Subject: [Sipping] NATs and SBCs

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 18:11:09 -0500

Has anyone done any market research on why people buy NATs?  The reason I
ask is one of the major pitches for SBC is that they are SIP-aware NATs for
ITSPs.

I would offer that most people that buy NATs buy them because renting a
single, DHCP IP address is considerably cheaper than renting a bunch of IP
addresses for all of their devices on their home / office LAN.

I seriously doubt that most people that buy NATs buy them because they want
to "hide" their topology.  Most people don't have a clue.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:57:07 -0500

Eric,

I'm pretty sure most home users don't knowingly buy NATs at all. They 
buy a home router so they can plug in (or wirelessly use) multiple 
devices. It just happens that the device includes NAT and DHCP 
functionality. And they *use* the NAT features because they are enabled 
by default.

If the NAT feature was turned off by default their devices would try to 
get addresses from the ISP. That might be the time they would discover 
those extra addresses cost something, and would be pissed. Hence its 
obvious why the NAT feature is on by default.

	Paul

---

From: "Medhavi Bhatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:24:50 -0500

Most IDSs today have extracted all the complex firewall functions and I see
articles, advertisements about IDSs popping up every month now. So maybe
someone has done market research after all... :)

The protocol correlation functions (SIP/SDP/RTP for a call) described in
these IDSs closely maps to what is being marketed today by SBCs.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Eric
> Burger
> Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 6:11 PM
> To: Sipping (E-mail)
> Subject: [Sipping] NATs and SBCs
>