Subject: RE: [Sipping] SBC and Identity Mechanisms

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 14:53:18 -0000

3GPP does not currently use the AIB, and has not worked out how to use it.
 
As regards the network intitiated BYE, this is a 3GPP invention and is not documented in any RFC. It is officially frowned upon by IETF, because it is something that ought to be proxy trying to exhibit something that is definitely not proxy behaviour, but at the time it was documented, IETF could not think of anything in it that broke SIP more than it is broken at the point where it is needed to send this.
 
Basically the function of the network-initiated BYE is to clean up dialogs either because the radio connection with one user has been lost, or because the user has just lost the right to use the transport network full stop (e.g. for charging reasons). At this point, all things associated with SIP are going to stop working anyway, and if the network-initiated BYE does not work for AIB reasons, some other clean up mechanism will eventually have to come into play, in the network with things like session-timer, and at the UE based on session-timer or absence of response. All the network initiated BYE does is get rid of the mess sooner, thus freeing up other resources sooner.
 
regards
 
Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Medhavi Bhatia
Sent: 10 February 2005 17:17
To: 'sipping'
Subject: [Sipping] SBC and Identity Mechanisms

The currently proposed Identity mechanisms in RFC 3893 seem to include the CSeq# inside the AIB. I wanted to find out how this works with a network initiated release (BYE) and if any alternate mechanisms to do the latter today. The requirement comes from 3GPP and those guys don't seem to use RFC 3893 based mechanisms at all.

We noted this problem in the SBC requirements draft ( ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/internet-drafts/draft-bhatia-sipping-sbc-00.txt <ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/internet-drafts/draft-bhatia-sipping-sbc-00.txt> ). 

Thanks,

Medhavi.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Medhavi Bhatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:44:02 -0500

The AIB RFC does not provide anything to handle third party identity.

-Medhavi.

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Drage, Keith (Keith)
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 9:53 AM
To: 'Medhavi Bhatia'; 'sipping'
Subject: RE: [Sipping] SBC and Identity Mechanisms

As regards the network intitiated BYE, this is a 3GPP invention and is not
documented in any RFC. It is officially frowned upon by IETF, because it is
something that ought to be proxy trying to exhibit something that is
definitely not proxy behaviour, but at the time it was documented, IETF
could not think of anything in it that broke SIP more than it is broken at
the point where it is needed to send this.

Basically the function of the network-initiated BYE is to clean up dialogs
either because the radio connection with one user has been lost, or because
the user has just lost the right to use the transport network full stop
(e.g. for charging reasons). At this point, all things associated with SIP
are going to stop working anyway, and if the network-initiated BYE does not
work for AIB reasons, some other clean up mechanism will eventually have to
come into play, in the network with things like session-timer, and at the UE
based on session-timer or absence of response. All the network initiated BYE
does is get rid of the mess sooner, thus freeing up other resources sooner.

regards

Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Medhavi Bhatia
Sent: 10 February 2005 17:17
To: 'sipping'
Subject: [Sipping] SBC and Identity Mechanisms

The currently proposed Identity mechanisms in RFC 3893 seem to include the
CSeq# inside the AIB. I wanted to find out how this works with a network
initiated release (BYE) and if any alternate mechanisms to do the latter
today. The requirement comes from 3GPP and those guys don't seem to use RFC
3893 based mechanisms at all.

We noted this problem in the SBC requirements draft
(ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/internet-drafts/draft-bhatia-sipping-sbc-
00.txt). 

Thanks,

Medhavi.