Subject: [lamps] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lamps-samples-02.txt

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 23:09:58 -0400

Hi folks--

Below is a synthesized report of version 02 of draft-ietf-lamps-samples.

For whatever reason, the datatracker choked mid-submission and the
e-mail alert never went out (i reported that here as requested by the
datatracker: https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/ticket/3277)

Main differences between -01 and -02 (from the document changelog):

 - Added cross-signed certificates for both CAs
 - Added S/MIME Capabilities extension for Carlos and Dana's encryption keys, indicating preferred ECDH parameters.
 - Ensure no serial numbers are negative.
 - Encode keyUsage extensions in minimum-length BIT STRINGs.

I'm not at all certain that the X25519 ECDH certificates encode the
SMIMECapabilities extension correctly, so I'd appreciate feedback from
anyone who is set up to inspect (and, ideally, use) this extension.

The cross-signed CA certs should now make it possible to use these for
tests of chains and path-following.

Thanks to David A. Cooper for identifying subtle flaws in the sample
certificates!

      --dkg

--------------------
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX and SMIME WG of the IETF.

        Title           : S/MIME Example Keys and Certificates
        Author          : Daniel Kahn Gillmor
        Filename        : draft-ietf-lamps-samples-02.txt
        Pages           : 24
        Date            : 2021-05-03

Abstract:
   The S/MIME development community benefits from sharing samples of
   signed or encrypted data.  This document facilitates such
   collaboration by defining a small set of X.509v3 certificates and
   keys for use when generating such samples.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-samples/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-lamps-samples-02.html

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

[ 4-line signature. Click/Enter to show. ]
_______________________________________________
Spasm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/spasm