Subject: RE: [Speermint] RE: Background Reading on NGNInterconnect-transit vs peering

From: "Roy, Radhika R." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:44:05 -0400

Folks:
 
Brian is right.
 
Layer 7 is only signaling-message aware, and has no clue about the lower IP
network layer routing schemes. In terms of media, it (layer 7) is only
carrying the identifier of media addresses provided by UAC and UAS. In fact,
media addresses remain in the message body, and a SIP proxy is not aware
what is going in the message body.
 
So, SIP proxy is only ware of signaling of messages between the proxies and
UAC and UAS assuming that both UAS and UAC are also layer 7-aware entity.
One can say that this is layer 7 server-server routing scheme.
 
Best regards,
Radhika

  _____  

From: [email-masked] on behalf of Brian Rosen
Sent: Fri 4/7/2006 8:00 AM
To: Reinaldo Penno; Medhavi Bhatia; Otmar Lendl; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Speermint] RE: Background Reading on NGNInterconnect-transitvs
peering

> So the SIP proxy is at L7.  If that L7 entity tells a router how to 
route 
> a 
> flow (at L3 or worse, sub IP), then you have a layer violation. 
[[Reinaldo]] 

I believe this is where we part ways. I see what you mean, but I 
interpret it differently. I think routing of the media associated with a 
L7 SIP routing decision is also a L7 routing decision since it is all 
part of the same call. 

<BR> Perhaps you would care to explain what protocol is doing this and how 
it works.  I don't think we are defining new protocols here.  I'm not aware 
of any L7 protocol already defined that could reasonably be used to route 
media with any more specificity than SIP now does (which ultimately is a 
direct path between UAS and UAC).  You seem to be implying that there is an 
L7 protocol, not SIP, which some peering element would use to cause media to

flow between the UAS and UAC via some set of ?what? L7 Intermediaries? 
Routers? Links? Sub-IP tunnels?  What protocol would that be? 

Brian 

_______________________________________________ 
Speermint mailing list 
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint
<https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint>  

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint