Subject: [lamps] Protocol Action: 'Internationalized Email Addresses in X.509 certificates' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-lamps-eai-addresses-18.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 05:49:09 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Internationalized Email Addresses in X.509 certificates'
  (draft-ietf-lamps-eai-addresses-18.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX
and SMIME Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Eric Rescorla.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-eai-addresses/

(1) What type of RFC is being requested (BCP, Proposed Standard,
Internet Standard, Informational, Experimental, or Historic)?  Why
is this the proper type of RFC?  Is this type of RFC indicated in the
title page header?

   Proposed Standard

(2) The IESG approval announcement includes a Document Announcement
Write-Up. Please provide such a Document Announcement Write-Up. Recent
examples can be found in the "Action" announcements for approved
documents. The approval announcement contains the following sections:

Technical Summary

   This document defines a new name form for inclusion in the otherName
   field of an X.509 Subject Alternative Name and Issuer Alternate Name
   extension that allows a certificate subject to be associated with an
   Internationalized Email Address.

Working Group Summary

   The LAMPS WG reviewed the document and reached consensus on the
   content.

Document Quality

   Vendors associated with major implementations of S/MIME have
   indicated that they intend to support EAI, and this capability
   is needed for them to do so.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Russ Housley
   Responsible Area Director: Eric Rescorla