Subject: [Sipping] SPEC SIP benchmarking effort

From: Erich Nahum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:25:56 -0500

I announced some information about the SPEC SIP benchmarking effort
some time ago on this mailing list and wanted to let people know how 
things were progressing.

The SPEC SIP SubCommittee was established in March of 2007 and has been
chartered with designing, developing, and releasing a benchmark.  The
benchmark design document is completed, and development of the benchmark
is under way with an expected release date of 2Q 2008.

	http://www.spec.org/specsip

The design document is a result of a collaborative, consensus effort
with participation from AMD, BEA, Columbia University, Communigate 
Systems, HP, Intel, IBM, and Sun Microsystems.  There is also a design 
FAQ to answer common questions.  

I'm making this announcement for two reasons:

- To solicit feedback about the design document.  Most of our members
  are on the server side rather than ISP or NEP side, and getting
  additional perspective would of course help.

- To encourage participation in the SPEC SIP SubCommittee.  There's
  still plenty of opportunity to influence the benchmark and help in
  the development, testing, and documentation.

While participating in SPEC does cost money, we can allow temporary
participation on a trial basis in the SubCommittee so that people can
test it out and see if they want to pursue it.  We have weekly calls on 
Thursdays at 10:00 AM Pacific.  We could also schedule an extra call if
there is enough demand.  You can find out more about SPEC membership at 

	http://www.spec.org/spec/membership.html

Please contact me if interested. I'll also try to respond to any comments
about the design document posted on the mailing list.

Thanks,

-Erich
-- 
Erich M. Nahum                  IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Research Staff Member           P.O. Box 704
[email-masked]            Yorktown Heights NY 10598
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP