Subject: [Sipping] comments on draft-channabasappa-sipua-config-mgmt

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:44:47 -0500

Thanks for putting this together. A few comments and questions:

* On the topic of SMI-to-XML; I'm curious if you have looked at the 
sipping data profile documents? These in particular:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-petrie-sipping-profile-datasets-03.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-petrie-sipping-sip-dataset-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-petrie-sipping-identity-dataset-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-petrie-sipping-voip-features-dataset-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-media-policy-dataset-00.txt

Most of these are still individual, though they have been discussed in 
sipping a few times. Not being a SMI expert at all, I don't know how 
these compare to SMI in terms of capabilities.

* On the topic of XCAP ACLs - I agree completely that this is needed. It 
has been a recognized gap, but was something we decided not to initially 
address. The mechanism that I had in mind for it was that the acls were 
not part of the data schema itself (since thats not really possible with 
xml schema), but that you would use a separate document format whose 
role is to define ACLs. I had in mind a common policy extension 
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-common-policy-08.txt) 
whose conditions would include xpath expressions defining sub-trees in 
the XML document, and conditions for the desired action (add, delete, 
modify), along with the resulting permission (allow/deny).

* We have some precedent for using sip events for things that could 
arguably be in the category of performance metrics reporting 
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-rtcp-summary-01.txt) 
but these have not been part of the config framework. Rather, its a 
separate event package specific to each type of data that is being 
reported. Are you suggesting a single event package covering all of the 
data which might be similarly reported?

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP