Subject: Re: [Sipping] Device Identity

From: "Dale R. Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:10:40 -0500

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 14:25 -0500, Josh Littlefield wrote:
> Dale R. Worley wrote:
> >>>> It seems like these "MAC:" pseudo-URIs should be registered as a  proper
> >>>> URI scheme.
> > 
> > What if I write a section of the I-D that is a proper request to
> > register "MAC:" as a URI-scheme?  If it can stand alone as a
> > registration request, and also be a section of the I-D, I would think it
> > should be fairly easy to get it approved as a URI-scheme.
> > 
> > Dale
> 
> If this discussion is around the MAC: pseudo-URI in the 
> sipping-config-framework, I should point out that it does not use MAC: 
> as a URI scheme.  MAC: is a username convention used in a normal SIP: URI.

OK, I finally had a chance to look, and you're right.  So as far as the
config framework goes, there is no reason to define a MAC URN-namespace.

But I did do a search on the I-Ds I have accumulated, and found a few
instances where "MAC:xxxxxxx" *is* used as a URN.  draft-ietf-simple-
presence-data-model-07.txt and draft-ietf-simple-rpid-05.txt take the
approach of using a MAC URN as a device identifier.  Curiously, all the
examples use the syntax "mac:xxxxxxxxxx", whereas RFC 2141 makes it
clear that the syntax would have to be "urn:max:xxxxxxxxxxxx".

If the subject of these drafts were to advance toward standardization,
the "MAC URN" is something that would have to be cleared up.  But as
Josh points out, that need not be done for the config framework, as as
others have pointed out, suitable device-dependent "instance
identifiers" can be generated using the standardized UUID mechanism.

Dale

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP