Subject: [Sipping] Application Interaction Reqs I-D

From: Bert Culpepper <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 12:08:32 -0500

Hi all,

The above I-D has been re-submitted to the archives.  A summary of the
changes are:

- Modified some terminology based on Interim Meeting feedback.
- Edited some requirements based on Interim Meeting feedback.
- Modified some requirements as discussed on the mail list.

There are two sets of requirements that have been discussed on the list 
recently that due to the current Framework work were not added in this 
revision of the Requirements I-D.  The first is:

    For user activity indications, the framework must provide some
    form of indication of occurrence in time relative to one or
    more media streams.

Consensus to include or not include this was not clear.  The following 
focus related requirements were also not included.

    F1:  The framework must specify a way to determine application focus
         in a client when the client cannot explicitly determine
         application focus.

    F2:  The application focus determination algorithm should attempt to
         minimize the delay in providing stimulus to applications.

    F3:  The application focus determination algorithm must not produce
         false positives, that is, it must provide a stimulus only to
         the single application that is in focus at the time.  This may
         involve suppressing DTMF tones from the audio stream when the
         media endpoint is not in focus.

Please post your comments if you feel the Requirements I-D should 
include requirements in the above areas.  I believe there will also be 
an opportunity to discuss the issues during the upcoming meeting in Atlanta.

Of course, all comments on the complete text are welcome.  Until it 
appears in the archives it can be fetched from 
http://home.cfl.rr.com/bculpepper/draft-culpepper-sipping-app-interact-reqs-02.txt

Best regards,
Bert

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Bert Culpepper <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 15:45:14 -0500

Hello Steve,

I decided to leave these out of this revision because of some recent 
private comments from members of the design team.  I have posted them 
here so that the discussion can continue.  Previous list discussion (and 
I agreed) indicate they belong, but based on recent comments this issue 
is still open.  Rest assured, that as a current editor of the I-D I'll 
put these in based on work group consensus :)

I believe the concern is based on any solution will be required to 
support focus determination equally on all user devices.  I myself feel 
the degree to which focus determination be supported is bound to the 
practical capabilities of the specific user device.  And that there are 
some scenarios that focus determination won't be possible, some 
scenarios where it's limited, and some scenarios where it does exist 
today.  Recommending/specifying focus determination algorithms in the 
solution(s) I-D was what I thought would result from these requirements. 
  Now I myself haven't yet fully read the Framework I-D.  But it could 
be that the solution make these requirements un-needed, as the issues 
don't exist in the Framework.

Anyway, I'm sure the folks who don't think these requirements should be 
imposed will speak up.

Best regards,
Bert

Steve Fisher wrote:

> Bert,
> 
> I'm disappointed that F1, F2, and F3 that you cite did not make the
> draft, especially considering that on 10/10 you wrote:
> 
> "I didn't say it directly, but my point is that I feel the requirements
> that Jonathan and Eric seem to have settled on are fine and appropriate
> IMHO."
> 
> Could you perhaps elaborate on the reasons behind the decision to
> exclude these requirements?
> 
> Thanks!
> Steve
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> Of Bert Culpepper
> Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 12:09 PM
> To: SIPPING
> Subject: [Sipping] Application Interaction Reqs I-D
> 
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
> [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP
> 
> 
>

---

From: "Steve Fisher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 13:51:19 -0500

Bert,

Thanks!
Steve

-----Original Message-----

Hi all,

Please post your comments if you feel the Requirements I-D should 
include requirements in the above areas.  I believe there will also be 
an opportunity to discuss the issues during the upcoming meeting in
Atlanta.

Of course, all comments on the complete text are welcome.  Until it 
appears in the archives it can be fetched from 
http://home.cfl.rr.com/bculpepper/draft-culpepper-sipping-app-interact-r
eqs-02.txt

Best regards,
Bert