Subject: [Sipping] autolearning of AORs

From: [email-masked] (Juha Heinanen)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 20:09:53 +0200

in order for sip to compete with alternatives, initial configuration of
sip ua must be as simple as possible.  it should be enough for the user
to only give to th eua his/her username and password, for example,
"[email-masked]" and "secret".  the ua should then automatically find out
user's AOR(s).

i don't remember seeing any ietf standardized, sip based way for the ua
to autolearn AORs and haven't seen such thing implemented in sip phones.
because we need some such mechanism for our next gen opensource sip ua,
i thought of two ways to implement it:

1) use OPTIONS request with some header that indicates to the proxy of
   the domain that it should return AORs of the user.

2) invent a new sip request for that purpose, for example, QUERY.

once that is settled, we would need to decide how the AORs are returned
in the reply.  again two choices come to mind:

1) use new header that lists the AORs, for example Address-of-Record.

2) return the AORs in an XML body of the reply.

any comments?  sorry if this has been discussed already.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Dale R. Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:21:10 -0500

> i thought of two ways to implement it:

I don't understand what you are asking.  If the UA is set up to be
configured as easily as possible, then it should be taking
"[email-masked]" as the AOR (which tells it enough to generate the
REGISTER request), "tutpro.com" as the authentication realm, "jh" (or
perhaps "[email-masked]") as the authentication user, and the
authentication password as specified by the user.  That seems to be
everything that is needed.

I am overlooking your real question...

Dale

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 03:48:21 +0200

> everything that is needed.

yes, if you assume that authentication username is the same as sip uri,
which may not be the case.  authentication username can be [email-masked]
and one of aors can be sip:[email-masked].

 > I am overlooking your real question...

no, but you make a false assumption and authentication username is the
same as aor and that the user has only one aor.

-- juha

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:13:29 +0200

I think RFC 3263, Locating SIP servers, will bring answer to the 
question: "how do I find my SIP server". Then you can send a REGISTER to 
the SIP registrar in your domain.

The 200 OK response to the REGISTER (after authentication, of course), 
can contain a P-Associated-URI (RFC 3455) that will bring you a bunch of 
AORs that are are your disposal.

You can then use a subscription to the reg event (RFC 3680) if you want 
more detailed information.

BR,

      Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
sip:[email-masked]
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:22:28 +0200

> the SIP registrar in your domain.

miguel,

what uri would UA put in To header of REGISTER request, when it doesn't
know any?  looks like there must be some means to tell to SIP server
that this is not a real registration, but an AOR query.

-- juha

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:29:52 +0200

> that this is not a real registration, but an AOR query.

Juha,

I thought you could provision the registrar with the one SIP AOR, e.g., 
sip:[email-masked] as an initial SIP URI for bootstrapping. Then the 
administrator or user may want to ban the usage of this URI if it is 
meaningless. But since the user is able to register and acquire other 
meaningful URIs, the problem should be solved.

/Miguel

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:21:56 +0200

> meaningful URIs, the problem should be solved.

allocating meaningless uris is too big hack.  this meaningless uri
cannot be banned, since it may be needed multiple times (once per each
new UA).  

so either there is a well defined way to tell to registrar that a
registration in fact is a query or we need to implement the config
framework stuff, which to me looks far too heavy for such a simple
purpose as learning AORs.

-- juha