Subject: Triple Wrapping Survey

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 19:21:17 -0500

I have a few questions for implementors.  First some background, then the 
questions.

The use of S/MIMEv3 Triple Wrapping leads to the incorporation of four MIME 
encodings.  If each of these encodings uses Base64, then the overhead is 
huge.  I am interested in ways to reduce the overhead, hopefully without 
hurting IMAP usability.

1.  Can your implementation handle
	MIME( SignedData (EnvelopedData (SignedData ( MIME ))) ?

The outer SignedData has the OID for EnvelopedData in the content type, not 
id-data.
The EnvelopedData has the OID for SignedData in the content type, not id-data.
The inner Signed Data has the id-data OID in the content type.

2.  Can your implementation handle MIME without Base64 encoding?  I am 
interested in using "binary" instead of Base64 to reduce the overhead.

Russ

---

From: Aram Perez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 09:29:31 -0500

Hi Russ,

I agree that S/MIMEv3 should minimize Base64 encoding when possible. As I
understand MIME, all implementations should handle binary as this is the
default unless otherwise specified.

Regards,
Aram Perez

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ Housley [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2000 7:21 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Triple Wrapping Survey

The outer SignedData has the OID for EnvelopedData in the content type, not 
id-data.
The EnvelopedData has the OID for SignedData in the content type, not
id-data.
The inner Signed Data has the id-data OID in the content type.

Russ

---

From: "Blake Ramsdell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 12:26:58 -0800

I think that the point Russ was making is "can you handle nesting of CMS
objects" not "can you handle nesting of MIME wrapped CMS objects".  In our
case, we can only do MIME wrapped CMS objects, but we can handle binary
encoding of those objects.

Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: Aram Perez [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2000 6:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Triple Wrapping Survey

Hi Russ,

Regards,
Aram Perez

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ Housley [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2000 7:21 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Triple Wrapping Survey

Russ

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 23:18:29 +0800

>default unless otherwise specified.

There are some known existing implemenations which cannot correctly handle the
binary versions.  I do not know any longer how wide spread these versions are.

jim

>interested in using "binary" instead of Base64 to reduce the overhead.
http://www.nwlink.com

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 23:16:43 +0800

Msft versions cannot handle case #1 (I think).

Msft versions can handle case #2 without any problems.

jim schaad

http://www.nwlink.com