Subject: RE: [Sipping] Associating SIP sessions with PSTN calls

From: "Michael O'Doherty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:29:06 +0100

Tom,

Again, I think the CPL application server would have to obey the same rule
as the proxy and not look at the body of the message (or is this not a rule
- still can't find it in the spec??).

This is the part which was highlighted as maybe a more general (i.e. non
application specific) issue - should a SIP server be able to make routing
decisions based on the media service requested in the body ?

Also, for this particular application, if the callee wants the SIP to PSTN
breakout to be at the caller's end of the call it seems cleaner to use an
ENUM or CLI lookup domain type solution (the latter being the one we went
for as ENUM as it stands did not seem to handle this).

Cheers,

Mick.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 19 September 2002 13:48
To: O'Doherty, Michael [MDN05:MD01:EXCH]
Cc: 'David R. Oran'; [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Associating SIP sessions with PSTN calls

Hi

SIP solves this sort of problem with the CPL application server attached to
the proxy. I still think that you are describing an application
architecture that is distinct from the standard SIP architecture. There is
of course nothing wrong with that but the solutions that you are looking
for will not be part of standard SIP. To repeat, you will have to examine
how CPL accomplishes something similar to what you are trying to do and
then modify the basic SIP architecture to accomplish it.

Thanks

Tom Gray

"Michael O'Doherty" <[email-masked]>@ietf.org on 09/19/2002
06:16:05 AM

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   "'David R. Oran'" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'"
      <[email-masked]>
cc:   "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  RE: [Sipping] Associating SIP sessions with PSTN calls

David,

I can see how we could use caller prefs to ensure that a call to a SIP
device associated with a PSTN call arrived at the right place (although in
this case we don't really need to do this) but I am not sure we can use the
approach to stop a SIP voice session call from some other user (who won't
have set any caller prefs and who will have used the same e.164 number to
address the SIP invite) reaching that same SIP device.

It is the same sort of concept but we want the callee to call the shots in
this scenario.

>> How do we indicate with an ENUM response that voice calls should go to
>> the PSTN number and other media/mixed media calls to a SIP device (one
>> .suggestion here was that if ENUM returns a tel URL as one of the
options
>> for routing then that option MUST be used if the call is a voice call) ?
>>
>You don't. This is what caller prefs is for, right?

---

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:45:17 -0400

--On Thursday, September 19, 2002 4:29 PM +0100 Michael O'Doherty 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Tom,
>
> Again, I think the CPL application server would have to obey the same
> rule as the proxy and not look at the body of the message (or is this not
> a rule - still can't find it in the spec??).
>
Read the caller prefs draft. Media types are expressable in callerprefs. 
You don't need to look at the body.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP