Subject: [Sipping] draft-niccolini-sipping-feedback-spit-00

From: "Saverio Niccolini" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:17:13 +0100

Dear all,

we submitted this draft:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-niccolini-sipping-feedback-spi
t-00.txt

because we believe feedback information coming from users is important
to better identify SPIT calls. We tried to identify requirements and
possible
alternatives for sending feedbacks in SIP for SPIT identificaiton
purposes.

We provided Gonzalo with one slide describing our draft and he will show
this slide at the SIPPING WG meeting.

John Elwell commented that he would like to see also:
-- Via headers
-- Max-Forwards
as feeback info.

Are there any more comments?
Do you believe this is an important topic the group should discuss?

Cheers,
Saverio

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Elwell, John [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:49 PM
> To: Saverio Niccolini
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sipping] RE: 
> I-DACTION:draft-niccolini-ippm-storetraceroutes-03.txt
> 
> Saverio,
> 
> In addition to the information you suggest as being 
> potentially useful to
> the SPIT identification system, perhaps things like Via headers and
> Max-Forwards might be of use.
> 
> John

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:26:22 -0800

> Do you believe this is an important topic the group should discuss?

I don't feel standardizing this is helpful for SPIT.  There has been years
of research into email antispam.  While they have content and subject lines
(and SIP doesn't), the problem of 'blacklisting' someone is very complex
(how does one get off the list, what if a blacklisted person is a legitimate
customer of a legitimate company [wants to get their car repaired at the
local car dealer, or wants to get a pizza delivered] but that person earlier
in the day was harassing their congressman's office and got blacklisted?

I don't think we want to go there, at least not in SIP or in SIPPING.

Whoever does go there can tell us what information they find useful.  And
I'm sure it'll be sip-identity and some codification of the claimed SPIT
offense.

-d