Subject: Re: [SIPPING] question on draft-johnston-sipping-cc-conferencing-00.txt

From: "Arjun Roychowdhury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 12:40:11 -0500

<pk>
If you have a Conference URI, you can give it to all of your friends. Then 
when they call they will all be in the same conference together. But if 
you made a mistake and actually had a Conference Factory URI instead, you 
could still give it to all of your friends, and they could all call it, 
and each would end up in a conference. But they would each end up in a 
distinct conference by themself. So it is important to know which kind of 
URI you have.
</pk>

I would disagree with the outcome you state of connecting to a Factory vs. 
the conference itself.
Practically, as discussed, it is most likely that any conferencing server 
would host a 'FactoryURI'
possibly of the form sip:[email-masked] and each individual 
conference would be something like
sip:[email-masked].

That does not however mean that if you happen to distribute the factory 
URI, your friends would land 
up each in individual conferences. Most likely, they would land up in a 
prompt request/response
that would provide options of joining a particular conference based on 
some ID or maybe even creating
new conferences -> but all of this is policy. 

If we were to theoretically address this situation, then a job of a 
Factory is to produce new conferences
and therefore, theoretically, an INVITE sent to a factory either creates 
or rejects.
In practical scenarios, the 'FactoryURI' will actually be an 'entry point 
to a conferencing system'
and therefore, what action is taken would be based on a multitude of 
policies, of which creating a new
conference is one.

It may then be useful to properly define what we mean as a 'FactoryURI' -> 
assuming the fact 
that in a conferencing system, there is one 'general conference uri' and 
many 'specific conferenece uris'
-> then from the point of implementation, is FocusFactoryURI really what 
is exposed to users ?

regds
arjun

--
Arjun Roychowdhury @ Hughes Software Systems
11717 Exploration Lane, Germantown MD 20876
(O): 301-212-7860        (M): 240-997-0066

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:07:08 -0500

Arjun - comments below.

	Paul

> new conferences -> but all of this is policy.

My concept of Conference Factory URI is equivalent to what is called Focus URI in draft-johnston-sipping-cc-conferencing-00. Sending an invitation to this kind of URI is described in section 6.2 of that document. It would result in the situation I describe.

To get the kind of behavior you are suggesting would require what that document calls a General URI.

> -> then from the point of implementation, is FocusFactoryURI really what

I believe the purpose in these drafts is to provide a taxonomy and definition of all the pieces potentially involved in conferencing solutions. In real situations not all of the pieces need be available or exposed.

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:07:08 -0500

Arjun - comments below.

	Paul

I believe the purpose in these drafts is to provide a taxonomy and definition of all the pieces potentially involved in conferencing solutions. In real situations not all of the pieces need be available or exposed.
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP