Subject: [Speermint] 2 Basic Constructs for SIP Peering

From: "Uzelac, Adam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 10:36:45 -0400

I have gnawed on the latest series of threads, and while wadding through
the noise and rhetoric, it appears to me that there are 2 basic
constructs for SIP peering.  Subscribing to Brian's notion that we must
try to keep this simple - at least at this stage - it seems to boil down
to the following: (I acknowledge that there may be contextual
variations)

Option A) Session routing by 3rd party.  

 S
 /\
O--T

In this model, O-Network queries S-Network (signaling) for routing
options.  S-Network redirects or proxies signaling request to T-network.
There is an assumption that L3 connectivity exists between all three,
though S-Network would not be transit for media, but possible for
signaling.  The media flows directly from O-Network to T-Network.

Option B) Direct bi-lateral routing.

O--T

In this model, O-Network signals T-Network directly, and receives
routing instructions.  Media would follow the same relationship, maybe
not the same path, but same bi-lateral relationship.  Should there be
more than one L3 peering point, any peering point may be used, but it
all follows the same contextual relationship between O-Network and
T-Network.

I find it possible to apply either Option A or Option B to public,
private, and even carrier (even carrier pigeon) environments.  Maybe I
am pointing out the obvious, but that's OK as I have been often accused
of being master of the obvious.  ;)

Adam Uzelac

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:04:40 -0400

I think people want to have option c

O-S-T

That is, the media goes through S as well as the signaling.

I think that is agnostic to public/private/carrier
I don't think it changes much.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Uzelac, Adam [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2006 10:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Speermint] 2 Basic Constructs for SIP Peering

 S
 /\
O--T

O--T

Adam Uzelac

---

From: "Hadriel Kaplan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 21:59:05 -0400

Hi Adam,

If S is doing a redirect/proxy, isn't it just the location lookup mechanism
for O--T?  (a trusted+shared location-lookup)

So there's really just:
  L
 / 
O---T.

Whereby L is "lookup" - could be DNS, SIP, SQL, LRQ... :)

-hadriel