Subject: [Softwires] Softwire interim meeting preliminary agenda

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 18:00:07 -0700

Softwire interim meeting preliminary agenda @ Beijing, 2011/09/26-27

Participants are expected to have read all the drafts that will be discussed

Day 1: Sept. 26th
1) Intro, logistic
   taxonomy, problem space:  (stateful/stateless, translation/tunneling, etc. …)
   Starting point: operator-driven Stateless motivation draft and the 4-quadrant discussion at Quebec IETF
   Goal: have a common terminology
   30min to 1h

2) Deep dive
   Technical dive in all proposal as they stand today
   Goal: understand the various proposals according to the common terminology and how they fit in the problem space
   Goal2: Refine terminology/problem space as we go
   6 hours: time distributed among the requested presentations (see below for list of currently requested presentations)

Day 2: Sept. 27th
3) Divide & conquer: map technologies into problem space
   Goal: analyze overlaps & differences
   2 hours

4) Path forward
   Goal: evolution of technologies, integration with existing mechanism, gap analysis
   Goal: winnow down list of candidates

   5 hours

5) Invited talks by the operators (optionally, maybe during dinner/lunch)

Time slot requested (for session 2)
order and timing TBD
No.

Name

I-D

Scheduled

1.

X. Deng

1. Architectural considerations of Stateless A+P with a focus on SMAP
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-behave-ipv6-portrange-04
2. DHCPv6 Options for Shared IP Addresses Solutions
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-dhcpv6-shared-address-option-00

2.

Peng Wu

DHCPv4 over IPv6
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cui-softwire-dhcp-over-tunnel/

3.

Naoki Matsuhira

Motivation for developing SA46T and SA46T-AS
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsuhira-sa46t-motivation-00
SA46T & SA46T-AS technology dive
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsuhira-sa46t-spec-02
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsuhira-sa46t-as-00

4.

Tetsuya Murakami

IPv4 Residual Deployment on IPv6 infrastructure - protocol specification
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-murakami-softwire-4rd-00

5.

Jacni Qin

Stateless Address Mapping for IPv4 Residual Deployment (4rd)
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-despres-softwire-4rd-addmapping-00

6.

Wojciech Dec

1. Stateless 4Via6 Address Sharing
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dec-stateless-4v6
2. Stateless port mapping algorithms overview

7.

Qiong Sun

Lightweight 4over6
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cui-softwire-b4-translated-ds-lite-01

8.

Xing Li

1. dIVI-pd: Dual-Stateless IPv4/IPv6 Translation with Prefix Delegation
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-xli-behave-divi-pd/
2. dIVI: Dual-Stateless IPv4/IPv6 Translation
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-xli-behave-divi/

9.

Gang Chen

1. 4via6 Stateless Translation
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-murakami-softwire-4v6-translation-00
2. Prefix Delegation in 4V6
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chen-softwire-4v6-pd-00.txt

Notes: the meeting will focus on stateful/stateless. We will not cover other topics such as MIBs/Multicast/6rd

---

From: Wojciech Dec <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:35:02 +0200

Hello Alain,

I have some concerns regarding the proposed agenda:  There appear to be two
major classes of topics to be discussed A) The translate/encap approaches B)
The details of indexing algorithms, mapping, etc. Item B) deals in very
specific technical details - many of which we likely will spend time
discussing well beyond this meeting.
In contrast item A) deals with a different breed and higher level technical
detail (translate, encap) and moreover a good deal of SP operational
considerations. Having the technical deep dive on day 1 seems to be ok for
B, but less so for arriving at understanding A). IMO we would be better
served by understanding the motivation behind the approaches, and then the
technical detail of each. To do that, we would need the agenda to reflect
the motivations and the technical detail separately.

Regards,
Woj.

On 8 September 2011 03:00, Alain Durand <[email-masked]> wrote:

>   Goal: understand the various proposals according to the common
> terminology and how they fit in the problem space
>   6 hours: time distributed among the requested presentations (see below
> for list of currently requested presentations)
>
>
> Day 2: Sept. 27th
> _______________________________________________
> Softwires mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires
>

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:03:06 +0800

Dear Chairs,

As one people who has been working on the comparision between encapsulation
and translation for some time.
I would like to request a time slot to present our analysis.

Thanks for your consideration

-Hui

2011/9/8 Alain Durand <[email-masked]>

---

From: Satoru Matsushima <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:50:22 +0900

Dear chairs,

I'd like to present an operator's view, address mapping in particular with our cases.

Best regards,
--satoru

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 21:56:58 -0700

Ok, please send slides before Sunday night.

Alain

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 22, 2011, at 6:03 PM, "Hui Deng" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Dear Chairs,

As one people who has been working on the comparision between encapsulation and translation for some time.
I would like to request a time slot to present our analysis.

-Hui

2011/9/8 Alain Durand <<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Softwire interim meeting preliminary agenda @ Beijing, 2011/09/26-27

Day 1: Sept. 26th
1) Intro, logistic

2) Deep dive

Day 2: Sept. 27th

4) Path forward

  5 hours

Name

I-D

Scheduled

1.

X. Deng

1. Architectural considerations of Stateless A+P with a focus on SMAP
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-behave-ipv6-portrange-04>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-behave-ipv6-portrange-04
2. DHCPv6 Options for Shared IP Addresses Solutions
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-dhcpv6-shared-address-option-00>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-dhcpv6-shared-address-option-00

2.

Peng Wu

DHCPv4 over IPv6
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cui-softwire-dhcp-over-tunnel/>http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cui-softwire-dhcp-over-tunnel/

3.

Naoki Matsuhira

Motivation for developing SA46T and SA46T-AS
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsuhira-sa46t-motivation-00>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsuhira-sa46t-motivation-00
SA46T & SA46T-AS technology dive
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsuhira-sa46t-spec-02>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsuhira-sa46t-spec-02
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsuhira-sa46t-as-00>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matsuhira-sa46t-as-00

4.

Tetsuya Murakami

IPv4 Residual Deployment on IPv6 infrastructure - protocol specification
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-murakami-softwire-4rd-00>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-murakami-softwire-4rd-00

5.

Jacni Qin

Stateless Address Mapping for IPv4 Residual Deployment (4rd)
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-despres-softwire-4rd-addmapping-00>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-despres-softwire-4rd-addmapping-00

6.

Wojciech Dec

1. Stateless 4Via6 Address Sharing
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dec-stateless-4v6>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dec-stateless-4v6
2. Stateless port mapping algorithms overview

7.

Qiong Sun

Lightweight 4over6
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cui-softwire-b4-translated-ds-lite-01>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cui-softwire-b4-translated-ds-lite-01

8.

Xing Li

1. dIVI-pd: Dual-Stateless IPv4/IPv6 Translation with Prefix Delegation
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-xli-behave-divi-pd/>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-xli-behave-divi-pd/
2. dIVI: Dual-Stateless IPv4/IPv6 Translation
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-xli-behave-divi/>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-xli-behave-divi/

9.

Gang Chen

1. 4via6 Stateless Translation
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-murakami-softwire-4v6-translation-00>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-murakami-softwire-4v6-translation-00
2. Prefix Delegation in 4V6
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chen-softwire-4v6-pd-00.txt>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chen-softwire-4v6-pd-00.txt

_______________________________________________
Softwires mailing list
<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 21:57:10 -0700

Alain

Sent from my iPad