Subject: [Sipping] Generic Name parameters in the IAM message

From: "Frank W. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 12:33:12 -0400

In TR-1188 Calling Name Delivery, it appears there
is a possibility that the a Generic Name Parameter
might be included that provides the originating
party's name.  I was wondering what happens to this
parameter?  There doesnt appear to be any reference
to it in the Section 7.2.1.1 when converting the IAM
to an INVITE.

I guess there are two possibilities.  The parameter
could be passed through in binary format or it 
could be translated to a SIP/SDP form.  I think
the latter is more desirable.  Any thoughts?

FM

--
Frank W. Miller, Ph.D.
Chief Technical Officer
sentitO Networks, Inc.
www.sentito.com 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 19:11:23 +0300

Hello,

Any parameter contained in an IAM will be encoded in binary format,
since the IAM will be encapsulated in the INVITE. Your question is if we
want to place this information in a SIP/SDP header as well.

Since this info seems to be intended for human use (am I right?), you
could add it as the name portion in the from field, for instance.

From: Generic_Name_parameter <tel:1234567>

Best regards,

Gonzalo

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo                    Phone :   +1 212 939 71 71
Columbia University                  Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
472 Computer Science Building        Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
1214 Amsterdam Ave., Mail Code 0401  http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo
New York, NY 10027                   
USA                              [email-masked]

---

From: "Frank W. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:39:54 -0400

I'm not sure I remember the context of this question but you
Are right about the potential to place the name in the From
Field, I think that's the right place too.  I think my question
Was something like that that possibility was not called out
In the draft in the Section I mentioned and wondered if it
Needed to be added there.  One thing I'm trying to avoid if
Possible, at least with my implementation effort, is the 
Need to implement any SS7 on the SIP endpoint.  I want to
Encapsulate it completely at the signaling gateway.  To this
End, I've done a couple of things.  First, I am trying to
Avoid carrying any binary representation of the ISUP or
TCAP (my other area of concern) in the SIP message.  Second,
If some parameter doesn't fit in a place that's already
Defined, I want that parameter translated into some 
Abbreviated textual form.  This latter requirement is for
Not only human-readability but also for just abbreviation.
I've found, especially in the TCAP messages, that they are
Large compared to the amount of really useful information.
The actual important data can be represented much more
Compactly.  Also, I think this was part of a larger question
that I had at the time about how to do Caller ID blocking
I think but as a couple people pointed out, that problem is
Addressed, reasonably satisfactorily, by the privacy draft.

Thanks!
FM

Frank W. Miller, Ph.D.
Chief Technical Officer
sentitO Networks, Inc.
www.sentito.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Gonzalo Camarillo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 12:11 PM
To: Frank W. Miller
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Generic Name parameters in the IAM message

Hello,

Best regards,

Gonzalo