Subject: test
From: Mark Inokuchi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 12:47:57 -0800
Newsgroups: mcom.list.ietf-smime

test
test

Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 14:29:05 -0800
To: [email-masked]
From: "Paul E. Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Beginning of the SMIME BOF
Sender: [email-masked]

Greetings. As you can tell, the ietf-smime mailing list is now active. As
mentioned in the first response letter you got, there is a Web site for the
BOF at <http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/>. That site has a copy of the
current draft of the SMIME message format document as well as related
materials.

This mailing list serves as the work environment for the BOF (Birds Of a
Feather) group that was first convened at the IETF meeting in San Jose
earlier this month. The idea of the BOF was to create IETF standards for
Internet mail that is secured with S/MIME. Thus, there are three things
this list should do in the short run:
- decide what are the technical issues that need to be addressed
- create a Working Group charter with deliverables and milestones
- create drafts of the technical work

Please note that this mailing list is meant to work like the mailing lists
for full IETF Working Groups. As such, it is *not* a place to discuss SMIME
implementation issues or to ask questions like "who is shipping SMIME
products?". There is, however, another mailing list for that purpose,
"[email-masked]" (subscribe by sending mail to
"[email-masked]" with the message "subscribe"). RSA, the
original creators of S/MIME, also have a Web page with a great deal of
implementation information at <http://www.rsa.com/rsa/S-MIME/>.

So, let's start discussing what to do next!

--Paul E. Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium