Subject: [Sipping] CAP & Security

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:00:39 +0200

Brian compiled a nice CAP example document to remind me about the need 
to describe security as well.

Ciao
Hannes

<cap:alert xmlns:cap="urn:oasis:names:tc:emergency:cap:1.1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="urn:oasis:names:tc:emergency:cap:1.1cap-v11.xsd">
<cap:identifier>urn:rsmc:WTI030 FMEE 260002</cap:identifier>
<cap:sender>[email-masked]</cap:sender>
<cap:sent>2007-05-15:16:29+02:00</cap:sent>
<cap:status>Actual</cap:status>
<cap:msgType>Alert</cap:msgType>
<cap:scope>Public</cap:scope>
<cap:info>
 <cap:category>Scam</cap:category>
 <cap:event>PhishingTrip</cap:event>
 <cap:urgency>Future</cap:urgency>
 <cap:severity>Extreme</cap:severity>
 <cap:certainty>High</cap:certainty>
 <cap:headline>ACCOUNT COMPROMISED</cap:headline>
 <cap:description>Your savings account seem to have being compromised. In order to protect it please visit the below web address and ENTER all asked data urrgently. Your help desk.</cap:description>
 <cap:web>https://noscam.ru/welcome.htm</cap:web>
</cap:info>
</cap:alert> 
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:40:03 +0200

My concern was triggered by a message from Eliot Christian
with the subject "FCC Press Release on Order requiring use of CAP".
It seems fairly clear that their security model is a closed
network of trusted senders and receivers, which leaves
the question of authenticating senders to the general
public wide open. I'm sure we don't wish CAP to become
a vehicle for phishing, because an apparently valid public
safety warning would be an extremely powerful phishing
tool.

    Brian

On 2007-07-18 11:00, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>