Subject: [Speermint] Tel URI phone-context

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:53:33 +0100

James McEachern wrote:
> 
> Section 4.4 states that tel URIs are out of scope for Speermint.  
> However, the tel URI phone context can contain a domain name, which 
> section 5.2 identifies as the "primary key to any information
regarding reachability".
> If a tel URI contains a domain name in the phone context, should it 
> still be out of scope for Speermint?  Are we assuming that it must 
> first be translated into a SIP URI?

The phone context is used only with local numbers and is defined in RFC
3966:

"Local numbers MUST have a 'phone-context' parameter that identifies
   the scope of their validity.  The parameter MUST be chosen to
   identify the local context within which the number is unique
   unambiguously.  Thus, the combination of the descriptor in the
   'phone-context' parameter and local number is again globally unique.
   The parameter value is defined by the assignee of the local number.
   It does NOT indicate a prefix that turns the local number into a
   global (E.164) number.

   There are two ways to label the context:  via a global number or any
   number of its leading digits (e.g., "+33") and via a domain name,
   e.g., "houston.example.com".  The choice between the two is left to
   the "owner" of the local number and is governed by whether there is a
   global number or domain name that is a valid identifier for a
   particular local number.

   The domain name does not have to resolve to any actual host but MUST
   be under the administrative control of the entity managing the local
   phone context.

The last paragraph clearly states that a domain name is used only to
provide uniqueness and NOT to be used within to query the DNS or to be
used for routing.

Regards

Richard

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint