Subject: [Sipping] Draft agenda

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:01:47 +0200

Folks,

as you probably know, you can find the draft agenda for the SIPPING 
sessions at:

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08mar/agenda/sipping.htm

Cheers,

Gonzalo

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Asveren, Tolga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:40:29 -0500

Noticed the absence of an update from overload design team, and am now
wondering whether there is any new data ready to be shared with the WG.
Maybe some non-WG meeting to inform the curious crowd?

Thanks,
Tolga

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf
> Of Gonzalo Camarillo
> Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 7:02 AM
> To: sipping
> Cc: Mary Barnes
> Subject: [Sipping] Draft agenda
> 
> Folks,
>

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:48:04 -0600

Thank you for asking, as I wanted to highlight that Volker Hilt will be
presenting on behalf of the Overload Design team at the ICCRG meeting
next week.  Related to that presentation, Lars Eggert (Transport AD) has
given agenda time in the Transport Open Area meeting for Volker to
provide a summary of that presentation:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08mar/agenda/tsvarea.txt  

Note that this does conflict with XCON (and folks in SIMPLE will have to
run to catch the presentation as the TSVAREA slot overlaps the 10 minute
break), but this is likely that best that could have been done given the
difficulty in scheduling RAI sessions in general. 

As folks might recall, the primary feedback at IETF-70 on the Overload
presentation was that we needed to involve the congestion control
experts in the Transport area to get their input in this area, so that's
why this topic is being discussed there this time around. 

Regards, 
Mary. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Asveren, Tolga [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 9:40 AM
To: Gonzalo Camarillo; sipping
Cc: Barnes, Mary (RICH2:AR00)
Subject: Draft agenda / No overload design team update?

Thanks,
Tolga

Behalf
> This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP Use 
> [email-masked] for questions on current sip Use 
> [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:43:23 -0500

There has also been progress since last ietf.

One of the main points of feedback from last ietf, was that all of the 
proposed algorithms showed the overall goodput going to zero. As we dug 
into this, the real problem is the simulation model; the model assumes 
the senders never back off, and assumes that there is finite resources 
in all nodes, some amount of which is needed even to discard a request. 
So, when you put those together, the simulation model means ALL 
algorithms would have this property.

SO we've adjusted the models to focus on server to server first, and see 
whether the algorithms can adjust the load between servers by asking the 
previous hop to reduce its rate. We don't worry for now about how the 
previous hop does that.

Volker will be presenting results that show several algorithms do a 
pretty good job of coming close to the optimal goodput curve. Another 
result in the slides is that rate-based feedback, where the downstream 
node tells the upstream to slow down to a specific rate, works better 
than 'bang-bang' algorithms which use the Retry-After field in a 503 to 
tell the upstream neighbor to stop completely for a specific amount of 
time. So, though we are not ruling such algorithms out yet, our focus 
will be on driving additional simulation cases around the rate-based 
mechanisms, all of which perform pretty similarly based on current 
simulations.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   499 Thornall St.
Cisco Fellow                                   Edison, NJ 08837
Cisco, Voice Technology Group
[email-masked]
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (408) 902-3084
http://www.cisco.com
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP