Subject: [Sipping] BCP 63, RFC 3372 on Session Initiation Protocol for Telephones (SIP-T): Context and Architectures

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:55:00 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 63
        RFC 3372

        Title:	    Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) for Telephones
                    (SIP-T): Context and Architectures
        Author(s):  A. Vemuri, J. Peterson
        Status:	    Best Current Practice
	Date:       September 2002
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 49893
        SeeAlso:    BCP 63

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipping-sipt-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3372.txt

The popularity of gateways that interwork between the PSTN (Public
Switched Telephone Network) and SIP networks has motivated the
publication of a set of common practices that can assure consistent
behavior across implementations.  This document taxonomizes the uses
of PSTN-SIP gateways, provides uses cases, and identifies mechanisms
necessary for interworking.  The mechanisms detail how SIP provides
for both 'encapsulation' (bridging the PSTN signaling across a SIP
network) and 'translation' (gatewaying).

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Proposal
Investigation Working Group of the IETF.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.