Subject: [Sipping] Remote file listing with SIP

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:40:57 +0200

Hi:

We submitted recently an updated version of three drafts that describe 
how a UA can get a list of files stored in a remote UA or server. Then 
the UA can use the file transfer mechanism to download any of the files 
(modulo authorization).

The authors are requesting feedback and comments. Specifically, we are 
interested to taste the waters whether this is some interesting 
functionality that we should pursue or not.

I would recommend to start with the framework document,
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-garcia-sipping-resource-sharing-framework-01.txt

And if you want to further go to the details, you can continue with 
these other two:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-garcia-sipping-resource-event-package-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-garcia-sipping-resource-desc-pidf-00.txt

Looking forward to your comments.

/Miguel
-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
sip:[email-masked]
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:56:19 -0500

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>

   We submitted recently an updated version of three drafts that
   describe how a UA can get a list of files stored in a remote UA or
   server. Then the UA can use the file transfer mechanism to download
   any of the files (modulo authorization).

Why could one not just use the file transfer mechanism to get a
directory listing?

Dale

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:56:56 +0200

Dale,

The file transfer mechanism does not include directory listing. The file 
transfer mechanism allows you to do two things:

a) Push a file to the remote UA
b) If you happen to know an identifier of a remote file (such as the 
hash of the file), then you can pull a file from the remote UA.

The resource sharing drafts are trying to solve the "if you happen to 
know an identifier of a remote file", i.e., get a directory list of 
remote files. Once you have got them, you can start the file transfer 
mechanism to pull the file.

/Miguel