Subject: [Sipbrandy] Document Action: 'An Opportunistic Approach for Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (OSRTP)' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-sipbrandy-osrtp-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 11:38:59 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'An Opportunistic Approach for Secure Real-time Transport Protocol
   (OSRTP)'
  (draft-ietf-sipbrandy-osrtp-10.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the SIP Best-practice Recommendations Against
Network Dangers to privacY Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipbrandy-osrtp/

Technical Summary:

    Opportunistic Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (OSRTP) is an
    implementation of the Opportunistic Security mechanism, as defined
    in RFC 7435, applied to Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP).  OSRTP
    allows encrypted media to be used in environments where support
    for encryption is not known in advance, and not required.  OSRTP
    does not require SDP extensions or features and is fully backwards
    compatible with existing implementations using encrypted and
    authenticated media and implementations that do not encrypt or
    authenticate media packets.  OSRTP is not specific to any key
    management technique for SRTP.  OSRTP is a transitional approach
    useful for migrating existing deployments of real-time
    communications to a fully encrypted and authenticated state.

Working Group Summary:

    There is consensus in the WG around this document.

Document Quality:

  Section 6 of the document (to be removed before its publication as
  an RFC) discusses the implementation status of the techniques
  described in the document.

Personnel:

    Gonzalo Camarillo is the Document Shepherd.
    Alexey Melnikov Campbell is the responsible AD.