Subject: Re: [Sipping] Accounting and Billing Service Indicator Example

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 00:18:01 -0400

Eric Burger wrote:
> I would offer the accounting and billing service indicator example is
> actually an example of why NOT to use the service indicator (section 5.5):
> 
>    For example, in the case of IPTV, a service provider can bill based
>    on the content (US $5 per movie, perhaps), whereas for multimedia
>    conferencing, they can bill by the minute.  This requires the
>    accounting streams to indicate which service was invoked for the
>    particular session.
> 
> One of the use cases for a media server is to pipe content into a
> conference.  So, when someone requests a media server to connect to an IPTV
> server to pipe a CNN feed into a conference, is that an IPTV service or a
> conference service?

Sure; however the point of this section is to really just enumerate the 
set of things people think they need a service identifier to do. In all 
cases, having an explicit service identifier inserted by UA actually 
doesn't work for any of them, this one included. But I still think there 
is value in mentioning that accounting is one of the things people think 
they want with this identifier.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP