Subject: [lamps] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lamps-samples-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 14:34:47 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX and SMIME WG of the IETF.

        Title           : S/MIME Example Keys and Certificates
        Author          : Daniel Kahn Gillmor
	Filename        : draft-ietf-lamps-samples-04.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2021-05-18

Abstract:
   The S/MIME development community benefits from sharing samples of
   signed or encrypted data.  This document facilitates such
   collaboration by defining a small set of X.509v3 certificates and
   keys for use when generating such samples.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-samples/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-lamps-samples-04.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-lamps-samples-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 17:44:58 -0400

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-lamps-samples-04.txt

from the changelog:

--------
Substantive Changes from draft-ietf-*-03 to draft-ietf-*-04

 - Order subject/issuer DN components by scope.
 - Put cross-signed intermediate CA certificates into PKCS#12 instead of self-signed root CA certificates.
--------

If there are any outstanding issues with the draft, I'm unaware of them.

Please review and give feedback on the list!

In particular, while we've had useful discussions around certificate
linting, best practice, and conventions, I have not heard much from the
WG about:

 - Attempts to use any of these objects in existing MUA or other
   S/MIME-handling tooling.

 - The PKCS#12 objects.

Feedback on either of these particular points would be very welcome.

       --dkg