Subject: [Sipping] [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-hilt-sipping-overload-04.txt]

From: Volker Hilt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 18:30:00 -0500

I've submitted a new version of the overload control draft 
draft-hilt-sipping-overload. It is available at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hilt-sipping-overload-04.txt

Here is a quick change log:
- Replaced the overload-control header field with a Via header parameter 
(in responses).
- Added a Via header parameter to indicate support for overload control 
(in requests).
- Discussed that a server should stop sending when it does not receive 
any response from a downstream neighbor. This avoids that an overloaded 
server that is incapable of generating feedback will receive the full load.
- Removed the fade-out mechanism for overload control feedback. The 
above "stop sending on no response" policy already prevents overload of 
unresponsive servers.
- Editorial changes throughout the text.

Thanks,

Volker

Subject: I-D Action:draft-hilt-sipping-overload-04.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:15:01 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: Internet Draft Announcements <i-d-announce.ietf.org>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Overload Control
	Author(s)       : V. Hilt, et al.
	Filename        : draft-hilt-sipping-overload-04.txt
	Pages           : 34
	Date            : 2008-02-22

Overload occurs in Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) networks when
SIP servers have insufficient resources to handle all SIP messages
they receive.  Even though the SIP protocol provides a limited
overload control mechanism through its 503 (Service Unavailable)
response code, SIP servers are still vulnerable to overload.  This
document proposes new overload control mechanisms for SIP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hilt-sipping-overload-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hilt-sipping-overload-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hilt-sipping-overload-04.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP