Subject: [Sipping] Using SIPs challenge-response mechanism for spam control

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:20:52 +0530

In the context of Voip spam control, would it be possible to use SIPs
digest authentication mechanism to provide information other than the
calling party credentials. For e.g. maybe the reachability code of the
called party that can be used to validate the calling party.

Vijay

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Arjun Roychowdhury <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:07:56 -0500

Yes, it helps to a degree, but no one solution is complete. SPAM
control is a good example of when one needs to deploy various types of
"incomplete" solutions to achieve better protection. Jonathan et. al.
's draft on spam control in SIP discusses some of these mechanisms at
a high level and inherent challenges.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-spam-00.txt

regds
arjun

-- 
Arjun Roychowdhury
Flextronics Software Systems

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:31:34 +0200

Arjun Roychowdhury writes:

 > "incomplete" solutions to achieve better protection. 

i agree and proposed some time ago a simple check to find out if caller
has been faked, but it was rejected by purists who insisted that one
needs to buy a certificate for each proxy.

-- juha