Subject: [Softwires] RFC 7596 on Lightweight 4over6: An Extension to the Dual-Stack Lite Architecture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 17:36:18 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7596

        Title:      Lightweight 4over6: An Extension to 
                    the Dual-Stack Lite Architecture 
        Author:     Y. Cui, Q. Sun,
                    M. Boucadair, T. Tsou,
                    Y. Lee, I. Farrer
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 47038
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-softwire-lw4over6-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7596

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7596

Dual-Stack Lite (DS-Lite) (RFC 6333) describes an architecture for
transporting IPv4 packets over an IPv6 network.  This document
specifies an extension to DS-Lite called "Lightweight 4over6", which
moves the Network Address and Port Translation (NAPT) function from
the centralized DS-Lite tunnel concentrator to the tunnel client
located in the Customer Premises Equipment (CPE).  This removes the
requirement for a Carrier Grade NAT function in the tunnel
concentrator and reduces the amount of centralized state that must be
held to a per-subscriber level.  In order to delegate the NAPT
function and make IPv4 address sharing possible, port-restricted IPv4
addresses are allocated to the CPEs.

This document is a product of the Softwires Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC