD like query for the current entity-tag, or a
>heartbeat-type function to check the liveliness of a resource
>(without the extra cost of receiving the notification).
>
>In essence, the client need not bother tracking the etags
>unless it is resuming a subscription, or using polling to
>query the state. To me, this is a simple addition that doesn't
>introduce any complexity, and ought to be the default behavior anyway.
>
>I'm planning to make a fairly extensive rewrite of this draft
>to make it look more like an implementation spec, including
>adding detailed examples and moving some of the requirements
>text to an appendix.
>
>However, before I commit to that, it would be nice to get some
>traction to the draft from the working group.
>
>Is this something the SIP WG is interested in progressing as a
>WG effort?
>
>Cheers,
>Aki
>
>_______________________________________________
>Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
>This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol Use
>[email-masked] for questions on current sip
>Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip
>

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip