Subject: RFC2630: Need clarification

From: Bernd Matthes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 12:37:40 +0100

Hi!
At first a happy new year to all!

I need a clarification to following sentence from RFC 2630,
section 11.4, Countersignature:
"The countersignature attribute must be an unsigned attribute; it
 cannot be a signed attribute, an authenticated attribute, or an
 unauthenticated attribute."

What is the difference between: 
a) signed attribute <-> authenticated attribute
b) unsigned attribute <-> unauthenticated attribute
to relate to CMS?

Where is located a (un)authenticated attribute in an
signed-data CMS?
I thought, it exist as (un)signed attribute in the SignerInfo,
or is this complete beside them?

Thanks in advance
with kind regards
-- 
Mors certa, hora incerta. In dubio pro mille.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernd Matthes                   Celo Communications GmbH
Senior Software Engineer    	Weissenfelser Strasse 46a   
Nachrichtentechniker            D 06217 Merseburg           
Dipl.-Ing.(FH)                  http://www.celocom.com      
  f. technische Informatik      mailto:[email-masked]   
http://www.worldbug.de          Tel.: +49 3461/3318-0       
mailto:[email-masked]      Fax:  +49 3461/415072
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"When in doubt, use brute force." (Ken Thompson)

---

From: Bernd Matthes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 13:55:33 +0100

> section 11.4, Countersignature:
[snipped]

Hi!

Is cleared. 
Thanks to Jim Schaad ( mailto:[email-masked] ).

He wrote:
>Authenticated and Unauthenticated attributes occur in the AuthenticatedData
>structure (section 9).  The statement is just being made that a counter
>signature is not present in the AuthenticatedData structure.