Subject: Re: [Sipping] policy channel protocol

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:05:27 +0200

Paul,

> I'm just not very thrilled by the idea of establishing an https 
> connection for session specific policy management each time a call is 
> made - which seems like a plausble scenario. Would be much better if 
> some more-or-less permanent path could be used for this. UAs operating 
> in an environment where policy is being enforced this way are likely to 
> have a permanent secure connection to a proxy in the domain of the 
> policy server. It would be nice to be able to reuse that.

yes, that is a good point. I guess that this could be achieved using , 
for instance, XCAP over a long-lived http connection between the client 
and the policy server.

Gonzalo

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:06:56 -0500

Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
>> in an environment where policy is being enforced this way are likely 
>> to have a permanent secure connection to a proxy in the domain of the 

A long lived https connection would be better than one per call *if* it 
can be kept up long enough to be there for multiple calls. AFAIK normal 
https servers time out connections after a few minutes.

Conveying all the policy stuff via SIP would permit using a single long 
lived TLS SIP connection to a proxy in the domain for both regular call 
handling and the associated policy management. In a lot of environments 
there will be need to keep up a connection all the time for NAT/FW 
penetration reasons anyway, so there is good motivation to exploit it.

	Paul