Subject: Draft Meeting Minutes

From: "Sean P. Turner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:35:16 -0400

Please provide feedback by August 1st.

-------------

Here are the draft minutes from the Austria meeting.

Minutes for S/MIME Meeting

IETF 57

July 14, 2003

Agenda: Sean Turner covered the agenda for the meeting. No changes were made.

Working Group Status: Sean Turner covered the status of the active documents
in the working group. The documents that have changed status since the last
meeting are:

Published as RFC:

- 3395 Implementing Company Classification Policy with S/MIME Security Label.

- 3537 Wrapping a Hashed Message Authentication Code (HMAC) key with Triple-Data
Encryption Standard (DES) Key or an Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) Keys.

RFC Editor Queue:

- aes-alg Use of the AES Encryption Algorithm in CMS.

- cms-rsaes-oaep Use of RSAE-OAEP Key Transport Algorithm in CMS.

With IESG:

- Camellia Use of Camellia Encryption Algorithm in CMS.

CMS and ESS Examples Draft: Paul Hoffman explained that new examples have
been added to the –11 draft, all of which need to be verified. After verification
by all, a new -12 will be issued and the ADs will be asked to issue an IETF
last call.

MSGbis and CERTbis: Sean Turner presented Blake Ramsdell's presentation.
In MSGbis minor edits were included, id-dsa was changed to id-dsa-with-sha1,
and AES was made a SHOULD. MSGbis is ready for an IETF last call.  In CERTbis
text is still needed for acknowlegements and a summary of changes to the
draft. There was an issue as to whether smime-types for every know CMS type
should be included in the document. It was decided that the smime-types currently
in the draft will remain but any new ones will be placed in new drafts so
as to not hold up MSGbis.

X400WRAP and X400TRANS: Chris Bonatti explained that changes similar to those
in MSGbis were also made to X400WRAP - id-dsa was changed to id-dsa-with-sha1,
and AES was made a SHOULD. In X400TRANS, the security considerations section
was updated, as a result of IESG comments, to indicate that no new security
concerns are added other than those in CMS or S/MIME models. It is believed
that both documents are now ready for IETF last call.

Interoperability Matrix: Jim Schaad indicated that the tests for both SignedData
and EncryptedData are complete and that only the final write-up is required.
The only remaining issues are with the Key Derivation Algorithm - PBKDF2
and the Message Authentication Code Algorithm - HMAC with SHA-1 neither of
which were tested will result in blocking the draft.

RSA KEM: Jim Schaad presented an overview of the RSA KEM algorithm. The remaining
issues to complete the draft are defining matching rules for usage, SMIMECapabilities
attribute values, and a single ASN.1 module.

RSA PSS: Jim Schaad presented an overview of the RSA PSS algorithm. The requirements
for the parameters H1 (digest hash algorithm parameters) and H2 (internal
hash algorithm parameters) SHOULD be the same, while H2 and H3 (message generation
function hash algorithm parameters) are RECOMMENDED to be the same. The resolved
outstanding issues are that the key identifier and signature identifier will
be the same OID and that PSS parameter comparison MUST be done if they are
present in the certificate. It is believed that his draft is ready for WG
last call.

ESSbis: Jim Schaad presented updates to ESS which included splitting the
MLExpansionHistory attribute in to two new attributes - Receipt Behavior
and ML Loop Detection. The work required to rewrite the processing rules
is proving more difficult that originally thought. Jim also indicated that
there were outstanding issues on the list that deal with nested cases for
receipt processing and MLA attribute propagation.

GOST Algorithm: Grigory Chudov presented the Russian national algorithm GOST
and an individual submission explaining how CMS can be used with GOST. The
WG agreed to publish the draft under the WG banner.

OpenEvidence Project and ESS: Peter Sylvester explained a usage of the technology
developed in the OpenEvidence project, an open source projects financed by
the European commission and run by a small group of European companies. A
useful application of the technology addresses the problem to make email
more reliable by using a third party security infrastructure to provide more
traceability for users, service providers, and organizations. The tools developed
were based on existing standards, i.e., SMIME signed receipts and RFC 3029.
Two of the outputs of the project are the realization that there are few
toolkits to provide support for ESS and that the ASN.1, which is 88 based,
is problematic for new compilers. (A more detailed presentation of OpenEvidence
project has been made in the PKIX wg).

NIST S/MIME Tester: Tim Polk discussed the NIST online S/MIME tester that
is intended to test the conformance of S/MIME implementations to the NIST
S/MIME profile. More information can be found at: http://csrc.nist.gov/pki/smime/smtest.htm.