Subject: [Softwires] Softwires tunnel endpoints.

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:43:02 -0700

One question for Softwires is how clients become configured to
participate.

The obvious question of course being the address of the tunnel.  This
is simply solved with a DHCPv6 option, I don't see a draft yet, so
I've gone ahead and written up a quick one;

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dhankins-softwire-tunnel-option-01.txt

What I consider to be open questions are whether the presence or
absence of this option in a DHCPv6 reply are sufficient cause to
enable or disable Softwire support in the client.

That is; ideally you'd want a client to either use a native IPv4
address, its softwires tunnel, or neither (native IPv6).  Both is
kind of an odd thing to want, I think?

So my thinking is that if the softwires option is present, then that
is a signal to tear down or stop the IPv4 stack, if any, and to engage
in softwires only.

-- 
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/
-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		     you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.		-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
Softwires mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires