Subject: [Fwd: Fwd: RFC 5378 and Draft Submissions]

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 00:08:59 -0500

IETF Chair Russ Housley has asked WG chairs to apprise their WGs of the 
  following information.

If you've been following the IETF mailing list, you may be aware of the 
ongoing discussion about the impact of RFC 5378 on revised draft 
submissions. Briefly, RFC 5378 requires Contributors to grant a more 
expansive set of rights than were granted by RFC 3978, and 4748. If you 
are submitting a document which contains text contributed by others 
prior to the publication of RFC 5378 you may need to obtain additional 
rights from the copyright holders of that text in order to contribute 
under the 5378 terms.

The IESG and the IETF Trustees are working to resolve those issues
(see
http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/Background-to-Draft-Update-to-IETF-Trust-Legal-Provisions.txt).
However, at present I would advise care prior to submitting any draft 
which contains material derived from an RFC, draft, or mailing list 
message published prior to November 10, 2008.

Please take any general discussion of RFC 5378 to [email-masked]

spt
[As WG Chair]

PS I copied most of ekr's message.