Subject: RE: [Enum] RE: [Speermint] and are phone numbers a borken addressingsystem?

From: "Pfautz, Penn L, NEO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:52:22 -0500

Henry: 

By
So even if the IM companies (and they carry most of the public VoIP
traffic)
would like to interconnect, they would have to wait indefinitely for a
standard from this WG.

Do you refer to IM companies interconnecting for IM for VoIP?

Penn

-----Original Message-----
From: Henry Sinnreich [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 10:43 AM
To: 'Livingood, Jason'; Pfautz, Penn L, NEO; 'Klaus Darilion'; 'Duane'
Cc: 'David Meyer'; [email-masked]; 'lconroy'; 'Tony Rutkowski'
Subject: RE: [Enum] RE: [Speermint] and are phone numbers a borken
addressingsystem?

He charter item is not satisfactory IMHO:

"While voice calls are the primary motivation for this today, other
forms of real-time communications are and will continue to evolve as
natural additions to such peering."

So even if the IM companies (and they carry most of the public VoIP
traffic)
would like to interconnect, they would have to wait indefinitely for a
standard from this WG.

I suggest to plan 5 minutes for a hum during the meeting and don't mind
if
the outcome will be still "VoIP only". We would have tried at least to
make
the WG relevant to the larger IM+VoIP market.

Thanks, Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: Livingood, Jason [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 12:52 PM
To: [email-masked]; Pfautz, Penn L, NEO; Klaus Darilion; Duane
Cc: David Meyer; [email-masked]; lconroy; Tony Rutkowski
Subject: RE: [Enum] RE: [Speermint] and are phone numbers a borken
addressingsystem?

> Coming to the point: 
> What about peering for presence and IM? 

If you read the new speermint charter, I hope you will agree that this
is considered an in-scope item.  A real-time communications session is a
session, no matter the user part of the URI.  However, we tried to be
clear that the priority was first to fix this for VoIP, which is
presumed to be telephone-number-based.  After that, we'll advance to
non-TN-based real-time session peering.  The problems we'll need to
solve from a speermint perspective will largely be the same in either
case - service providers (domains) will all have the same anti-abuse and
trust concerns.  The only variances may be in the bandwidth required for
various types of sessions, but who knows.

>From the charter:
"While voice calls are the primary motivation for this today, other
forms of real-time communications are and will continue to evolve as
natural additions to such peering."

Jason

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:34:36 -0600

Penn,

>Do you refer to IM companies interconnecting for IM for VoIP?

Yes. This is an excellent question.

Users of IM and VoIP would NOT appreciate having to use VoIP from one
provider and IM+presence  from another. Nor would the IT administrator.
Such an assumption is pretty self defeating.

All IM companies provide this together and this may be part of the
explanation why they carry most of the public VoIP minutes. 

IMHO the SPEER WG must include SIMPLE peering to be relevant at all.

Thanks, Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: Pfautz, Penn L, NEO [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 9:52 AM
To: [email-masked]; Livingood, Jason; Klaus Darilion; Duane
Cc: David Meyer; [email-masked]; lconroy; Tony Rutkowski
Subject: RE: [Enum] RE: [Speermint] and are phone numbers a borken
addressingsystem?

Henry: 

By

Penn

-----Original Message-----
From: Henry Sinnreich [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 10:43 AM
To: 'Livingood, Jason'; Pfautz, Penn L, NEO; 'Klaus Darilion'; 'Duane'
Cc: 'David Meyer'; [email-masked]; 'lconroy'; 'Tony Rutkowski'
Subject: RE: [Enum] RE: [Speermint] and are phone numbers a borken
addressingsystem?

Thanks, Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: Livingood, Jason [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 12:52 PM
To: [email-masked]; Pfautz, Penn L, NEO; Klaus Darilion; Duane
Cc: David Meyer; [email-masked]; lconroy; Tony Rutkowski
Subject: RE: [Enum] RE: [Speermint] and are phone numbers a borken
addressingsystem?

Jason