Subject: RE: [Speermint] Some clarifications

From: "Medhavi Bhatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:11:50 -0500

Hi Duane,

> Medhavi Bhatia wrote:
> >>> I am wondering if things like TRIP/TGREP have been considered
> >>> as well (or modifications thereof).
> >> 	While I'm not really sure what you are asking here, it is
> >> 	certainly the case that if we wind up with use cases that
> >> 	require TRIP, for example, then yes.
> >>
> >
> > I think besides peer policy which may be mostly static, there are
more
> > dynamic reasons why calls may be rejected, for example capacity and
> > bandwidth limitations which change at runtime. Sometimes routes may
also
> > change fast enough that a more realtime solution than DNS may be
> > desirable. Since the priority#1 is E.164/VoIP peering, TRIP came to
my
> > mind and I want to hear from people on the list as to what they
think
> > about it.
> 
> Aren't such notifications already built-in into existing protocols
such
> as SIP?

I am not aware of any. There are two use cases:

Routing: TRIP can provide more realtime information on Routing. I think
ENUM has significant advantages as well and maybe a combined approach
can be devised

Bandwidth/Capacity etc: I don't know of any notifications built into SIP
at this point, but I remember TGREP being used to advertise some of this
information to peers. I don't think an ENUM based solution is elegant.

Cheers,
-Medhavi. 

> --
> Best regards,
>   Duane

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: Duane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:03:26 -0500

> information to peers. I don't think an ENUM based solution is elegant.

Perhaps I'm thinking of discussions over SER or Asterisk where there was 
discussions on modules that check loads and other system resources and 
return temp failures if anything exceeds to force traffic to take other 
routes.

-- 

Best regards,
  Duane

http://www.cacert.org - Free Security Certificates
http://www.nodedb.com - Think globally, network locally
http://www.sydneywireless.com - Telecommunications Freedom
http://e164.org - Using Enum.164 to interconnect asterisk servers

"In the long run the pessimist may be proved right,
     but the optimist has a better time on the trip."