Subject: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-smime-new-asn1-02

From: Blake Ramsdell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:00:33 -0800

This message initiates an SMIME Working Group Last Call on the document:

	Title           : New ASN.1 Modules for CMS and S/MIME
	Author(s)       : P. Hoffman, J. Schaad
	Filename        : draft-ietf-smime-new-asn1-02.txt
	Pages           : 61
	Date            : 2009-01-09

The Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) format, and many associated
formats, are expressed using ASN.1.  The current ASN.1 modules
conform to the 1988 version of ASN.1.  This document updates those
ASN.1 modules to conform to the 2002 version of ASN.1.  There are no
bits-on-the-wire changes to any of the formats; this is simply a
change to the syntax.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-new-asn1-02.txt

The purpose of this WG Last Call is to ensure that the Working Group has
achieved consensus that the document is suitable for publication as a
Standards Track RFC.

Please review the document for both technical and editorial problems.
Technical issues should be discussed on this list. Editorial issues may be
sent to the document editor.

The Last Call period will end on 30 January 2009.

Upon completion of the last call, the WG chairs will take action based upon
the consensus of the WG. Possible actions include:

    1) recommending to the IETF Security Area Directors
       that the document, after possible editorial or
       other minor changes, be considered by the IESG
       for publication as an Informational RFC
       (which generally involves an IETF-wide Last Call); or

    2) requiring that outstanding issues be adequately
       addressed prior to further action (including,
       possibly, another WG Last Call).

Remember that it is our responsibility as Working Group members to ensure
the quality of our documents and of the Internet Standards process.  So,
please read and comment!

Blake
-- 
Blake Ramsdell | http://www.blakeramsdell.com