Subject: Re: [Sip] Re: Comments on draft-polk-sip-rph-new-namespaces-00

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 16:59:59 -0400

I get the feeling that this issue is a lot simpler than people are
making it out to be.  Starting with some ideas some speaker at IETF 69
expressed:

The basic idea is to reserve all RPH namespaces starting with "dsn-"
to DISA.  Any SIP agent that doesn't support the dsn namespaces
doesn't have to parse the namespace in any interesting way to discover
that it is a namespace that it doesn't support, so implementing this
change within SIP doesn't require any change to any agent that doesn't
need to specifically support it.

Conversely, unless *all* namespaces starting with "dsn-" are reserved
in IANA to DISA, there is nothing to prevent Osama bin Ladin from
registering "dsn-al-qaeda", or worse, "dsn-usnavy-CINCPAC", unless
DISA has happened to enumerate those particular values in a
registration.

As long as we restrict all such "group" registrations to end with the
same separator character, and allow no other use of the separator
character, and the separator character is not yet used in any
registered RPH namespace, there is no compatibility problem with
existing uses.  And conveniently, "-" meets all the criteria.

Dale

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip