Subject: [Sipping] Request for clarification on config-framework draft

From: Goix Walter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:02:47 +0100

Cc: OMA BAC-Push mailing list

All,

This is a request for clarification on the usage of AUID and the usage
of the configuration framework under discussion in this group.

The Open Mobile Alliance [OMA, http://www.openmobilealliance.org] (a
specification body for vendors, operators and mobile device
manufacturers) is currently considering extensions to its 'push'
specifications. The 'push' framework, as developed by OMA, defines how,
in a mobile device environment, content may be sent from the network to
the device (with and without prior authorization). The mechanisms used
today for this are SMS (short message service) or WAP or HTTP. The
content may be markup based.

The extension to this framework involves considering how the 'push'
function would work if implemented using SIP. The group is currently
defining the procedures for delivering push to end-user devices using
the SIP protocol, labeled 'Push Using SIP'.
'Push using SIP' is currently defining, amongst others, an event-based
mechanism, relying upon the configuration framework
(draft-ietf-sipping-config-framework-07) as underlying technology to
deliver push. The concept is to reuse the configuration framework's
'application' profile type, as well as the 'auid' parameter to
discriminate the specific Push Applications targeted by the end-user
device's subscription.
Each push application is identified explicitly using a unique id, called
Push Application ID, registered with OMNA (Open Mobile Naming
Authority). OMNA is a naming authority specific to OMA, which registers
identifiers created by OMA but which have usage outside of OMA with
IANA. More information on OMNA is available at
http://www.openmobilealliance.org/tech/omna/index.htm.

In this context, we respectfully request feedback and clarifications on:

1. Can the 'auid' parameter be used to carry a OMNA-registered Push
Application ID? Is any specific procedure needed to enable this? The
list of currently registered Push Application IDs is publicly available
at http://www.openmobilealliance.org/tech/omna/omna-push-app-id.htm

2. From internal requirements, push content cannot always be represented
as an XCAP document. Is the usage of XCAP together with the
'application' profile type mandatory in the configuration framework or
can this framework be used also without XCAP (at 'application' profile
type level) to accommodate transport of Push content ?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Walter Goix, on behalf of the OMA BAC-Push group

Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia S.p.A.

====================================================================
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons
above and may contain confidential information. If you have received
the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to
[email-masked]. Thank you
====================================================================

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP