Subject: Re: AW: [Sipping] Comment on draft-rosenberg-sipping-acr-code-00.txt

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:21:39 -0500

Alexeitsev, D wrote:

> Hello Jonathan,
> 
> The internalisation problem is an important observation for this case
> and it clearly shows the limitation of the display-name solution.
> 
> The proposed solution in draft-rosenberg-sip-identity-privacy-00.txt
> solves the overall privacy issue, but at the time being most of the
> SIP clients and networks do not support this procedures. Even support
> of the Privacy header is just starting to get momentum.

Understood.

> 
> As a short term solution for the backward compatibility with the
> currently available SIP UAs at least a clear statement about
> anonymous display-name value would help on the way forward to the
> overall solution.
> 
> As an example several real-life anonymous display-name values that
> were tracked:
> 
> "anonymous" Anonymous "Anonymous"
> 
> Basically almost all of the possible combinations.

I've updated the document to explicitly call out 'Anonymous' and 
'anonymous'. Note that RFC3261 fortunately is explicit here:

8.1.1.3 From

    The From header field indicates the logical identity of the initiator
    of the request, possibly the user's address-of-record.  Like the To
    header field, it contains a URI and optionally a display name.  It is
    used by SIP elements to determine which processing rules to apply to
    a request (for example, automatic call rejection).  As such, it is
    very important that the From URI not contain IP addresses or the FQDN
    of the host on which the UA is running, since these are not logical
    names.

    The From header field allows for a display name.  A UAC SHOULD use
    the display name "Anonymous", along with a syntactically correct, but
    otherwise meaningless URI (like sip:[email-masked]), if the
    identity of the client is to remain hidden.

So, I am including only what is listed in 3261 "Anonymous" plus the 
lower case version of it. Accounting for every possible language 
variation and misspelling is not going to be feasible.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP