Subject: RE: [Enum] RE: [Speermint] and are phone numbers a borken addressingsystem?

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 13:51:46 -0500

> Coming to the point: 
> What about peering for presence and IM? 

If you read the new speermint charter, I hope you will agree that this
is considered an in-scope item.  A real-time communications session is a
session, no matter the user part of the URI.  However, we tried to be
clear that the priority was first to fix this for VoIP, which is
presumed to be telephone-number-based.  After that, we'll advance to
non-TN-based real-time session peering.  The problems we'll need to
solve from a speermint perspective will largely be the same in either
case - service providers (domains) will all have the same anti-abuse and
trust concerns.  The only variances may be in the bandwidth required for
various types of sessions, but who knows.

>From the charter:
"While voice calls are the primary motivation for this today, other
forms of real-time communications are and will continue to evolve as
natural additions to such peering."

Jason

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 09:43:08 -0600

He charter item is not satisfactory IMHO:

So even if the IM companies (and they carry most of the public VoIP traffic)
would like to interconnect, they would have to wait indefinitely for a
standard from this WG.

I suggest to plan 5 minutes for a hum during the meeting and don't mind if
the outcome will be still "VoIP only". We would have tried at least to make
the WG relevant to the larger IM+VoIP market.

Thanks, Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: Livingood, Jason [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 12:52 PM
To: [email-masked]; Pfautz, Penn L, NEO; Klaus Darilion; Duane
Cc: David Meyer; [email-masked]; lconroy; Tony Rutkowski
Subject: RE: [Enum] RE: [Speermint] and are phone numbers a borken
addressingsystem?

Jason