Subject: [Sipping] query on draft-ietf-sipping-dialogusage-06

From: "Malleswara Rao Ankem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:31:42 +0530

Section 5.2) of draft-ietf-sipping-dialogusage-06 indicates that at 408
response (or a time out) to a transaction within a usage of dialog should
affect only that specific usage of the dialog and should not affect the
other usages as such.
But is n't the 408 response  indicating that the request has timed out ?
which basically should mean that the other UA has either died or is in some
infinite looping condition?
Why should not the entire dialog state change to terminated ? why should a
UA wait for timeouts on all the other usages ?

-Mallesh
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:44:06 -0500

You need to read section 5.2 more carefully - a 408 affects only the  
transaction by itself.

Some usages will be terminated if a transaction inside them receives  
a 408 (3261 says
to send a BYE in an INVITE created dialog).

And remember that the far UA being completely gone is only one way  
you could end up with a 408.
You could have a proxy that has (for instance) a hard time dealing  
with some particular SUBSCRIBE
refresh request but would pass an re-INVITE on that same dialog along  
just fine. The UA itself may
be failing in a similar fashion.

So, when we discussed this, we determined that the safest thing to  
specify was that the usages came
down independently.

RjS

On Jun 19, 2007, at 2:01 AM, Malleswara Rao Ankem wrote:

> Section 5.2) of draft-ietf-sipping-dialogusage-06 indicates that at  
> 408 response (or a time out) to a transaction within a usage of  
> dialog should affect only that specific usage of the dialog and  
> should not affect the other usages as such.
> But is n't the 408 response  indicating that the request has timed  
> out ? which basically should mean that the other UA has either died  
> or is in some infinite looping condition?
> Why should not the entire dialog state change to terminated ? why  
> should a UA wait for timeouts on all the other usages ?
>
> -Mallesh
>
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:28:04 -0400

From: "Malleswara Rao Ankem" <[email-masked]>

To allow for some robustness in the face of transient networking or
proxy problems.

Dale