Subject: Draft Minutes

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:00:27 -0800

Here are the minutes for the working group meeting in Atlanta.

Minutes for the S/MIME Meeting
IETF 55
November 19, 2002

Agenda:  Russ Housley covered the agenda for the meeting.  No changes were
made.

Working Group Status:  Russ Housley covered the status of the active
documents in the working group.  The documents that have changed status
since the last meeting are:

Published as an RFC:
- RFC 3369 - Cryptographic Message Syntax
- RFC 3370 - Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) Algorithms
- RFC 3394 - Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) Key Wrap Algorithm

RFC Editors Queue:
- There are currently no documents in the RFC Editor Queue

IESG
- CMS Symmetric Key Management and Distribution
- Use of the RSAES-OAEP Transport Algorithm in CMS
- Transporting S/MIME Objects in X.400
- Securing X.400 Content with S/MIME
- Wrapping an HMAC key with a Triple-DES Key or an AES Key

Examples Draft:  Paul Hoffman was unable to be present so Russ presented for
him.  There has been a recent discussion on the list that a triple-wrap
example as defined in ESS (RFC 2634) should be added to the draft.  John
Pawling has volunteered to provide this example.  After it is incorporated
the document, and a few minor edits are made, the Examples Draft should be
ready for working group last call.

X400 Transport and Wrap Drafts:  Chris Bonatti gave the presentation for
these two drafts.  There were some comments from the IESG on the documents,
and some synchronization between the RFC2633bis Draft and X.400 Wrap Draft
was needed.  The IESG comments have been resolved, and the two S/MIME
working documents are now consistent.  The X.400 Transport and Wrap Drafts
are ready for the IESG.  Chris is trying to coordinate a review of the
documents by the ITU-T group responsible for X.400, but this should not stop
the draft from going to Proposed Standard.  Any comments from this group can
be incorporated before going to Draft Standard.

AES Algorithm Draft:  Jim Schaad stated that the document has been modified
to remove the requirement that AES is not to be used with PKCS #1 v1.5.  The
document will be submitted as soon as the repository opens, and then the
chair will make the working group last call.

CMS Interoperability Status:  Jim Schaad stated that advancement has been
made since the last meeting for CMS interoperability.  There are 6 test
cases left to complete interoperability testing.  These test cases deal
with: 1) v2 attribute certificates for SignedData and EnvelopedData; 2)
unrecognized SignerInfo structures; 3) unrecognized RecipientInfo
structures; and 4) version numbering in EnvelopedData for pwri and/or ori
being present as a RecipientInfo.  The v2 attribute certificate test cases
should be finished soon as a bug is found and fixed in one implementation.

There was a discussion dealing with two issues found during interoperability
testing.  The first dealt with the fact that so far no implementations are
known that deal gracefully with unknown RecipientInfo and SignerInfo
structures.  No discussion was generated from the floor.  The second issue
dealt with the fact that there is no MUST statement on handling of detached
as opposed to embedded content.  Both detached content and embedded content
are mandated by the S/MIME message specification (RFC 2633) for SignedData,
and embedded content is mandated for EncryptedData.  Should this be moved
into the CMS draft as well?  No discussion from the floor ensued.

Camellia Draft: KATO Akihiro gave the presentation on the draft for Camellia
to be used as a content encryption algorithm with CMS.  Camellia operations
at the same block and key sizes as AES.  Camellia will use the AES key wrap
algorithm for doing key encryption.  The authors are going to be adding a
section on SMIMECapabilities before the next revision.  Information on
Camellia can be gotten at http//info.isl.ntt.co.jp/camellia.

Message Update Draft:  Blake Ramsdell was unable to make it to the meeting.
Russ presented Blake's slides for him.  The current draft was modified to
deal with allowing for binary transport internally, signing message headers
and using the compression content type.  Following the presentation the
chair stated that the document should be ready to progress and a last call
will be issued shortly.

Certificate Update Draft:  Russ also presented the certificate draft updates
for Blake.  The changes in the last draft are changes to the wording for
email address matching and to deal with the nonRepudiation/digitalSignature
bits in the key usage certificate extension.  There are still some
additional changes are needed to resolve previously submitted comments.
Also, there are some TBA areas in the draft.

IESG status of HMAC Key Wrap draft: Jeff Schiller was asked to give further
information about the current status of the HMAC Key Wrap draft which is
currently stuck at the IESG.  The issue has to do with the fact that the
working group requested publication as an Informational RFC, which for
advancement purposes is really below Proposed Standard for purposes of
advancement.  Thus any document that relied on it could not go forward.
Russ said that this has been historically what has been done by this working
group; document describing algorithms are informational, while documents
describing how to use the algorithms are standards track.  Jeff is going to
attempt to get the problem solved on a basic level, however the working
group granted permission to move the document to standards track if it
appears that solving the basic problem is going to take too long.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 16:58:16 -0500

If anyone has comments on the minutes that were posted by Jim Schaad, 
please send a message to the list by Tuesday, 10 December.  The Minutes are 
due to the IETF Secretariat soon.

Thanks,
   Russ