Subject: [smime] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5751 (2143)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 18:03:54 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5751,
"Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 3.2 Message Specification".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5751&eid=2143

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Jim Schaad <[email-masked]>

Section: 3.2.2

Original Text
-------------
      Name                   CMS Type                Inner Content
      enveloped-data         EnvelopedData           id-data
      signed-data            SignedData              id-data
      certs-only             SignedData              none
      compressed-data        CompressedData          id-data

Corrected Text
--------------
      Name                   CMS Type                Inner Content
      enveloped-data         EnvelopedData           id-data
      signed-data            SignedData              id-data
      certs-only             SignedData              id-data
      compressed-data        CompressedData          id-data

Notes
-----
The inner content type is not an optional field.  Some inner content type MUST be included, id-data is the correct inner content type to be specified.

The balance of the required information is in section 3.7.  It is possible that the fact that id-data is used as the encapsulated content type should be added to the section Step 1 in 3.7

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5751 (draft-ietf-smime-3851bis-11)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 3.2 Message Specification
Publication Date    : January 2010
Author(s)           : B. Ramsdell, S. Turner
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : S/MIME Mail Security
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG