Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:44:17 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)
	Author(s)	: R. Housley
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-01.txt
	Pages		: 55
	Date		: 2004-3-22
	
This document describes the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS).  This
syntax is used to digitally sign, digest, authenticate, or encrypt
arbitrary message content.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:32:32 -0800

1. Section 5.1, para version:  Grammer issue  s/certificates is
present/certificates are present/

2.  Section 5.1, para version: Correct  to the beginning of the if clauses
should be
	IF (any certificates with a type of other are present) OR
         (any crls with a type of other are present)
      THEN version MUST be 5.

	The other two clauses add nothing to the text.

3.  Section 5.3:  Consider the following text.

      When generating a SignerIdentifier,
      implementations MAY support one of the forms (either
      issuerAndSerialNumber or subjectKeyIdentifier) and always use it,
      or implementations MAY arbitrarily mix the two forms.

	I think that it might need to be updated for dealing with OTHER, but
I don't know what to really say about that.

4.  Section 6.2.1, para 'rid': s/signer's/recipient's/

5.  Section 6.2.2, para 'originator':  s/thereby the sender's public key,
a/thereby the sender's public key, by a/

Jim

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:35:02 -0500

Jim:

Thanks for the continuing quality review.

>present/certificates are present/

I consider this to be short for: if the certificates field is present, then ...

Since the name of the field is plural, it does lead to an awkward read, but 
I think it is okay.

>         The other two clauses add nothing to the text.

This is the way we did it in the past:

    IF (certificates is present) AND
       (any version 2 attribute certificates are present)
    THEN version MUST be 4

We say: if the field is present and that field contains the new thing, then 
....

>I don't know what to really say about that.

I added: "However, subjectKeyIdentifier MUST be used to refer to a public 
key contained in a non-X.509 certificate."

Does that address your concern?

>4.  Section 6.2.1, para 'rid': s/signer's/recipient's/

Good catch.  It will be fixed in version -02.

>a/thereby the sender's public key, by a/

Good catch.  It will be fixed in version -02.

Russ