Subject: Re: [Sipping] [Fwd:I-D Action:draft-ietf-sipping-sip-offeranswer-09.txt]

From: "Christer Holmberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 14:06:53 +0100

Hi,

I don't think it's within the scope of the draft to say what the UA
should do - unless it is specified somewhere else, in which case the
draft could refer to that specification.

Regards,

Christer

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Hendrik Scholz
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:58 PM
To: Paul Kyzivat
Cc: sipping
Subject: Re: [Sipping] [Fwd:I-D
Action:draft-ietf-sipping-sip-offeranswer-09.txt]

Hi!

I noticed this in section 3.1:

   o To avoid receiving media from undesired sources, some User
      Agents assume symmetric RTP will be used, ignore all incoming
      media packets until an address/port has been received from the
      other end, and then use that address/port to filter incoming
      media packets.

Should a UA silently drop/ignore the packets or is it OK to send ICMP
port unreachables?
If the UA does not follow RFC3261 ("start accepting RTP once it sends
the SDP offer") the remote endpoint would have to be able to deal with
ICMP errors.

Thanks,
  Hendrik

--
Hendrik Scholz <[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:46:30 -0500

> draft could refer to that specification.

Right. This draft is about signaling to negotiate media, its not about 
media processing. Also, I don't know if there is a best practice in this 
area.

	Thanks,
	Paul