Subject: RE: Determining if a message has multiple layers without processing any of them

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:37:59 -0400

Darrell:

Please take a look at RFC 2634, section 2.9.  The outer-most CMS wrapper 
should tell what content type is contained in the inner-most wrapper.  Does 
this help, even though it is much delayed?

Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 7:43 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Determining if a message has multiple layers without processing 
any of them

Hello,

I am currently attempting to determine if there is anything in the S/MIME 
standard that would allow me to determine if a message was, for example, 
signed then encrypted, without processing any of the security layers.

My understanding of the smime-type parameter is that it only applies to the 
current layer of security, so for example, a message that was signed and 
then encrypted will have an outer smime-type of enveloped-data with no clue 
that there is a signature layer within.

Any insight into this is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Darrell