Subject: [Sipping] Updated Draft: SIP End-to-End Performance Metrics

From: Daryl Malas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:38:02 -0700

To all:

I have submitted a revision to the SIP End-to-End Performance Metrics
draft.

The following revisions have been made to the draft:

- Added a template for metrics in order to guide extensibility (Section
5.4)
- Replaced verbiage in section 5.2 to be more general towards any
network management protocols
- Changed Term "Time Begin" to begin when the first bit is sent
(reference E.721 Post-selection Delay) and not the last; also, provided
clarity around the term.
- Changed all metrics "average" description to indicate the calculation
as one of the uses of the metric
- On some metrics, specified a single time value of milliseconds instead
of "seconds and/or milliseconds"
- Added new terms: Session, Session Setup, and Session Establishment
(clarified "media" is not measured in these metrics)
- Combined conventions and terminology into one section per IETF
guidelines
- Expanded acronyms on first use per IETF guidelines
- Clarified RRD to indicate what response to utilize to determine
failure
- Added reference to ITU E.721 for Post-selection Delay as related to
SRD
- Added back in Average Hops per INVITE (AHI) as requested by working
group
- Removed statement "all metrics calculated by inputs at UAC"
- Added statements to metrics which can be calculated at both UAC and
UAS, and included diagrams where applicable (Section 3.3 and 3.4)
- Added references to ASR (E.411) and PDD (E.721)
- Added new "Additional Metrics for Consideration" (Section 5.5)
- Added considerations regarding forking
- Clarified terms TB/TS

Please let me know your thoughts on this revision.  Thank you to
everyone who provided feedback in San Diego, email, and the mailing
list. --Daryl
----------------------------------------------------------------------

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: SIP End-to-End Performance Metrics
	Author(s)	: D. Malas
	Filename	: draft-malas-performance-metrics-06.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 2007-1-22
	
This document defines a set of metrics and their usage to evaluate 
the performance of end-to-end Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) based 
services in both production and testing environments.  The purpose of 
this document is to combine a set of common metrics, allowing 
interoperable performance measurements, easing the comparison of 
industry implementations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-malas-performance-metrics-06.txt

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP