Subject: [smime] Fwd: RFC 6025 on ASN.1 Translation

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 19:15:52 -0700

Of as much interest here as on PKIX.

--Paul Hoffman

>A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.
>
>       
>        RFC 6025
>
>        Title:      ASN.1 Translation
>        Author:     C. Wallace, C. Gardiner
>        Status:     Informational
>        Stream:     IETF
>        Date:       October 2010
>        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
>                    [email-masked]
>        Pages:      19
>        Characters: 39221
>        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None
>
>        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pkix-asn1-translation-03.txt
>
>        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6025.txt
>
>Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1) is widely used throughout the
>IETF Security Area and has been for many years.  Some specifications
>were written using a now deprecated version of ASN.1 and some were
>written using the current version of ASN.1.  Not all ASN.1 compilers
>support both older and current syntax.  This document is intended to
>provide guidance to specification authors and to implementers
>converting ASN.1 modules from one version of ASN.1 to another version
>without causing changes to the "bits on the wire".  This document
>does not provide a comprehensive tutorial of any version of ASN.1.
>Instead, it addresses ASN.1 features that are used in IETF Security
>Area specifications with a focus on items that vary with the ASN.1
>version.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track
>specification; it is published for informational purposes.
>
>This document is a product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.
>
>
>INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
>It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
>this memo is unlimited.
>