Subject: Re: [Speermint] Voice codecs

From: Otmar Lendl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 08:28:14 +0200

Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

On 2006/07/31 23:07, Daryl Malas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I agree with Geoff's statement below.
> 
> On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 14:52 -0400, Geoff Devine wrote:
> > That sounds good to me.  
> > 
> > I'd point out that different federations are likely to have different
> > ideas about what makes up the "minimal codec".  In broadband-oriented
> > federations, that would likely be G.711.  In cellular-centric
> > federations that are converging to IP transport, it's more likely to be
> > their native client compression codec.  If eBay created one based on
> > Skype, it could very well be iLBC.
> > 
> > I think we all agree that transcoding is something we want to avoid but
> > we need to come up with an architecture that takes it into account. 
> > 
> > Geoff
> > 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Brian Rosen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> > Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 2:39 PM
> > To: Geoff Devine; 'Livingood, Jason'; [email-masked]
> > Cc: 'Greg Herlein'; 'Ed Okerson'; 'Lipford,Mark A [CTO]'; 'Klaus
> > Darilion'; 'Henry Sinnreich'
> > Subject: RE: [Speermint] Voice codecs
> > 
> > Okay, makes sense.  So, maybe it's more like, the federation agrees on
> > minimal codec support, and participants must be prepared to transcode to
> > that minimal set if their endpoints need it.
> > 
> > I don't think you can mandate anything that guarantees only one
> > transcode.
> > However desirable it may be.
> > 

-- 
< Otmar Lendl ([email-masked]) | nic.at Systems Engineer >

_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: "Khan, Sohel Q [CTO]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 17:44:07 -0500

How about the following statements:

"IETF SPEERMINT shall not mandate a codec or a minimum set of codecs.
IETF VoIP peering documents will specify/reference Codec
negotiation/discovery techniques among providers. Members of a
federation will mutually determine a minimum acceptable set of codec and
support of transcoding functions."

"IETF SPEERMINT shall not mandate a codec or a minimum set of codecs.
IETF VoIP peering documents will specify/reference Codec
negotiation/discovery techniques among providers. Members of a
federation will mutually determine a minimum acceptable set of codec and
support of transcoding functions. Trascoding required for a call
originating from outside the federation ...(?).  IETF SPEERMINT may
recommend (as opposed to mandate) the following codecs ... as default"
 
Thanks.

Sohel Khan