Subject: Re: SignedReceipt

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 14:40:08 -0500

"Dieter:

It simply needs to be a unique identifier of the signed content.  This 
allows the originator of the original message to locate the message when 
the receipt arrives.

Russ

At 04:02 PM 11/28/2002 +0100, Dieter Bratko wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Implementing the ESS Signed Receipt service I would like to tell the
>following question regarding the role of the message originator:
>According to RFC2634 the signedContentIdentifier field should contain
>user-specific identification information (such as a user name or public
>keying material identification information). When creating a receipt the
>signedContentIdentifier is copied from the receiptRequest to the receipt:
>
>Receipt ::= SEQUENCE {
>   version ESSVersion,
>   contentType ContentType,
>   signedContentIdentifier ContentIdentifier,
>   originatorSignatureValue OCTET STRING }
>
>
>
>Is my interpretation right that the user-specific identification information
>implicitly contained in the signedContentIdentifier -- since it has to be
>the same for any receiptRequest attribute of any SignerInfo containing a
>receiptRequest attribute -- refers to the (one and only) message originator
>(sender), but the originatorSignatureValue field holds the signature value
>from the SignerInfo just processed (which not necessarily has to be the
>signerInfo of the originator); and when creating the receipt it does not
>mind which SignerInfo it is based on (the validator must be able to validate
>receipts based on any SignerInfo contained in the original SignedData)?
>
>Regards,
>Dieter Bratko
>
>---------
>Dieter Bratko, <mailto:[email-masked]>
>Institute for Applied Information Processing and Communications (IAIK)
>Graz University of Technology, Inffeldgasse 16a, 8010 Graz, Austria,
>http://jce.iaik.tugraz.at/