Subject: [Sip] Outbound and SigComp

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 16:11:21 -0600

Rohan:

After reading through the new section in outbound relating to SigComp 
(section 8.2), I have two small comments.

The first is that STUN messages don't have any way to convey SigComp 
compartment information. This is almost certainly okay, since the 
document says to carry them using the "well known shim header," which 
doesn't result in any attempt to create state. To avoid confusion, you 
should add a paragraph to the end of the section reading something like:

   Because the bytecodes expressed in the well-known shim header do not
   store any state, correlation of such SigComp requests to a
   compartment is not necessary. To avoid ambiguity, we add the
   following requirement: any SigComp state that may result from a
   message that, once decompressed, turns out to be a STUN message,
   MUST be discarded.

Also, you cite the shim as coming from RFC 3320. In fact, it comes from 
the implementors' guide, which in in WGLC: 
draft-ietf-rohc-sigcomp-impl-guide-08.txt.

/a

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Rohan Mahy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 16:02:51 -0800

>    message that, once decompressed, turns out to be a STUN message,

While I really dislike being so pedantic, I added your proposed text.

> draft-ietf-rohc-sigcomp-impl-guide-08.txt.

actually we were both wrong.  The well-known-shim is defined in:
   draft-ietf-rohc-sigcomp-sip-03.txt.

I hope it is OK that this is an informative reference.

thanks,
-rohan

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 17:45:41 -0800

>   draft-ietf-rohc-sigcomp-sip-03.txt.

Uh, no.

I'm actually somewhat aware of the contents of the drafts I co-author.

The shim is in draft-ietf-rohc-sigcomp-impl-guide-08.txt.

Gonzalo copied it into draft-ietf-rohc-sigcomp-sip-03.txt due to some 
uncertainty on his part about the status of
draft-ietf-rohc-sigcomp-impl-guide-08.txt.

It will be removed in draft-ietf-rohc-sigcomp-sip-04.txt, never to reappear.

You *REALLY* want to cite draft-ietf-rohc-sigcomp-impl-guide-08.txt

I promise.

/a

---

From: "Rohan Mahy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 14:13:02 -0800

Adam,

Fixed.

It would be extraordinarily helpful if section 11 of
draft-ietf-rohc-sigcomp-impl-guide actually included the term
"well-known shim".

thanks,
-rohan