Subject: Re: [Softwires] [BEHAVE] Last Call: <draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-06.txt> (Dual Stack Hosts Using "Bump-in-the-Host" (BIH)) to Proposed Standard

From: Linfeng Zheng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:39:58 +0800

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Rajiv Asati (rajiva) <rajiva at
cisco.com> wrote:
agree

> Hi Cameron,

>
> Very interesting (& clever indeed).
>
>
> How does this clever code ensure that all but a few (pesky apps)
> continue to use IPv6 interface instead of the NAT46 interface?

Rajiv,

DNS64 is used.  So anything that can take  a AAAA will use a AAAA and
the native IPv6 path, with or without NAT64 -- as needed.

If the application itself delivers an IPv4 literal via protocols like
MSN or Skype, there is a path and socket made available, that is what
this NAT46 code does.

As i mentioned before, i don't like this.  But, i respect that it
works and it solves a real problem for users of these ipv4-only apps.
I personally find it easy to live with only IP version agnostic apps
that work well in an IPv6-only NAT64/DNS64 network.  I have been
eating this "dog food" for over 18 months.  I am happy to let the
market and eco-system punish apps for not supporting IPv6, and for the
market to reward apps that do support IPv6.

I believe draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-06 has too narrow of a scope to
be useful since it explicitly does NOT support IPv4-only apps talking
to IPv4  servers over an IPv6-only network

Cameron

> Cheers,
> Rajiv

-- 
光明所结的果子就是一切良善、公义、诚实。       弗5:9

郑林峰 John Linfeng Zheng
电话（Tel): 86-25-8577-1689
手机（Mobile): 15195762065