Subject: [Sipping] HERFP work

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 02:52:44 +0300

Folks,

today, in the SIPPING session, we agreed that the SIPPING WG should work 
on, at least, resolving the problem described in:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-holmberg-sipping-199-02.txt

This problem is a subset of the more general HERFP problem, which is not 
only concerned with how to provide the UAC with information about the 
final error response generated by the UAS, but also with how to fix the 
problem reported by the final error response (e.g., by sending a new 
request).

Here you have a few (already expired) individual drafts on HERFP:

http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-jbemmel-sipping-herfp-solution-00.txt
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-jbemmel-herfp-solution-00.txt
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-mahy-sipping-herfp-fix-01.txt
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-roach-sip-herfp-avoidance-00.txt
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-rosenberg-sip-unify-00.txt

We need to decide whether it is enough to work on the problem described 
in draft-holmberg-sipping-199-02.txt or we should work on the more 
general HERFP problem.

Comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Gonzalo
SIPPING WG co-chair

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 01:04:12 +0100

Sorry I didn't get up to speak to this during the session, but I still
have a hard time understanding why the 199 proposal addresses HERFP,
even partially. The 199 response just indicates that an early dialog has
terminated, without giving any reason. To me it addresses a different
problem space.

John

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gonzalo Camarillo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 27 July 2007 00:53
> To: sipping
> Cc: Mary Barnes
> Subject: [Sipping] HERFP work
> 
> Folks,
>

---

From: "Jeroen van Bemmel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:46:28 +0200

All,

Would like to remark that 
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-jbemmel-sipping-herfp-solution-00.txt 
is an evolution of 
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-jbemmel-herfp-solution-00.txt, so 
you can disregard the latter.

Also, RFC3326 (Reason header) mentions HERFP and discusses the option of 
including a final error code in a provisional response (using Reason). It 
could be used in combination with the 199 proposal.

Regards,
Jeroen

Elwell, John wrote:
> even partially. The 199 response just indicates that an early dialog
> has terminated, without giving any reason. To me it addresses a
> different problem space.
>
> John
>