Subject: RE: [Speermint] Reachability

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 00:50:43 -0400

> >Most consumers on the planet Earth are in private address spaces at 
> >this point I think (i.e., 192.168.x.x), and many Enterprises are as 
> >well.  Entire networks in some countries are privately 
> addressed, yet 
> >they are members of, and use, the Internet.
>  
> Yes, but if you put your mailserver  only in 192.168.x.x, you 
> will get a problem

But this is an excellent example.  I may publish a single MX record for
my inbound email MTAs.  That is a port 25 load balancer virtual IP for
example.  Behind it is a private IP space of a hundred anti-spam /
anti-virus MTAs, behind which may be dozens of mailstores.  A domain,
for legitimate purposes, may not reveal all of that in publicly routable
space (or if it does, perhaps the routes are unannounced), but the
ingress point and associated addressing *must* be public (as with
egress) if one intendes to exchanges messages with the outside world via
the Internet.  Hence, your discussion of a public address of record that
translates into a publically-addressed element of some kind.  I believe
similar service provider (domain) examples may be found in SIP peering
as we progress our work.  And there will be everything else in between
as well.

Jason

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint