Subject: [Softwires] draft-ietf-softwire-problem-statement-02 comments

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 10:49:32 -0500

Since the WGLC on this draft ends on June 14, and it's been really, really 
quiet on the mailing list, I'd like to poke on two points Pekka mentioned to 
me as I was sending in version 02:

>>> 3) the charter does not include writing BCPs on SW architectures and
>>> interactions, so this needs rewording.  I'm not sure if such is even 
>>> needed
>>> -- folks seem to have been able to deploy scalable L2TP deployments 
>>> without
>>> much IETF guidance...:
>>>
>>>    Softwire concentrator functionality will be based on existing
>>>    standards for tunneling, prefixes and addresses allocation,
>>>    management.  The working group must define Best Current Practices for
>>>    Softwires Concentrator architecture and interaction between these
>>>    protocols and recommend profiles.
>
> I'm thinking whether the change is good enough or not.. because the 
> charter as currently written doesn't have any items on softwires 
> architecture either (even if it wasn't BCP).
>
> Maybe you should ask the chairs explicitly about this?

Pekka's first comment (as I understand correctly) is about the way we 
characterize what Softwires WG is actually chartered to do in Section 2.6, 
which does not include defining an Softwires Concentrator architecture. 
Would anyone (Alain and David, but invitation is open to others) like to 
suggest text here? Current text in 02, Section 2.6 is

   The working group must define a Softwires Concentrator
   architecture and interaction between these protocols and recommend
   profiles.

Also, from Section 2.12:

>>> 4) I still don't believe that it's a MUST to have both an end-point and
>>> path-failure detection.  Should one of these be a MAY or SHOULD?
>>>
>>>    - End-point failure detection (the detection mechanism must operate
>>>    within the tunnel)
>>>
>>>    - Path failure detection (the detection mechanism must operate
>>>    outside the tunnel)

Do people think these are both musts?

Thanks for your thoughts on both of these points.

Spencer 

_______________________________________________
Softwires mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires