Subject: [Softwires] DHCPv6 options for 4rd and related technologies

From: Tomasz Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 20:44:05 -1000

Dear group,
I'd like to bring up to your attention a draft that defines way to
configure 4rd over DHCPv6:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mrugalski-dhc-dhcpv6-4rd/

This draft was written in July 2011. Quite a lot happened since then, so
it is a bit outdated. This draft was written with intent to be adopted
in DHC WG, but it now seems that 4rd will find its home in Softwires. If
Softwires WG is interested in this work, I will update this draft to
reflect recent changes (e.g. references to new documents, comments from
4rd authors received during Quebec meeting, possibly extend scope to
both encapsulation and translation) and upload it under changed name
(-softwire- instead of -dhc-). I'd like to do it some time after interim
meeting, so updated version will reflect decisions that were made during
the meeting.

This draft as it was written in July is about 4rd only, but it seems
that its scope could be widened to other similar mechanisms. One
addition that was proposed by various readers is an option that defines
transport mechanism (translation or encapsulation). I'm currently on
vacation, but I will review latest developments once I get back home in
early October.

I would also make it clear that this draft is intended to follow specs
of 4rd and related technologies, not propose yet another alternative.

Good luck with the interim meeting,
Tomek Mrugalski