Subject: RE: snmpconf FW: MIBs for events and notification logging

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:37:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: snmpconf FW: MIBs for events and notification logging
> Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:47:22 +0200
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> 
> The idea of my email was more to stimulate the WG
> to try and address the issue of persistence of
> configuration data and event data.
> 
> If the MIB that is out of the DISMAN WG is no good,
> then that topic should be discussed in the DISMAN WG.
> 
> Or so I think.
...

I would think so, too, but I'd be happy just to find out
what these problems are.  There have been multiple requests,
both on the disman list and in person, for folks to identify
any specific problems.  So far, we know that there is one
redundant object in the Log MIB.  There has been discussion
about whether different index structures might provide better
retrieval performance.

So, at the risk of sounding like a broken record: if you
have technical issues with RFC 3014, please bring them
to the disman WG mailing list.  Meaningful input and
specific proposals are welcome.

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:10:52 -0700 (PDT)

HI,

Randy - I could create a replacement MIB definition for the
the LOG MIB and do a side by side comparison. However, that
is not how the IETF works. It is based on implementation
and not paper analysis. So, I'm offering to prepare an
implementation report if vendors or users will provide me
with the name of the version of the software and hardware that
implements the LOG MIB. I have access to some equipment,
but not all. So for the equipment/software that I don't
have access, I may need to have some assistance.

By the way, the LOG MIB was designed to be used in two very
different environments - a mid-level manager and a "simple"
SNMP-managed device. Would like to get information on both
types of implementations.

> specific proposals are welcome.

Regards,
/david t. perkins

---

From: Jon Saperia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 08:41:08 -0400

My view is that while DISMAN might be a great place to talk about some
of this part of the problem pointed to is alarm persistence on a simple
managed device. If we have decided that to support alarm persistence one
has to implement the alarm MIB I am afraid this might be too big a
hammer for some vendors and they will do their own thing.

/jon
>  Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San Josi, California 95131  USA

Thanks,
/jon
--

Jon Saperia		     [email-masked]
			     Phone: 617-744-1079
			     Fax:   617-249-0874
			     http://www.jdscons.com/