Subject: LAST CALL: draft-ietf-smime-cast-128-01.txt

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 11:39:31 -0500

The CAST-128 algorithm specification is ready for Working Group Last 
Call.  Please post comments to the ietf-smime mail list before 23 March 2000.

Russ

= = = = = = = = = =

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the 
IETF.

	Title		: Use of the CAST-128 Encryption Algorithm in CMS
	Author(s)	: C. Adams
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-cast-128-01.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 03-Mar-00
	
This document specifies how to incorporate CAST-128 [RFC2144] into
the S/MIME Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) as an additional
algorithm for symmetric encryption.  The relevant OIDs and processing
steps are provided so that CAST-128 may be included in the CMS
specification [RFC2630] for symmetric content and key encryption.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-cast-128-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-cast-128-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-cast-128-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-cast-128-01.txt

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-cast-128-01.txt>

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:31:06 +0930

I have the following comments on the draft at this stage.  I am sorry for
being late, but I have been on holidays.

1.  In section 3 paragraph 1 -- The size needs to be required for an
SMimeCapablity and cannot be MAY.  We do binary comparisions to see if the
algorithms are the same so there can be no MAY fields.

2.  In section 3 --  Again I ask that you include the actual list of bytes
that are to be used for the SMimeCaps fields.  For an example of what I am
looking for you can look at section 7 of CMSKEA.  Due to the fact that a
binary comparision is being done, it is best to allow for no errors in the
encoding of this field.

Jim Schaad