Subject: [Sip] SIP SAML Draft Review by Sebastian Felis

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:02:48 +0200

FYI

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: ext Sebastian Felis [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2007 16:25
An: Tschofenig, Hannes
Cc: Martin Stiemerling; Daniele Abbadessa
Betreff: Re: SIP SAML Draft Review

Hi Hannes,

I have reviewed the SIP SAML draft version 2. Unfortunately I am not
very familiar with SAML but SIP. But anyway, I hope I can give some
input for this draft. Further more, sorry for being late.

First of all: Editorial comments

Page 4: Add the acronym AS to Authentication Server as for UAS and AUC
Pate 11: Remove double space in the headline of 6.1. and 6.1.3.2.

Other two comments:

- In my point of view, the draft focuses only on trait-based
authorization and tries to deploy trait-based authorization using SAML.
It does not try to specify SAML over SIP, which I was expected.
Therefore, it is more on an SAML artifact resolution protocol using SIP.
The term "artifact resolution protocol" is never mentioned in your draft.
And how is the integration of SAML over SIP which carries the assertion
in the SIP message, eg. using MIME multiparts. But I guess, this is now
concerned by the new issue 10 in
http://www.tschofenig.priv.at:8080/saml-sip/issue10.

- Another topic is the usage of the term "Authentication Server" which
has the acronym AS. Since the term is originating from the trait-based
authorization draft, this term should be fine. But from the IMS
perspective, the acronym AS is "Application Server". By today, the SIP
(p)rotocol is more and more associated with IMS and touches the terms of
IMS. Further, the term Authentication Server is not a common term in
SAML. So I propose to use another term, which is more SIP/IMS and/or
SAML conform, e.g. Identity Provider in case of SAML.

BR

Sebastian Felis

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip