Subject: FW: I-D Action:draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc-00.txt

From: "Turner, Sean P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:50:51 -0500

The following draft was produced by Peter as a result of a thread on the
S/MIME list from about a year ago. The draft specifies how to use
Authenticated-Enveloped-Data type with HMAC. Since it has been a year I'd
like to gauge interest in adopting the draft in the WG. I for one think we
should address it in S/MIME.

spt

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 5:00 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc-00.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Using HMAC-authenticated Encryption in the
Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)
	Author(s)       : P. Gutmann
	Filename        : draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2007-12-10

This document specifies the conventions for using HMAC-authenticated
encryption with the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) authenticated-
enveloped-data content type.  This mirrors the use of HMAC combined with an
encryption algorithm that's already employed in IPsec, SSL/ TLS, and SSH,
which is widely supported in existing crypto libraries and hardware, and has
been extensively analysed by the crypto community.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in, type
"cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc-00.txt