Subject: [Sip] Summary of WGLC on connect-reuse-08

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:50:57 -0600

Folks: As a follow up to the 1-slide summary Keith was kind
enough to present at the Vancouver IETF, here are some further
notes from the WGLC review done by Dale and Hadriel (thanks!) on
connect-reuse-08.  These notes also include the post WGLC discussion
we had on the mailing list leading to the Vancouver IETF.

If I am grossly mistaken in summarizing any of the points below,
please let me know.  Otherwise, I will prepare for an update to the
draft based on the summary and consensus reached as detailed below.

1) Assume A opens a TCP connection to B. The -08 version had
  prohibited B from using the same TCP connection to send requests
  to A.  The WG appears to think that this should be relaxed; i.e.,
  A MAY accept requests over the connection from B, however, B MUST
  NOT use this connection to send requests to A unless it has some
  way of verifying the identity of that party to the same level of
  assurance as it would have by doing the DNS lookup and establishing
  its own connection.

  In either case, the "alias" parameter will NOT be added by A for
  a TCP transport when it opens a connection to B.

2) Name-based virtual servers (i.e., multiple servers on same
  IP+port) present a challenge for TCP connection reuse, and in such
  scenarios, reuse over TCP is prohibited.

3) Document terminology to clarify terms such as "TCP Connection
  Reuse" and "TCP Connection Sharing" (this input was provided to
  me through private email.)  I will open up a separate thread on
  this to nail down the exact terms and their definitions.

4) Clarify portions of the draft as suggested by Dale, including
  making sure that the reader is not given an impression that the
  "alias table" is mandatory.

I will be working on -09 over the next few weeks.  If your recollection
of the consensus reached does not match the above summary, please
let me know.

Thank you.

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
2701 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9F-546, Lisle, Illinois 60532 (USA)
Email: vkg@{alcatel-lucent.com,bell-labs.com,acm.org}
WWW:   http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/bell-labs

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip