Subject: [Sipping] inconsistency between RFC4235 (Dialog package) and gruu-reg-event-09 example

From: "Jeroen van Bemmel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:57:14 +0200

Paul,

Regarding '<' '>' around instance-id in XML:

In RFC4235 (Dialog event package) it is explicitly stated in 4.1.6.2:
[...] Note that any quoting (including extra angle-bracket quoting used to 
quote string values in [10]) or backslash escaping MUST be removed before 
being placed in a pval attribute.

[10] refers to RFC3840 "Indicating User Agent Capabilities in the Session 
Initiation Protocol (SIP)"

RFC3680 (reg event package) does not discuss this. The examples in 
gruu-reg-event all use '&gt;' '&lt;' XML encoding for the '<' '>' 
characters around the instance id in "unknown-param" elements. For 
consistency with RFC4235, I think they should be omitted.

Regards,
Jeroen 
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:42:45 -0400

Jeroen,

The gruu-reg-event draft doesn't define the unknown-param element - that 
is defined in RFC3680. I had need to use that in an example, and did it 
the way I thought was consistent with 3680, even if it happens to be 
inconsistent with 4235 which defines a different element for the purpose.

I'm going to have to consult with Jonathan, as author of 3680, about 
this. It seems that you may be asking for gruu-reg-event to act as a 
clarification/revision of 3680 as well as an extension. That would be a 
significant change at this stage of the game.

There is also an issue that 4235 doesn't talk about. The "<" and ">" are 
there for a reason in callerprefs. They are needed for callerpref values 
that contain strings, but not for callerpref values that contain other 
sorts of values. Removing them loses the significance. We may need to 
hunt back to dig out the reasoning about this.

	Thanks,
	Paul

Jeroen van Bemmel wrote:
> [...] Note that any quoting (including extra angle-bracket quoting used 
> to quote string values in [10]) or backslash escaping MUST be removed 
> before being placed in a pval attribute.
>  
> [10] refers to RFC3840 "Indicating User Agent Capabilities in the 
> Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)"
>  
> gruu-reg-event all use '&gt;' '&lt;' XML encoding for the '<' 
> '>'  characters around the instance id in "unknown-param" elements. For