Subject: [Sipping] sipping-config-framework-06 general

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 08:43:22 -0800

This looks really good and getting very close to done. I hope folks read it
I think it is one of the most important drafts happening in sipping right
now. 

I have one small to medium issues in the security section which I will put
in another email and then a bunch of very small stuff.

Section 3.13.3 Do you want the user portion to be the device id or
anonymous? Right now it says anonymous but this gives the local network no
way to distinguish between devices and correlate with other things -
including telling that a new subscriptions was form device as old
subscription. 

The term cache is used in the document but may have slightly the wrong
connotation. This is not cache information where if you loose it no big deal
you just get it again. This is enrolment data that needs be stored in
persistent storage. I think many of places cache is used, describing that it
needs to go in persistent storage and that if it is lost, the device may
reenroll in a different network. All should mandate way to reset the device
so that this data is lost and the device does re-enroll.

Last para of 2.4 really cleared things up for me. thanks.

section 3 - first para - suggesting content indirection should be used if
it would cause packet fragmentation should probably only be for UDP - if I
was using TCP sending a 3 k  body seems ok.

Section 3.1. I find including the word "sip" in the event name pretty weird.
Not as weird as a messages called message but weird. How about
"config-profile" as the event name.

Section 3.2. I think "local-network" would be better than "local"

I think the Vendor, Model, Version should only be allowed to  quoted-strings
not tokens. We are not defining any tokens, they will just be harder to work
with. 

The doc needs to say where the things in the ABNF like name-addr, token etc
come from.

In sentence "The 'effective-by' parameters in the Event header of the NOTITY
must specify"  change must to MUST

section 3.10 - I would set max rate at 1 minute

3.13.1 - MAC BNF has "-" instead of ":" as separator

4.1.1 - What about if the local network provided a SIP DHCP option - seem
like we would want to use that then fallback to scheme here .

Section 6.3 - first sentence. in the clause with "the subscriber MUST verify
the authenticity of the ... server" I would change MUST to MAY. In the last
sentence of first para, I would add "if TLS is not used"

Authors Address: Congratulations on having a SIP URI for your phone. I wish
I did. 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Daniel G. Petrie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:34:32 -0800 (PST)

Cullen:
Thanks for the detailed review and great comments. 
Responses inline below:

Cheers,
Dan

> including telling that a new subscriptions was form
That is a very good point.  I think that it probably
does make sense to use the device-id.  This does
have the implication that the local network needs
to accept subscriptions to previously unknown
resource AORs.

> so that this data is lost and the device does
Yes I see this abiguity.  I will make this more
clear.

> was using TCP sending a 3 k  body seems ok.

Yes, but the notifier cannot really know
for sure what the tranport protocol will be
for the entire path.

> "config-profile" as the event name.

How about ua-profile or profile-dataset?  
config-profile seems a little redundant.

> Section 3.2. I think "local-network" would be better

That is fine with me.

> will just be harder to work

Sure.  It simplifies the parsing a bit.

> like name-addr, token etc

I will add the references.

> must specify"  change must to MUST

yes

> section 3.10 - I would set max rate at 1 minute
So a consequence of this is: someone plugs in a 
new phone, trips over the cord, plugs it in again
and now has to wait for a minute before the server
to provide a profile so the phone will be functional.
Is that acceptable?

> 3.13.1 - MAC BNF has "-" instead of ":" as separator

Thanks.  I will change that.

> like we would want to use that then fallback to
yes.  I will add SIP DHCP for the local network
discovery.

> the authenticity of the ... server" I would change

ok.  I will make this edit.

> sentence of first para, I would add "if TLS is not

Makes sense.

> Sipping mailing list 
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping

---

From: Dan Petrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:14:55 -0800 (PST)

Cullen:

Cheers,
Dan

That is fine with me.

yes

Makes sense.