Subject: [Sipping] Importance of having a standard XML format for describing files

From: Trace Bond <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 04:50:54 -0400

Hello,
I read with excitement the Internet-Draft "A Session Initiation Protocol
(SIP) Event Package and Data Format for Describing Files".
A standard XML format for describing files is very important in making,
duplicating and sharing vendor-independent file systems.
Trace Bond
CTV Television Network
Vancouver, CANADA

PS: Perhaps there are other such XML formats that I'm unaware of. Can anyone
enlighten?

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:04:38 +0900

Do be very aware that the XML type described by
draft-garcia-sipping-file-event-package-00 is very SIP-specific.  It
includes a lot of elements that make no sense for sharing files.  Most
importantly, it only defines the use of SIP for accessing the referenced
file.

This does raise two issues.  First, is there not already a XML schema for
describing files in a file-system-independent manner?  I know that is
already done, in an infinitely more compact way than could possible be done
in XML, with MIME and external-body.  However, I would think that with the
mentality that every problem needs an XML solution, I would expect someone
has done "file metadata in XML" already.

Second, if there is not already an XML schema for describing files, I would
offer that is way outside the bounds for SIP/SIPPING to work on.  As Trace
points out, such a service would be quite useful outside the SIP realm.
Thus, we should punt this to an appropriate group (apps?) to work on it.

> PS: Perhaps there are other such XML formats that I'm unaware of. Can anyone

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.