Subject: RE: [Speermint] and are phone numbers a borken addressing system?

From: "Pfautz, Penn L, NEO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 08:49:20 -0500

All neat stuff I'm sure. But it lacks the kind of universality and
authoritativeness that are ultimately required for a system that's going
to be more than an adjunct, however popular. 
My point about IM was simply that the major offers don't make much of an
attempt to interoperate which puts them where the telephone system was
about a century ago when you could only call me if we had the same phone
company. Likewise the   "non-connected" VoIP systems: how does
Googletalk interwork with Skype? 
Pity, because IP handles the interconnection problem (at layer 3) so
elegantly compared to the phone network. The object of Speermint is do
bring this elegance to layer 5. I hope we'll do that, but if you want to
make the PSTN go away you'll need an industrial strength addressing
system. ENUM is great because is marries the good properties of E.164 to
the flexibility of the net. I haven't seen anything else that gets the
whole job done.

My personal view...

Penn  

-----Original Message-----
From: Klaus Darilion [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 3:29 AM
To: Duane
Cc: Pfautz, Penn L, NEO; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Tony
Rutkowski; lconroy
Subject: Re: [Speermint] Re: [Enum] a suggestion re: using flags
todistinguish post-ENUM signaling f lows

Duane wrote:
> Pfautz, Penn L, NEO wrote:
> 
>> Right now, however, phone numbers are a little like democracy - "the
>> worst system imaginable except for all others"
>> P2P folks don't seem serious about interoperability  (look at IM) and
>> only TNs provide reachability from the PSTN.
> 
> 
> Not entirely true, the guys from Jabber use enum lookups and resolve 
> Jabber IDs from our zone (e164.org).
> 
> Also we're currently working on plugins for thunderbird/firefox to do 
> phone number to email/website with the idea of unification on business

> cards of 10 different pieces of contact information to just a phone 
> number if people want to go that route.

FYI: There already exists a firefox plugin (firefox 1.0.x only).
http://falb.at/enum4firefox/enummapper-0.1.0.xpi

regards
klaus

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 08:47:35 -0600

Penn,

I have to agree with you:

>about a century ago when you could only call me if we had the same phone.

Maybe the time is right for another Theodore Vail.

Also, the IM companies carry most of the VoIP traffic and have by far the
largest number of users. Only the new Microsoft IM and Yahoo IM are SIP. AOL
and Google have the "intention" to support SIP and Skype uses SIP to
interconnect to PSTN gateway providers. My Skype reads 5,259,584 users
online...

Maybe folks on the list have more accurate information.

Coming to the point: 
What about peering for presence and IM? 
Or should we wait for another Theodore Vail?

Thanks, Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Pfautz, Penn L, NEO
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 7:49 AM
To: Klaus Darilion; Duane
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; lconroy; Tony Rutkowski
Subject: RE: [Speermint] and are phone numbers a borken addressing system?

My personal view...

Penn  

-----Original Message-----
From: Klaus Darilion [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 3:29 AM
To: Duane
Cc: Pfautz, Penn L, NEO; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Tony
Rutkowski; lconroy

regards
klaus