Subject: snmpconf Free Script MIB Implementation

From: Frank Strauss <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Oct 2000 15:38:56 +0200

An open-source implementation of the Script MIB (RFC 2592) and an
AgentX sub-agent toolkit (RFC 2741) are available at the Jasmin home
page http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/jasmin/ under the GNU General
Public License.

The Jasmin (JAva Script Mib ImplementatioN) project is a collaboration
of the Technical University Braunschweig (http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/)
and the C&C Research Laboratories of NEC Europe Ltd.
(http://www.ccrle.nec.de/).

The Jasmin software distribtion includes 
  - an implementation of the Script MIB according to RFC 2592
    with a Java runtime engine,
  - a selection of demonstration scripts,
  - a Java package called `scriptmib' supporting the development of
    manager applications for the Script MIB,
  - Smurf, a graphical user interface to the Script MIB,
  - JAX, a Java package for building AgentX sub-agents.

The Script MIB is implemented as a loadable module for the UCD-SNMP
4.2 agent (http://ucd-snmp.ucdavis.edu/). It supports all managed
objects of RFC 2592 except for the code table.

Scripts can be written in Java (JDK 1.1.X). Furter runtime environments
for Perl and Tcl are under development. Runtime environments are linked
by the SMX protocol (RFC2593).

Each demonstration script demonstrates a different feature of the
implementation, such as receiving arguments, returning results, or
sending asynchronous notifications.

The scriptmib Java package provides an API to the Script MIB, that can
be used by management applications. It simplifies many common actions
on the Script MIB. For example, by a single method call, a script is
installed, an argument is passed, the script is started and its result
is returned.

Smurf, the Script Mib User inteRFace, is a graphical interface for
browsing and editing managed objects of the Script MIB. It can
establish connections to several runnning Script MIB implementations.

The JAX package consists of a Java class library for scripts which
allows them to dynamically extend the SNMP agent by new MIB objects
using the AgentX protocol (RFC 2741). The MIB implementing code can be
built based on the output of a libsmi-based JAX MIB compiler. The JAX
package is useful for distributed management script as well as other
agent extension environments.

Further documentation of the Jasmin software distribution and several
related documents are available at the Jasmin home page.

-- 
Frank Strauss                                           [email-masked]
Technical University Braunschweig          http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~strauss/
Institute of Operating Systems & Computer Networks      Phone: +49 531 391-3266
Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany             Fax: +49 531 391-5936