Subject: RE: [Sipping] autolearning of AORs

From: "Michael Procter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:46:23 -0000

Juha Heinanen writes:
> Michael Procter writes:
> 
>  > Isn't this problem addressed by 
> draft-ietf-sipping-config-framework?
> 
> that draft looks like an overkill to me.  if you look at example in
> section 5.1, the user needs to provide a hostname to subscribe for
> device profile:
> 
> The device prompts the user for the hostname to subscribe to for
>        the device profile.

In that example, that is true.  However, I think that if you are
deploying a phone into a network that you have some control over,
then you can arrange for a domain name to be supplied by the DHCP
server, which can then be used in an SRV lookup to find a proxy,
to which you can send the inital SUBSCRIBE.

> nothing like that should be needed.  username and password must be
> enough.

Indeed.  If you control enough of the network infrastructure, then
this is true.

Michael

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:09:14 +0200

> to which you can send the inital SUBSCRIBE.

i don't get it.  i'm now in a hotel room and i don't have any control
whatsoever with the DHCP server where i got my ip address.

 > Indeed.  If you control enough of the network infrastructure, then

in my proposal no control is required.

-- juha