Subject: [smime] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5754 (2025)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 17:05:51 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5754,
"Using SHA2 Algorithms with Cryptographic Message Syntax".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5754&eid=2025

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Alfred Hoenes <[email-masked]>

Section: 2.4, pg. 6

Original Text
-------------
2.4.  SHA-512

   [...]

|  The SMIMECapabilities attribute value indicates support for SHA-384
   in a SEQUENCE with the capabilityID field containing the object
|  identifier id-sha384 with absent parameters.  The DER encoding for
   this SMIMECapability value is:

      id-sha512: 30 0b 06 09 60 86 48 01 65 03 04 02 03

Corrected Text
--------------
2.4.  SHA-512

   [...]

|  The SMIMECapabilities attribute value indicates support for SHA-512
   in a SEQUENCE with the capabilityID field containing the object
|  identifier id-sha512 with absent parameters.  The DER encoding for
   this SMIMECapability value is:

      id-sha512: 30 0b 06 09 60 86 48 01 65 03 04 02 03

Notes
-----
Rationale: Undetected copy&paste error, but significant
   (therefore classified as Technical)

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5754 (draft-ietf-smime-sha2-11)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Using SHA2 Algorithms with Cryptographic Message Syntax
Publication Date    : January 2010
Author(s)           : S. Turner
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : S/MIME Mail Security
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG