Subject: [Sipping] Document Action: 'Requirements for Consent-Based Communications in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:08:19 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Requirements for Consent-Based Communications in the Session Initiation 
   Protocol (SIP) '
   <draft-ietf-sipping-consent-reqs-04.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Allison Mankin.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-consent-reqs-04.txt

Technical Summary

This document describes requirements for an explicit-consent forwarding
system for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). SIP is an Internet
application-layer control (signaling) protocol for creating, modifying,
and terminating sessions with one or more participants. SIP sessions
are separate from the media flows they establish. These sessions
include, in particular, telephone calls and sessions of instant
messages. By nature these services are intentionally intrusive and
therefore sensitive to undesirable communications.

SIP is designed according to the end-to-end principle and therefore
allows and expects delivery from any SIP node to any other SIP node
with no prior relationship. The requirements in this document are
designed to prevent undesirable communications in several forms, by
allowing explicit authorization and revocation to forward SIP requests.
These requirements are particularly important in the context of URIs
which represent lists or multiple users.

Working Group Summary

The document is a product of the SIPPING working group and was
developed over the course of about one year. The SIP community
(including participants of the SIMPLE, SIP, and SIPPING working groups)
and portions of the XCON working group jointly discussed and developed
new mechanisms to forward a single SIP request to a list of
participants (similar to an email mailing list) in support of
applications such as push-to-talk, dial-out conferencing, and group
paging style instant messages. The groups realized that such a
mechanism is a potential amplifier for unsolicited communications and
denial-of-service attacks. This document describes requirements for an
explicit-consent authorization and revocation system to mitigate this
and related attacks. The working group demonstrated strong consensus to
deliver a standard solution to this problem, and support for, or no objection 
to the specific requirements.

The working group is energetically developing mechanisms 
from these requirements.  It considered its consensus on this
document to significance as a milestone.

Protocol Quality

 This document was shepherded under the PROTO process
 by Rohan Mahy, co-chair of the SIP and SIPPING working groups.  

 Note to RFC Editor
 
Please expand the first use of URI to Uniform Resource Identifier.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP