Subject: [Sipping] 4xx message for informing user of an existing subsription

From: "Avasarala Ranjit-A20990" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:20:13 +0800

Hi

Which is the appropriate 4xx message that can be used to inform user of
an existing subscription? 

Consider the following use case: User A sends a subscribe message with a
particular event and gets subscribed to the service. Now at a later
point of time the user is not sure if he has subscribed for a particular
service or not. So he might send subscribe again. So is there a way to
inform the user that the subscription for that service for the user
already exists?

Thanks 

Regards
Ranjit

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:31:29 -0400

There is no error response for this, because it isn't an error. It is 
quite legal to establish multiple subscriptions for the same event. 
While in some cases this might be redundant and silly, it is difficult 
or impossible for the notifier to distinguish the useful cases from the 
silly ones.

	Paul

Avasarala Ranjit-A20990 wrote:
> Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
> Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip
>

---

From: "Jerry Yin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:43:33 -0400

The user will get a notification (NOTIFY) for that subscription each time it
subscribe to the service. Therefore, the user won't be confused if the UA
can present the subscription state to the user correctly.

Jerry

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Avasarala Ranjit-A20990 [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:20 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sipping] 4xx message for informing user of an existing
> subsription
> Importance: High
>
>
> Hi
>