Subject: Strawman for SHA-256 in S/MIME

From: Blake Ramsdell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:13:00 -0700

I have submitted a personal draft -- draft-ramsdell-smime-sha256 to  
address what I believe is consensus in the WG about this issue. There  
are some holes that need to be filled (specifically references for  
the exact threat, and guidance text for the use of the algorithm),  
and we need to decide on a final form (do we revise RFC3850 and  
RFC3851 or do we publish an errata document).

The boilerplate for RFCs dwarfs the actual content -- it's pretty  
simple stuff. When it pops out in the repository I will mention it on  
the mailing list.

Blake
--
Blake Ramsdell | Sendmail, Inc. | http://www.sendmail.com

---

From: Blake Ramsdell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:19:45 -0700

On Oct 17, 2005, at 12:13 PM, Blake Ramsdell wrote:
> simple stuff. When it pops out in the repository I will mention it  
> on the mailing list.

         Title           : Use of the SHA-256 algorithm in S/MIME
         Author(s)       : B. Ramsdell
         Filename        : draft-ramsdell-smime-sha256-00.txt
         Pages           : 9
         Date            : 2005-10-19

    This document describes the integration of the SHA-256 cryptographic
    digest algorithm with S/MIME.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ramsdell-smime-sha256-00.txt

Blake