Subject: RE: Signed Receipts and Mail Lists

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:08:39 -0400

Graeme:

> > When we designed the MLA mechanism, we assumed that each mail
> > list would have a separate key pair and certificate.  I do not
> > think that this is an unreasonable assumption.  Today, Web servers
> > that support more than one site have a certificate for each of the
> > sites.
>
>I had reached this conclusion on further reading of 2634. Whilst being
>able to use a single certificate (and ACs for example) for hundreds of
>lists would be useful, it is not a major concern at the moment.
>
>My main issue was to have a mechanism to indicate on whose behalf of
>whom a signed receipt was generated (e.g. in the case of an "All"
>request from  a ML).
>Either a specific field in the Receipt structure, or just an extension
>mechanism (which may be more generally useful).

I do not know if an update to RFC 2634 is planned.  I do not see it on the 
S/MIME WG charter.

Russ