Subject: RE: [Sipping] Requirements fortheidentificationof IMScommunicationservices.

From: "Hadriel Kaplan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:44:35 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Henry Sinnreich [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 10:17 AM
> To: 'Andrew Allen'; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Sipping] Requirements fortheidentificationof
> IMScommunicationservices.
> 
> By contrast, the Internet view of the world is based on the e2e principle,
> because putting service in the network (such as mentioned above) stifles
> innovation and removes user choice and control. Only the endpoints can
> best
> introduce, own and manage their own applications, state, data, etc.

Who's Internet view of the world?  I would argue email is a pretty popular
Internet application/service (I'm using it right now), and clearly it's
rarely end-to-end.  Unless you're telling me this email goes from my PC to
your PC.

So is DNS not a network-based service?  Or DHCP, or network time protocol,
or numerous online games, or instant messaging apps.  What about stun/turn?

> Skype can be considered as a pre-standard P2P communication application
> and
> it dominates VoIP. SIP is also P2P by nature and servers are only
> _optional_
> , a fact that many tend forget.

As far as I can tell Skype is not end-to-end.  Their servers are not
optional.  It just happens to be that they re-use their customers' PCs as
the servers (and they also own a few of their own).  It may be physically
possible that after a previous call you can start a skype session directly
to the far-end user, but that almost never happens (and obviously can't if
they're behind a NAT).  

Skype is so popular for one reason and one reason only - it's free.  It
would be just as popular if it was based on a TISPAN model and was free.
With the exception of a few techno-geeks, people don't care what the
protocol is nor how the service is built behind the scenes.  This is just
consumer sales 101.  They are driven by cost, features, usability, etc.
Some want the cheapest, some want the most features, some want the most
reliable, whatever.  That's why British Airways and Easy-Jet both exist.

-hadriel

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP