Subject: RE: [Sipping] Draft Notes from Ad-hoc on SIP peer-to-peer

From: "Samir Chatterjee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:47:29 -0700

The success of P2P voip technologies (such as skype) has been due to its
simplicity and the fact that is works. Looking at this potential long
laundry list of requirements makes me wonder if the simplicity is
already lost? Don't we have SIP (RFC 3261) for that?
P2P SIP should be geared towards ad hoc infrastructureless collaboration
environments. Starting with a minimal set of requirements (some basic
and some advanced) should be the goal.
Samir

Dr. Samir Chatterjee
Associate Professor
School of Information Systems & Technology
Founding Director, Network Convergence Lab (http://ncl.cgu.edu)
Claremont Graduate University

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Juha Heinanen
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 12:26 PM
To: Philip Patrick
Cc: Cullen Jennings; Richard Shockey; sipping; Brijesh Kumar; Dean
Willis
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Draft Notes from Ad-hoc on SIP peer-to-peer

Philip Patrick writes:

 > I believe emergency services should be within the scope of P2P SIP.
 > As a network operator enabling VoIP SPs to become custom telephone
 > companies, we at Pac West Telecom endorse the FCC Order requiring
 > VoIP SPs to support Enhanced 911 service for nomadic VoIP users.
 > And, in order for P2P VoIP to become a ubiquitous means of
 > communication, the routing of calls to the correct PSAP and rendering
 > of location information for use by a 911 dispatcher is essential.

p2p sip has nothing to do with service providers and thus nothing to do
with fcc.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Michael Slavitch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:40:22 -0400

Bzzt. 

Of course you can, since the traffic patterns give away the SIP protocol
and the existance and initiation of streaming media. You could easily
figure out the codecs being used too. Traffic/noise generators are also
a giveaway by being far too random, while human conversation or activity
is fractal. 

It's been done for over a decade, I filed patents on such in 1995.

Michael

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the
credit. 
 
- Harry S Truman

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Juha Heinanen
Sent: August 19, 2005 1:28 PM
To: Dale Worley
Cc: 'sipping'
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Draft Notes from Ad-hoc on SIP peer-to-peer

Dale Worley writes:

 > In the strictest sense, that is impossible, because the network (in
theory)  > can examine all packets, and there's no way to notify the
other end to start  > a session without sending some packet that tells
the other end to start a  > session.

yes, it is possible to detect that SOME session is in progress between
the parties, but not that that is a sip session.

 > Barring absolute secrecy, though, what achievable reqirements would
you  > favor?

see above.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

--
BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
------------------------------------------------------
Teach CanIt if this mail (ID 426167) is spam:
Spam:
http://asteroid.objectworld.com/canit/b.php?c=s&i=426167&m=70e4012949f3
Not spam:
http://asteroid.objectworld.com/canit/b.php?c=n&i=426167&m=70e4012949f3
Forget vote:
http://asteroid.objectworld.com/canit/b.php?c=f&i=426167&m=70e4012949f3
------------------------------------------------------
END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS