Subject: snmpconf Bulk data transfer MIB?

From: "Susan Gray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:43:59 -0400

Hi,

I need a protocol independent bulk data transfer MIB to use in
transferring large data files between SNMP-managed nodes. The
MIB would contain such information as the name, size and server
address of the file to be transferred, whether it is being
retrieved or transmitted, checksum information and possibly
encryption information. Does anyone know of a MIB that has
already been defined that fits this description? 

If there is a more appropriate working group to post this to 
please let me know that as well.

Thanks!
Susan Gray

---

From: "Steve Jackowski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:38:59 -0700

Hi Susan,

snmpconf is not the right WG for this request as it is focused on policy
management.  In fact, I really can't think of a WG WG on file transfer.
There are a number of drafts and 'experimental' RFCs about file
distribution, and a few companies have focused on this, but I can't think of
many who have survived - Starburst Communications (www.starburstcom.com) did
large-scale multicast file transfer and had MIBs for management, but they
were acquired and subsumed by Adero.  Our new parent company uses Starburst,
but will be developing its own file management software now that Starburst's
products are unavailable.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.  Of course you could always define and
register your own MIB, even if you're using and off-the-shelf file transfer
product...

Steve
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steve Jackowski
President/CEO
Deterministic Networks, Inc.
1341 Pacific Avenue
Santa Cruz, Ca 95060

Office: (831) 421-0388 x18
Home office: (831) 426-4001 (also Hedgehog Books)
Mobile: (408) 813-6294
Fax: (831) 421-0394
www.DeterministicNetworks.com

---

From: Mike MacFaden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:10:27 -0700

At 02:38 PM 10/12/00 -0700, Steve Jackowski wrote:
>management. 

Steve, Susan:

There is the BCP in this working group which would be appropriate to document
what the best current practice is. I would like to document some best current
practice wrt moving large amounts of data as folks are doing it.

For example, the Apple Airport product (aka karlbridge) appears to move
bulk data over snmp when I put a sniffer on the wire during configuration

Also the ipsec folks have a similar problem, see their mailing list archive.

Lastly, take a look at the IRTF web site. They are doing the research
which includes snmp over tcp so you get flow control, etc.

Without knowing more about what the requirements are, it would be difficult
to make any recommendations. 

Regards,
Mike MacFaden
www.riverstonenet.com

---

From: David Harrington <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 23:23:13 -0400

Hi Susan,

As co-chair of the SNMPv3 WG, I can advise you that the SNMPv3 WG has
reviewed a number of proposals for Bulk Transfer, including MIBs, so
that is a good place to discuss alternatives.

The SNMPv3 working group does not plan to pursue Bulk Transfer, since
they are focused on getting SNMPv3 to standard. The Area Director has
not yet announced which working group will handle this.

I suggest you check the proceedings for the SNMPv3 WG from the last
meeting, including the presentations. That will give you a partial
overview of the field. (see www.ietf.org)

The most advanced proposals (IETF-wise) are RFC2592, RFC2512, and
RFC2513. 

RFC2592 is the DISMAN Script MIB which includes both a push approach,
which uses SNMP to transfer files, and a pull approach that allows you
to use FTP or HTTP to tranfer a file identified using SNMP. The Script
MIB has a WG that is working for its advancement.

RFCs 2512 and 2513 describe using FTP as a mechanism for tranferring
large amounts of accounting information. No WG is working to advance
this document at this time.

Hope this helps,
dbh

-- 
---
David Harrington            Network Management Standards Architect
[email-masked]           Office of the CTO
+1 603 337 2614 - voice     Enterasys Networks
+1 603 332 1524 - fax       Rochester NH, USA