Subject: [Sipping] updated conferencing framework

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 03:14:52 -0500

Folks,

You may have noticed that I posted an update to the conferencing 
framework spec:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-conferencing-framework-04.txt

The edits to this document were a result of much discussion amongst the 
sipping and xcon chairs, in an attempt to come up with a delineation of 
roles between the sipping and xcon conferencing frameworks. The essence 
of the delineation reflected in the edits are:

1. the conferencing framework doesnt mention CPCP or any particular 
protocol for conference control; it does mention a logical role of a 
conference policy server and general conference policy, and says that 
non-SIP specific means are used to interface with the conference policy 
through the conference policy server

2. the draft used to go into detail about the component parts of 
conference policy. It no longer does that.

3. The draft removes any references to the xcon framework, and stands 
alone with a focus on the SIP aspects of conferencing.

4. sidebars and floor control were touched in in the draft, but so 
briefly that it was meaningless. As those are out of scope for the SIP 
aspects of conferencing, all text around these two concepts were removed.

5. the draft focuses on the SIP aspects of conferencing

I think this represents a reasonable delineatoin of function. At this 
point, there is nothing in the document left that requires us to wait 
for xcon to conclude on anything, which was one of the objectives of the 
round of edits.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP