Subject: [Sipping] Conference Package and Conferencing Framework

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:48:57 +0200

Firstly let me say something about Basic and complex participants.

There might be participants that are not allowed to subscribe to conference policy info nor are they allowed to subscribe to media policy info. Similarly, some participants don't want to know either. Others are allowed to see one and not the other. Yet all want and must be able to subscribe to the participant list for that conference (some participants might just want to know who else is in this conference, nothing else).

So, we need 2 things:

1. a participant that is between a basic and a complex one.

2. break conference package into 4: conference (the same as before), conference.participant, conference.confpolicy, and conference.mediapolicy.

Participants can subscribe to any combination.

This give much more flexibility for participants to choose to see that info. It also gives flexibility on who can or cannot see certain info about a conference. The question is:  Where is such policy stored? Is it part of the conference policy include who can see its instance?

Secondly, Moderator needs to be defined. Is a moderator always a complex participant? is the converse true? are they the same thing? 
How can one become a moderator? Is moderator info (who is moderator and what can they do) part of the conference policy? If so, does that mean all complex participants know who the moderators are?

Regards,
Hisham
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Arjun Roychowdhury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 13:55:49 -0500

Hisham,
my perspectives  inline, prefixed <ARC>

Firstly let me say something about Basic and complex participants.
There might be participants that are not allowed to subscribe to 
conference policy info nor are they allowed to subscribe to media policy 
info. Similarly, some participants don't want to know either. Others are 
allowed to see one and not the other. Yet all want and must be able to 
subscribe to the participant list for that conference (some participants 
might just want to know who else is in this conference, nothing else).

So, we need 2 things:

<ARC>

My reading of the framework doc. was a 'basic' participant was one whose 
UA does not need
any special features to be in the conference and is technically unaware he 
is in a conference. A complex one would be 'conference aware' and would 
therefore support the required extensions to avail of more features. To 
me, this is a clean differentiation.
Now, within a complex participant, whether you can/not access various 
policies is well, a policy matter.
I dont know whether it makes sense to try and define each such set 
explicitly. 
</ARC>

2. break conference package into 4: conference (the same as before), 
conference.participant, conference.confpolicy, and conference.mediapolicy.

<ARC> 
I don't think the drafts published have reached this level of detail yet, 
but nothing
that I read did not indicate that these look like elements that are not 
allowed. I would expect
future drafts would address these in more detail.
</ARC>

This give much more flexibility for participants to choose to see that 
info. It also gives flexibility on who can or cannot see certain info 
about a conference. The question is:  Where is such policy stored? Is it 
part of the conference policy include who can see its instance?
Secondly, Moderator needs to be defined. Is a moderator always a complex 
participant? is the converse true? are they the same thing? 
How can one become a moderator? Is moderator info (who is moderator and 
what can they do) part of the conference policy? If so, does that mean all 
complex participants know who the moderators are?

<ARC> 
Surely, a moderator MUST be a complex participant but not vice versa. What 
makes a complex participant
a moderator is policy and I would guess the 'Conference Policy Protocol' 
would dictate that.

Again, looking at the previous discussions since the drafts have been 
released, there seems 
to be more participation from the readers than the authors themselves ;-) 
which makes me believe
that (hopefully) other drafts are soon to be release that will expand on 
the ambiguities more concretely.

regds
arjun
</ARC>