Subject: [Sipping] Updated draft on alias identities

From: "Jesus Javier Arauz (MI/EEM)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 01:07:28 +0200

Folks,

I've just submitted an updated version of the draft on notification of
alias groups. Until it shows up on the list you can fetch it from
http://www.indiana-web.com/draft-jarauz-sipping-grouping-reg-event-01.tx
t.

Many Internet-based systems support the concept of aliases. For instance
most HTTP-based discusion forums support one or more aliases to one's
real name. These aliases come handy as part of one's avatar or as a
short alternative to using your real name. However aliases are not
restricted to the Internet. PBX systems have been supporting aliases for
decades, where there is a short (private) number and a long (public)
number for a PBX extension which are alias to each other.

SIP-based networks could benefit from supporting the alias concept as
well. SIP already allows a user to own multiple AoRs simultaneously. The
draft  assumes that the SIP network entities, specifically the user's
registrar, somehow support linking a user's AoRs in alias groups (a.k.a.
Grouped Identities Sets in the draft), and then covers how to notify
other entities that may need to know about those groups. The draft does
not cater for a mechanism that would allow a user to create those
groups. That mechanism could be the subject of another ID.

In this version I've clarified the processing of alias group information
conveyed in extended reg-event notifications. I've also added some cases
to the introduction that further justify the need for network entities
to know about the alias groups. And last but not least, I've reserved a
new XML sub-namespace under 'urn:ietf:params:xml:reginfo' for the alias
group information.

Any comments will be really welcome.

Regards,
/Javier

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP