Subject: [Speermint] SIP Call Establishment and media routing over a VoIP peering interconnect.

From: "Reinaldo Penno" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:54:19 -0500

Hello,

I read the proposed agenda of this WG and was wondering about the work
on 

"In addition, the working group recognizes that
there will be use cases that require SPEERMINT to focus on the
interaction between the application layer and lower network
layers, or the dependence of specific application layer use
cases on lower layers, so SPEERMINT will have to be prepared to
solve these problems as they arise."

Is this WG going to tackle the problem where a DNS/ENUM/whatever lookup
decides the next-hop VoIP media takes on a VoIP peering interconnection?

I'm not talking about end-to-end QoS, reservations or some all
encompassing solution. It is the specific case of VoIP peering
interconnect. 

For example, if two layer 3/5 devices are connected by many links, the
result of a lookup during SIP Call establishment (between two VoIP
domains), would direct media traffic for a certain call (or group of
calls), over link A instead of B. 

Thanks,

Reinaldo

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:36:56 -0800

draft-wing-session-auth-00.txt can be used to provide that function.
Draft-wing-session-auth-00 currently discusses firewalls which are typically
binary devices that deny flows by default and accept flows by exception.  I
kept that focus because people are familiar with firewalls at the edge of a
network.

However, the same technique introduced by draft-wing-session-auth can be
used for other functions including the function you describe in your email
below.  Afterall, once you have identified and authorized a certain flow you
can then do anything to it you want -- block it, give it different DSCP
values, stick it into a different tunnel or interface, teleport the flow to
the moon, or whatever you like.

Draft-wing-session-auth is on the agenda for the upcoming SPEERMINT working
group meeting in Dallas.

-d

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Reinaldo Penno [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 3:54 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Speermint] SIP Call Establishment and media routing 
> over a VoIPpeering interconnect.
> 
> Hello,
>