Subject: [Sipping] New ID: draft-akhtar-sipping-header-reduction-00.txt

From: "Haseeb Akhtar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 19:00:43 -0600

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories. 

Title : New SIP Headers for Reducing SIP Message Size Author(s) : H.
Akhtar, et al. 
Filename : draft-akhtar-sipping-header-reduction-00.txt 
Pages : 18 Date : 2006-2-28 

Current SIP messages are text based and inherently large, especially
when 
these messages are to be transmitted over the bandwidth-strained
wireless 
access technologies (a typical originating SIP Invite is about 1200
bytes). 

For most wireless technologies, transmitting the session initiation 
messages (such as SIP Invite) over the signaling channel can reduce 
the call setup time substantially. The size limitation of these 
wireless signaling channels are typically very small (~210 bytes in the 
uplink and ~110 bytes in the downlink). 

To address this problem, a new function called Encoding Assistant (EA)
has 
been introduced in the User Agent (UA) and in the SIP Proxy server
within 
the network. Additionally, the method provided in this document defines
new 
SIP option tags and headers. These new option tags and headers allow the
UA 
and a SIP Proxy server within the network (such as the P-CSCF), to
exchange 
information using the signaling channels supported by most wireless
access networks. 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-akhtar-sipping-header-reductio
n-00.txt 

The authors would appreciate your comments.

Regards,

Haseeb

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP