Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:00:34 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)
	Author(s)	: R. Housley
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-00.txt
	Pages		: 53
	Date		: 2004-3-16
	
This document describes the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS).  This
   syntax is used to digitally sign, digest, authenticate, or encrypt
   arbitrary message content.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:58:49 -0500

Dear S/MIME WG:

Yes, we are making another round of updates to CMS.  I expect them to be 
very minor.  The changes are described in Section 1.2, which says:

    This document obsoletes RFC 3369 [CMS2].  As discussed above, RFC
    3369 introduced an extension mechanism to support new key management
    schemes without further changes to the CMS.  This document introduces
    a similar extension mechanism to support additional certificate
    formats for the verification of digital signatures without further
    changes to the CMS.  Backward compatibility with both RFC 2630 and
    RFC 3369 is preserved.

I expect to fold in all of the changes needed to correct the errata posted 
on the RFC Editor's web site in the next version.  Also, Peter Gutmann has 
asked for some clarification of countersignature.  Finally, Jim Schaad has 
suggested that support for "other format" revocation status information is 
appropriate since "other format" certificates are being supported.

I do not expect these changes to take long.  I will post -01 before the end 
of the week.

Russ

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:59:09 -0800

At 4:58 PM -0500 3/16/04, Russ Housley wrote:
>Dear S/MIME WG:
>
>Yes, we are making another round of updates to CMS.  I expect them 
>to be very minor.  The changes are described in Section 1.2, which 
>says:
>

Maybe I'm being blind, but *where* is that extension mechanism 
introduced in the new document? Listing it explicitly in this 
introductory material would help the reader (or at least me...).

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: Dr Stephen Henson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 01:19:09 +0000

Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

>> Yes, we are making another round of updates to CMS.  I expect them to 
>> be very minor.  The changes are described in Section 1.2, which says:
>>

Presumably the CertificateChoices type mentioned in 10.2.2 and its use 
in CertificateSet.

Steve.

-- 
Dr Stephen N. Henson.
Core developer of the   OpenSSL project: http://www.openssl.org/
Freelance consultant see: http://www.drh-consultancy.co.uk/
Email: [email-masked], PGP key: via homepage.

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:54:40 -0800

Steve is correct.  The change was made by adding the OtherCertFormat data
type to section 10.2.2.

However I think that it is easier for people to find if the section number
is included in the changes section.

jim 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Dr Stephen Henson
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 5:19 PM
To: Paul Hoffman / IMC
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-00.txt

> introductory material would help the reader (or at least me...).

Presumably the CertificateChoices type mentioned in 10.2.2 and its use in
CertificateSet.

Steve.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:01:36 -0500

Paul:

Se section 10.2.2.

Russ

At 04:59 PM 3/16/2004 -0800, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
>Maybe I'm being blind, but *where* is that extension mechanism introduced 
>in the new document? Listing it explicitly in this introductory material 
>would help the reader (or at least me...).
>
>--Paul Hoffman, Director