Subject: [Sipping] Comments on draft-ietf-sipping-config-framework-10

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:20:04 -0500

Thanks for putting together a first revised version. It's  
significantly improved, but I think it still is overly complicated  
and needs too much reading ahead to make sense.

Some quick-read random comments:

(1) It would be most helpful to state up front what you assume the UA  
needs to know to be configured - MAC address? A SIP AOR and password?  
Does this vary by model? If so, does a user agent have to be "born"  
for a specific environment? I thought the idea was that we would have  
generic devices that would work just as well in a home environment,  
in a carrier environment and in an enterprise environment, without  
manual intervention and flipping a "you are now in a LAN" switch.  
 From the draft, I get the feeling that this is not the case; if I  
misread the draft, maybe this needs to be stated as a clear goal up  
front.

I would find it much more helpful to go by knowledge, rather than by  
deployment scenario. An end device does not and should not know  
whether I use the same provider as VSP and ISP, say.

Thus, I could follow logic that said: "If you only know your MAC  
address, do X. This gives you one or more SIP AOR. Once you have a  
SIP AOR, do Y and you get configuration information from A and B."

(2) Client and User Agent are used in somewhat confusing ways.  
Sometimes client seems to be the same as "piece of hardware", in  
other cases its more abstract or is only used for device  
configuration. Given that client is such an overused term, I'd stick  
with SIP terminology (UAC, say) unless it really means something  
fundamentally different. For DHCP, we obviously need to use the term  
host. If there's some 1:N relationship here, it needs to be explained  
early, not just in some glossary.

(3) Editorially, I find the way of writing like the US Constitution  
annoying, i.e., where Every Important Word is Capitalized. This looks  
like You Are Screaming. Once you define a term, it is understood to  
have a certain meaning, without the need to capitalize it.

As a nit, "such as" and "etc" are never used together.

Henning

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Goix Laurent Walter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:42:00 +0100

All,

>From a first look at -10 (already in -09 in fact) it seems that the 'application' profile type has definitely moved for exclusive usage with XCAP. 

>From http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-xcap-config-01.txt : " Specifying the "application" type profile also implies the use of XCAP."

In OMA the BAC-CD (Push) group is working at defining an OMA SIP Push specification that relies on the config-framework to push to mobile devices using SIP, and in particular to the "application" profile type (although not using XCAP).

Since -09 we are trying to understand how to deal with this issue, would it be defining a parallel profile-type (by the way also with a "AUID"/application-id kind of concept) if using the config-framework, or specify our own Event package.

In both cases we would probably need some IANA registration and some further guidelines on the related process & time needed to release our specification. 

Any comment or suggestion would be helpful.

Cheers
Walter Goix
PS: I am wondering at this point why the profile-type is 'xcap-config' isn't renamed "xcap", since it seems very tighten to it, leaving "application" for real "application"-level information (potentially of any type of content). While also not thinking about using XCAP for other "levels" of configuration/information and not only at 'application' level?

-----Original Message-----
From: Henning Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: martedì 23 gennaio 2007 2.20
To: sipping
Subject: [Sipping] Comments on draft-ietf-sipping-config-framework-10

Henning

--------------------------------------------------------------------

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons above and may contain confidential information. If you have received the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by replying to [email-masked].

        Thank you

                                        www.telecomitalia.it

--------------------------------------------------------------------