Subject: [Sip] Protocol Action: 'Framework for Establishing an SRTP Security Context using DTLS' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:47:48 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Framework for Establishing an SRTP Security Context using DTLS '
   <draft-ietf-sip-dtls-srtp-framework-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-dtls-srtp-framework-07.txt

Technical Summary

This document is part of a suite of documents that specify a
mechanism for keying the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP)
using Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS). Together, these
protocols provide for in-band establishment of secure multimedia
sessions without dependencies on external authentication
infrastructures. This document specifies the SIP framework for
DTLS-SRTP. A companion document, draft-ietf-avt-dtls-srtp,
specifies the SRTP portion.

Working Group Summary

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Protocol
(SIP) Working Group. It was developed in response to coordinated
meetings held with several working groups, and in consideration of
several competing specifications.

Document Quality

There are at least two known implementations of earlier versions of
this draft, one Open Source and one commercial. Several
implementors have expressed interest in implementation and
deployment of the final version.

Personnel

The Proto Shepherd for this document is Dean Willis, and the
responsible Area Director is Cullen Jennings.