Subject: RE: [Sipping] draft-petrie-sipping-ua-prof-framewk-reqs-00.txt

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:03:15 -0500

This is a very helpful document for key decisions regarding the
configuration of SIP devices:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-petrie-sipping-ua-prof-framewk
-reqs-00.txt

A few nits and comments:

Section 3.1 Background

Limiting to VoIP is not doing justice to other SIP based services,
beyond SIP phones only. I suggest some other terminology, such as SIP
based IP communications...

Section 3.3 Terminology

Profile Server. It appears we need to make a distinction between two
different servers:

1. Image server for software upgrades - MAY belong to and be controlled
by the device manufacturer,

2. Customer profile server - MAY be operated by the service provider or
network manager.

For competitive and privacy reasons, the customer profile data and the
server MUST be unbundled from the image server.

Section 5 Protocol Evaluation

Though UPnP is not a protocol but a framework and may or may not apply,
some insight on its applicability or otherwise is of general interest.
Please see
http://www.upnp.org/download/UPnPDA10_20000613.htm

Guidance here for the readers of the draft will be appreciated.

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich
WorldCom
400 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
USA

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP