Subject: [Speermint] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-speermint-reqs-and-terminology-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:50:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: SPEERMINT Requirements and Terminology

	Author(s)	: D. Meyer
	Filename	: draft-ietf-speermint-reqs-and-terminology-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2006-2-15
	
   This document outlines the solutions space requirements and defines
   the terminology that is to be used by the Session PEERing for
   Multimedia INTerconnect Working Group (SPEERMINT).  It has as its
   primary objective to focus the working group during its discussions,
   and when writing requirements, gap analysis and other solutions
   oriented documents.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-speermint-reqs-and-terminology-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-speermint-reqs-and-terminology-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-speermint-reqs-and-terminology-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: "Pfautz, Penn L, NEO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:43:33 -0500

A couple of comments re this draft:

1. Section 3.3 "No Blocked Calls" indicates that "An originating Voice
Service Provider, or VSP, must be able to
   determine whether a SIP URI is open for direct interconnection
without actually sending a SIP INVITE."
I'd like to clarify that this determination should be respect to
interconnection generally to the domain in question but NOT necessarily
a specific E.164 number where CRD is derived from ENUM.  The reason for
this is to avoid divulging whether a particular number that may be
served by a carrier of record is in service or not. The point is to
avoid making ENUM look-up a data mining opportunity for discovering
unpublished numbers without actually making a call attempt.

2.Section 4.4 defines Network thus "For purposes of this document and
the VOIPEER and ENUM Working
   Groups, a network is defined to be the set of SIP servers and end-
   users (customers) that are controlled by a single administrative
   domain."
I would argue that this document cannot define "network" for the ENUM WG
only for the Speermint WG. Nor it is clear to me that the proposed
definition is appropriate to the ENUM WG which is not just about SIP.
Second, while I understand what is being proposed, I think it would be
less confusing to explicitly qualify network as layer 3 or layer 5 in
each instance or to have a distinguished term, e.g., "VSP network" that
specifically  ties to the definition about rather than trying to bound
the general term in the manner proposed.

Penn

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Speermint]
I-DACTION:draft-ietf-speermint-reqs-and-terminology-00.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Author(s)	: D. Meyer
	Filename	:
draft-ietf-speermint-reqs-and-terminology-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2006-2-15

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-speermint-reqs-and-termin
ology-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-speermint-reqs-and-terminology-00.txt".

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-speermint-reqs-and-terminology-00.txt".
	
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:53:26 -0800

Penn,

	First, thanks for the comments.

> unpublished numbers without actually making a call attempt.

	Good point. I'll catch that (with appropriate wording) in
	the next rev.

> definition is appropriate to the ENUM WG which is not just about SIP.

	Sure, we can revisit that text.

> the general term in the manner proposed.

	Well taken. Let me think about how to do that in an
	economical fashion.

	Thanks,

	Dave