Subject: [smime] WG Action: Conclusion of S/MIME Mail Security (smime)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:29:48 -0700 (PDT)

The S/MIME Mail Security (smime) working group in the Security Area has
concluded. The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Sean Turner.

The smime working group has completed its charter items, and is
officially closing. The mailing list will be retained for future
discussions involving s/mime and the cryptographic message syntax.

The smime working group was primarily focused on the Secure Mime Version
3 and supporting syntax/encoding documents. The working group published
fifty two RFCs, including the Cryptographic Message Syntax (RFC 5652), and
the Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 3.2
message handling and Certificate handling specifications Specification
(RFCs 5751 and 5750). I would like to note that 5652 is a full standard,
which is a rare accomplishment.

A further indication of the wg's success are the many IETF publications
that reference smime RFCs. They are too numerous to list, but IETF working
groups that have built upon smime publications include sip, pkix, and
sidr.

I would like to thank all of the IETF participants who have contributed
to the various documents produced by the smime working group and to the
successful completion of these important deliverables. We especially thank
Russ Housley, Sean Turner, Blake Ramsdell, and Paul Hoffman who have
chaired the working group at various times since its formation, and the
many document editors.

I would also like to recognize RSA Laboratories, which contributed the
original base specifications and transferred change control to the IETF.
The RFCs 2311, 2312, and 2315 document RSA's contributions.

The smime mailing list will remain open and the list archive will be
retained.

-Tim Polk