Subject: [Sip] UA loose route issue #2: standardized URI params or not

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:05:53 -0400

With the proposed UA loose routing mechanism, a UA can mint new AORs or 
new GRUUs by simply adding URI params to its AOR or gruu, and passing 
them around.

The question is, do we need to standardize the set of URI params that 
the UA can add to its AOR or GRUU?

One argument in favor of such a thing is that it avoids conflicts with 
URI params that might be meaningful to the home proxy, unbeknownst to 
the UA. It also helps guide implementations on what to expect in URIs 
when this capability is used.

On the other hand, by not standardizing a URI param, we can allow UA to 
use any number of params using names of their liking, which is nice and 
flexible.

A middle-ground is to standardize a prefix, kind of like what we did for 
media feature tags in RFC 3840 (though not a shining example of a 
successful RFC).

I've been back and forth on this, but based on the principle of least 
surprise, would propose a specific URI parameter be chosen.

Comments?

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip