Subject: [Sipping] Loose Routing/ Path Header/ ??? for 3GPP Registration

From: "Rahman, Mohib" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 17:11:06 -0700

There were discussions on additional requirement on SIP to support 3GPP
registration. To recall, discussion initiated with Path header proposal and
later on it diverted to Loose routing. Probably no further discussions
followed up on this topic almost for last three weeks. 

Just wondering is there any drafts being written to support this
requirement? Or current plan is not to enhance/ clarify SIP requirement to
support 3GPP registration? 

Also I see draft-3gpp-sip-registration-00 that mentioned about path header
has already expired back on August. I am wondering is there any plan to
re-submit this draft?

Could anyone who is aware of this decision, please let me know the plan.

Regards,
Mohib Rahman
Trillium Digital Systems, an Intel Company

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:21:39 +0100

In the absence of an alternative that meets the 3GPP requirements better,
3GPP will default to using a Path header (working name only) in the REGISTER
method to bind the various outbound proxies. This documentation for this is
currently in 3GPP TS 24.229 which is the document that is starting to show
how we use SIP in 3GPP. WE are still open to discuss alternatives.

It is not planned to revise the existing 3gpp drafts.

We have a new document that will be submitted very shortly to the SIPPING
group (next couple of days) that identifies the requirements we have on the
use of SIP, with an invitation for those requirements to be discussed and
for the SIPPING group to make its own proposals for solutions. (Name will be
something of the form of draft-garcia-sipping-3gpp-reqs.) 

There is also a draft that handles the interaction with aaa that has also
recently been resubmitted to the SIPPING group - this contains 3GPP
requirements in this area and is complementary to the 3GPP requirements
draft just identified. See draft-calhoun-sip-aaa-reqs

Keith Drage

Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 776249
Email: [email-masked]

> ----------
> From: 	Rahman, Mohib[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	09 October 2001 1:11
> To: 	[email-masked]
> Cc: 	'Drage, Keith (Keith)'
> Subject: 	Loose Routing/ Path Header/ ??? for 3GPP Registration
>

---

From: Michael Hammer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 11:54:30 -0400

Kieth,

If your proposal is not accepted by the group, does that mean that it
would be carried in a MIME attachment with application/3GPP or something
like that?

Obviously, the preferred approach is to resolve the issue in the main
headers of the SIP message.

Mike

At 11:21 AM 10/9/2001 +0100, Drage, Keith (Keith) wrote:

In the absence of an alternative that meets
the 3GPP requirements better,

3GPP will default to using a Path header (working name only) in the
REGISTER

method to bind the various outbound proxies. This documentation for this
is

currently in 3GPP TS 24.229 which is the document that is starting to
show

We have a new document that will be submitted very shortly to the
SIPPING

group (next couple of days) that identifies the requirements we have on
the

use of SIP, with an invitation for those requirements to be discussed
and

for the SIPPING group to make its own proposals for solutions. (Name will
be

There is also a draft that handles the interaction with aaa that has
also

requirements in this area and is complementary to the 3GPP
requirements

Keith Drage

Keith Drage

Lucent Technologies

Tel: +44 1793 776249

Email: [email-masked]

> From:
Rahman,
Mohib[SMTP:[email-masked]]

> Sent:
09 October
2001 1:11

> registration. To recall, discussion initiated with Path header
proposal

> and

Sipping mailing list
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping