Subject: RE: [Speermint] Definition of "Peering"

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 21:09:15 -0400

> I think we should work on improving the charter and the 
> requirements i.e. stick to ou knitting - this is only a 
> little IETF WG ;-)

It would be a shame to have to go back to the charter so soon.  I am not
so sure I see a clear reason for doing so, as of yet.  But your point of
focusing on requirements and focusing in general is an excellent one!

With respect to the current discussion of the definition of Peering, may
I refer everyone to the most recent draft the the Terminology document
(excerpted below).  We hope to close that out by July of this year.  So
may I humbly suggest that if folks have suggested changes to this, that
they get comments to Dave as soon as possible.

Thanks
Jason

3.7.  Peering

   While the precise definition of the term "peering" is the subject of
   some debate, peering in general refers to the negotiation of
   reciprocal interconnection arrangements, settlement-free or
   otherwise, between operationally independent service providers.
   This document distinguishes two types of peering, Layer 3 Peering and
   Layer 5 peering, which are described below.

3.7.1.  Layer 3 Peering

   Layer 3 peering refers to interconnection of two service providers
   for the purposes of exchanging IP packets.  Layer 3 peering is
   generally agnostic to the IP payload, and is frequently achieved
   using a routing protocol such as BGP [RFC1771] to exchange the
   required routing information.

3.7.2.  Layer 5 Peering

   Layer 5 peering refers to interconnection of two service providers
   for the purposes of SIP signaling.  Note that in the layer 5 peering
   case, there is no intervening network.  That is, for purposes of this
   discussion, there is no such thing as a "Layer 5 Transit Network".

3.8.  VoIP Peering

   VoIP peering is defined to be a layer 5 peering between two VoIP
   providers for purposes of routing real-time (or quasi-real time) call
   signaling between their respective customers.  Media streams
   associated with this signaling (if any) are not constrained to follow
   the same set of paths.

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 21:09:12 -0400

> >Balkanized? Walled gardens? Net-Neutrality? 
>  
> and political
> 

Yes, I think the Political Layer is Layer 8 or 9 or something like that.
;-)  

Jason