Subject: [Speermint] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-speermint-architecture-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session PEERing for Multimedia INTerconnect Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SPEERMINT Peering Architecture 
	Author(s)	: R. Penno
	Filename	: draft-ietf-speermint-architecture-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 2006-8-9
	
This document defines a SPEERMINT peering reference architecture, its 
functional components and peering interface functions.   

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-speermint-architecture-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-speermint-architecture-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-speermint-architecture-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: "Khan, Sohel Q [CTO]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:33:35 -0500

Thanks Richard for the input. 
While we will consider your input prior the interim meeting, it will be
nice to work this out face to face during the interim meeting. 

IMHO we certainly need to add use case for the private network and
interworking between private and public networks.

-- Sohel

-----Original Message-----
From: Stastny Richard [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 5:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Speermint] I-D
ACTION:draft-ietf-speermint-architecture-00.txt 

Folks,

I have some serious problems with this draft:

Here only the major issues:

1. Figure 1 on page 4

Figure 1 shows the Public Internet and a Service Provider Private
Network. It also shows a Layer 3 peering point (obviously a NAT/SBC),
which is out of scope.

The remainder of the document is basically only talking about peering
via the public Internet and also on page 3 there is no Interconnection
between public and private networks.

So why not dump the private part completely if there is no use case
describing the interworking?

1a: In figure 1 there is also a distinction between SPs and enterprises,
which is not used later in the document

2. Section 3 Procedures on page 5 is listing 8 procedures which have
only a slight mapping the 4 functions mentioned in section 4.

3. Section 4 Functions general

IMO the scope of the functions still needs some work, as also elaborated
later. Especially the LF is a bit getting ahead of itself by developing
end-users IP address and port in front of PF and SF.

4. Location function

4a. Section 5.1.1 is out of scope, but may be useful for information.

What is missing in section 5.1.1 is the analysis and treatment of
non-E.164 numbers (emergency numbers and others)

4b Section 5.1.2 to 5.1.4

ENUM is basically out of scope in spearmint, but could be useful for
information.

IMO opinion the User ENUM Lookup is only optional (also on the calling
user side). A SP may only query User ENUM if the end-user wants it.

5.1.3 should be called Infrastructure ENUM. What is missing here is the
optional querying of private ENUM

4c. Section 5.1.5

This is where Speermint starts, either receiving a SIP URI direct or via
ENUM. 

IMO it is now to early to start talking about RFC3263, because We first
need to look-up the policy for this SIP URI. 

5. You first need to use the PF to detect if you may peer and under what
conditions. 

e.g. if you exchange the next hop attributes such as location of the
proxies ...

Although, I always thought this is done with the SRV records, (one also
may do simple load balancing with SRV records)

BTW, I am not sure what maximum allowed bandwidth has to do here

IMO the prime goal of the policy function is to detect if you may send
an INVITE to the target SP or not.

6. TLS

In the PF only the detection of the certificate is handled, the
establishment of the TLS connection belongs already to the SF

These are my major issues

Richard Stastny

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 9:50 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Speermint] I-D
ACTION:draft-ietf-speermint-architecture-00.txt
> [email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the
> message.
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
> username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
> logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
> http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or 
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
> 
> 
> 	"FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-speermint-architecture-00.txt".