Subject: [Sipping] VoIP P2P vs VoIPeer

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 03:46:36 -0400

Dan Romanescu pointed out to several of us that there is confusion between
VoIP Peer to Peer work (usually abbreviated P2P) and the VoIPeer work, which
addresses peering of "standard" SIP signaling with intermediaries (proxy
servers).  

The P2P efforts are addressing endpoint directly contacting each other.
Services to assist contacting other peers may be provided by third parties,
but signaling ultimately is direct, and not a classic sip trapezoid.  The
P2P BoF held this morning was on this subject.

The VoIPeer effort is different.  It assumes there are intermediaries (think
carriers, but not everyone assumes an actual carrier) that need to peer with
one another.  As we know SIP is complex now, and so it's not easy to decide
what things are needed to successfully peer.   There is a BoF on that later
today.

Brian

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP