Subject: [Sipping] Overload error codes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:39:31 -0500

While we're at it, I think we need to define another error code.  503
means "this element is overloaded" and is supposed to have hop-by-hop
semantics.  In particular, a proxy that receives a 503 from downstream
should not send a 503 upstream, for fear of preventing upstream
elements from sending it any further traffic.

But we need a way of signalling to a UAC that its request failed due
to overload *somewhere*, much like the "reorder" signal in the PSTN.

This becomes increasingly important as proxy systems get more
sophisticated and start incorporating "failover" processing -- a
request sent on one path that has overloaded should be sent to a
failover path, but most other failures should not be.

Dale

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP