Subject: [SIP] Query on draft-rosenberg-sip-app-media-tag-00

From: Mahesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 15:49:24 +0530

Dear Rosenberg,
 - My understanding is that sip.app-subtype indicates  a particular
 application
   media sub-type  used by some Applications.
   This understanding is mainly derived from following excerpt from the
 draft
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 "Its value can be any registered or private MIME application sub-type.
  When included in the Contact  header field of a REGISTER request, an
  agent  SHOULD include all  application subtypes that it can support as
  streaming formats. An application sub-type is supported if the user agent
  would be capable of processing an Session Description Protocol (SDP)
  [4] offer [2] that contained that sub-type as a format in the m-line of
 the SDP."
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------

 - Therefor i would go ahead and state that a value of sip.app-subtype does
   not indicatea particular Application, instead the application media
  sub-type   used by the application.
   For example: application/resource-lists+xml

 - Please acknowledge if my understanding is right.
  If understanding is right then i have following comments
    C1. It would be helpful to explicitly mention somewhere that
           ";+sip.app-subtype="greatgame,wboard"
            implies that 'greatgame' and 'wboard' are two application media
           sub-types used by the APplications rather than an indication or
           identification of    Application itself.

   C2. It would be helpful to provide similar clarification in following
 part of the draft
 --------------------------------------------------------------------
 "A consequence of this is that, as new streaming applications are
   defined (such as multiplayer games, whiteboard sessions, and so on,
   they SHOULD be defined using the SDP application stream, and utilize
   a MIME application sub-type."
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 regards
 Mahesh

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip